Lecture powerpoint--US and Latin America (RD)
Lecture powerpoint - USA and Latin America (BS)
- What explains the US’s persistent involvement in Latin American politics?
- Has US intervention achieved its intended aims?
- Primary source: Monroe, James, “Seventh Annual Message to Congress” (the “Monroe Doctrine”), 1823. There are many electronic versions of this message; try the Library of Congress at: http://www.loc.gov/rr/program/bib/ourdocs/Monroe.html
- Galeano, Eduardo, The Open Veins of Latin America: Five Centuries of the Pillage of a Continent, trans. Cedrick Belfrage, Monthly Review Press (New York, 1973), Chapter 5, “The Contemporary Structure of Plunder”
- Lafeber, Walter, Inevitable Revolutions: The US in Central America, Norton (New York, 1993), Introduction and chapters 1-2.
- Pastor, Robert, Whirlpool: US Foreign Policy towards Latin America and the Caribbean, Princeton University Press (Princeton, 1992).
- Pearce, Jenny, Under the Eagle: Us Intervention in Central America and the Caribbean, South End Press (London, 1982), part I.
- Smith, Peter, Talons of the Eagle: Dynamics of US-Latin American Relations, Oxford University Press (Oxford, 1996), chapters 1-3.