What was the 'Estado Novo'?
What was populism?
Were 'populist' rulers popular, and if so, with whom?
How did 'populist' governments try to incorporate the demands of organised labour? How successful were they?
- Robert M Levine, Father of the Poor? Vargas and his Era (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1998) chapter 3, “The Estado Novo,” pp 50-74 (see library scans page)
- James, Daniel, “October 17th and 18th, 1945: Mass Protest, Peronism, and the Argentine Working Class.” Journal of Social History, 21, 1988, 441-61.
- Dan Hancox, Why Ernesto Laclau is the intellectual figurehead for Syriza and Podemos, http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/feb/09/ernesto-laclau-intellectual-figurehead-syriza-podemos
- Primary source: “Ordinary People,” in The Brazil Reader, eds. Robert Levine and John Crocitti (Durham: Duke University Press, 1999)pp 206-24
- Ciria, Alberto. “Flesh and Fantasy: The Many Faces of Evita (and Juan Perón).” Latin American Research Review, 18 (1983), pp. 150-65.
- Conniff, Michael L, ed., Latin American Populism (University of New Mexico Press, 1982).
- Di Tella, Guido. Argentina under Perón, 1973-1976: The nation’s experience with a labour-based government.
- Fontes, Paulo. Migration and the Making of Industrial Sao Paulo. Duke University Press, 2016. "Introduction." [E-book @Library]
- Fraser, Nicholas. Eva Perón. New York: Norton, 1985.
- Guy, Donna J. Performing Charity and Creating Rights in Argentina, 1880-1955. Durham: Duke, 2009.
- Pike, Fred B. The new corporatism: social-political structures in the Iberian world. University of Notre-Dame Press, 1974.
- Plotkin, Mariano Ben. Mañana es San Perón: A Cultural History of Perón’s Argentina. Wilmington: Scholarly Resources, 2003.
- Oliveira Vianna, “Why the Estado Novo?”, in The Brazil Reader, eds R Levine and J Crocitti, pp 184-6
- Joel Wolfe, “Guest Editor’s Introduction: Getúlio Vargas and his Enduring Legacy for Brazil,” Luso-Brazilian Review, 31-2 (1994): 1-3.
- Oxford Handbook of Latin American History: chapter on labour history [available online @ Library]