Dr Aurelia Dee Wu is currently an Early Career Fellow with the Institute of Advanced Studies (IAS), University of Warwick where she received her PhD degree in English and Comparative Literary Studies in 2020.
Ph.D., University of Warwick, Department of English and Comparative Literary Studies
- Degree conferred in April 2020, following VIVA in January 2020.
- Dissertation: “The Cultural Legacy of Oscar Wilde in Modern China and Beyond (1909–2019)” supervised by Ross Forman
- This dissertation investigates Oscar Wilde’s cultural legacy in contemporary East Asia, particularly on how he has been a commercialised LGBTQ+ figure to the Chinese generation 90s in consuming both cosmetic products and online queer fanfictions. Further to the study in China, it also comparatively studies the appropriation of Wilde’s dandy persona in the Japanese gaming industry and S. Korean musical industry, exploring their perception of LGBTQ+ identity in relation to the women’s right movements in East Asia.
- Fully funded by Warwick–Chinese Scholarship Council Joint Doctoral Scholarship
- Viva Committee: Regenia Gagnier, Stephen Shapiro, Thomas Docherty (Chair)
M.A., University of Warwick, English Literature (Victorian) - 2015, Merit
B.A., Southwest Minzu University, English - 2013, Distinction (GPA 4.0)
- Seminar Tutors: Emily Apter, Michael Puett
- On Scholarship ($900)
- Seminar Tutors: Bruce Robbins, Paul Giles
- Full Tuition Fee Waiver ($1800)
University of Oxford
- St. Edmund Hall College, 2012
- English Literature (Shakespeare)
- The student with Excellence Grades (1/30)
University of Cambridge
- Churchill College, 2012
- British History (1066–1914)
- The student with Excellence Grades (1/30)
- 2021: (Ed.) The Orient and The Empire: Collected Essays on East Asia's Anglophilia and Britain's Oriental Taste (1842-2019). Accepted by Routledge Library Editions: Cultural Studies. In progress.
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles
- 2019: "Oscar Wilde in Sinophone Culture," Global Encyclopedia of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer (LGBTQ) History. Edited by Howard Chiang. Farmington Hills, MI: Charles Scribner’s Sons, 2019. (Reward $300) now is available in Warwick University' Library (requires login). The first encyclopedia to merge global history and LGBTQ history into one resource was named the best reference source of 2019 and won the 2020 Dartmouth Medal.
- 2017: “On Presentism and Historicism: Wilde and the Legacy of Aestheticism in Contemporary China.” V21: Victorian Studies for the 21st Century. 7th, Feb. 2017. Web.
- 2013: “中国“维多利亚现象”背景下王尔德作品的启示” (Subtle Morals in Wilde’s Works for Chinese Young Adults) Wenxue Jiaoyu (Literary Education) 257 (2013): 8-11. (Chinese Core Academic Journal 中文核心期刊)
- 2013: “On Learning Latin’s Advantages for ESL,” Jiaoyu Jie (Education Circle) 105.9 (2013): 154-155.
- 2012: “另类英雄——王尔德和他的纨绔子" (Offbeat Heroes: Wilde and His Dandies). 《作家》Zuojia Zazhi (Writer Magazine) 520 (2012): 125-126. (Chinese Core Academic Journal 中文核心期刊; 国家期刊奖百家重点期刊)
- 2011: “Analysis of Strange Phenomenon among Chinese Group Tourists,” Zhongguo Xibu Keji (Science and Technology in West China) 261.9 (2011): 95-96.
- 2018: FEATURE: THE MEANING AND HISTORY OF THE HANFU DRESS|| Resonate: Global voices on East Asian issues
- 2017: FEATURE: SHOULD I BE OFFENDED BY ‘D&G LOVES CHINA’ CAMPAIGN?|| Resonate: Global voices on East Asian issues
- 2019: IAS (Institute of Advanced Study) Early Career Fellowship, University of Warwick. (￡6000)
- 2019: Humanities Research Fund for Academic Traveling, University of Warwick (£250)
- 2018: Humanities Research Fund for One-Day Interdisciplinary Conference, University of Warwick (£400)
- 2018: Department Supportive Funding, English and Comparative Literary Studies, University of Warwick (£100)
- 2017: Humanities Research Fund for Academic Traveling, University of Warwick (£300)
- 2017: Nominated for 2016-17 Warwick Awards for Teaching Excellence for Postgraduates who Teach
- 2017: Tuition fee waiver from SCT, Cornell University
- 2017: Student Presenter Invited by University of São Paulo with Full Fare Coverage
- 2016: Department International Conferences Additional Bursary (£500)
- 2016: Full Tuition Fee Waiver from IWL Harvard University ($1,800)
- 2015: Warwick-CSC Joint PhD Scholarships for Chinese Students (6/Warwick Chinese Applicants)
- 2013: Outstanding Graduation Thesis of the English Department (2/189) 英语系杰出毕业论文
- 2013: "Excellent Coursework" Grade in CEEDS Exchange Programme at Oxford & Cambridge University (1/30)
- 2012: Chinese National Scholarship for Outstanding University Student (1/189, ¥8000≈£940) 中国国家级奖学金
- 2012: 1st Prize Scholarship, Southwest University for Nationalities (4/189, ¥2000≈£235) 一等奖学金
- 2012: Honorary Title for University Students with Comprehensive Qualities in Sichuan Province (1/425) 四川省大学生“综合素质A级证书”
- 2011: Chinese Finance Ministry Funding for National Undergraduate Training Programs for Innovation and Entrepreneurship (1/1200, ¥17, 000≈£1,997) 中国国家财政部资助大学生创新创业项目
- 2011: Champion of Sichuan & Chongqing Region of the China Daily 21st Century Cup National English Speech Competition 中国日报21世纪杯英语演讲比赛川渝赛区第一名
- 2010: Outstanding Student of Southwest Minzu University 西南民大杰出学生 (6/189)
- 2010: SIFE (now Enactus) China National Competition 1st Prize + Environmental Sustainability Award. 创行中国社会创新大赛全国一等奖、环境可持续奖、西部赛区第一名
吴 荻 Wú Dí
D dot Wu at warwick dot ac dot uk
Please do not contact if you just want to ask whether you can be offered a PhD degree here or not. I'm NOT an admission officer! Thanks!
And the art of life is the art of defiance. To defy. That is what we ought to live for, instead of living, as we do, to acquiesce.
— Robert Hichens, The Green Carnation
Picture Credit: postive-inking
Early Career Representative in the Executive Board of British Association for Victorian Studies (BAVS)
Member of Translators Association of China (TAC)
Fashion Columnist at Resonate: Global voices on East Asian issues
I am a man who loves beautiful yet useless things.
The moon. The stars. The Sun.
Flowers. Lakes. Jokes.
Things like that.
- Kim Hui Seong, Mr. Sunshine (2018)
Picture Credit: original picture by Napoleon Sarony
中文 | English
Français | Español |ру́сский язы́k