PhD (Full Scholarship), University of Warwick, English and Comparative Literary Studies
- Dissertation: “The Cultural Legacy of Oscar Wilde in Modern China and Beyond (1909–2019)”
- Supervised by Ross G. Forman
- Viva Committee: Regenia Gagnier, Stephen Shapiro, Thomas Docherty (Chair)
MA (Distinction), University of Warwick, English Literature (Victorian Studies) - 2015
BA (Hons), Southwest Minzu University, Tsinghua University, English - 2013, Thesis Distinction
- Seminar Tutors: Emily Apter, Michael Puett
- On Scholarship
- Seminar Tutors: Bruce Robbins, Paul Giles
- Full Tuition Fee Waiver
University of Oxford
- St. Edmund Hall College, 2012
- English Literature (Shakespeare)
- The Student with Excellence (1/30)
University of Cambridge
- Churchill College, 2012
- British History (1066–1914)
- The Student with Excellence (1/30)
- 2022: (Ed.) "The Orient and The Empire: On (Neo) Victorian Matters and Asians (1842-2020) Speicial Issue,"
- Global Nineteenth-Century Studies (Edinburgh UP)
- 2022: "Queen Victoria's Changed Images in Modern Sinophone Cultures," Global Nineteenth-Century Studies (Edinburgh UP)
- 2021: "Asian Perspectives on Victorian Studies," Literature Compass
- 2021: "十九世纪文学主流(现实主义、自然主义、象征主义、唯美主义)"《西方文学理论史》，商务印书馆。"Main Currents of 19th Century Literary Schools: Realism, Naturalism, Symbolism and Aestheticism," The Complete History of Western Literary Theories, Commercial Press (Chinese). University of Shanghai Project
- 2021: "Oscar Wilde' Commercial Simucalra in Contemporary Chinese Youth Culture," British Journal of Chinese Studies
Published Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles
- 2019: "Oscar Wilde in Sinophone Culture," Global Encyclopedia of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer (LGBTQ) History. Edited by Howard Chiang. Farmington Hills, MI: Charles Scribner’s Sons, 2019. The first encyclopedia to merge global history and LGBTQ history into one resource was named the best reference source of 2019 and won the 2020 Dartmouth Medal.
- 2017: “On Presentism and Historicism: Wilde and the Legacy of Aestheticism in Contemporary China.” V21: Victorian Studies for the 21st Century. 7th, Feb. 2017. Web.
- 2013: “中国“维多利亚现象”背景下王尔德作品的启示” (Subtle Morals in Wilde’s Works for Chinese Young Adults) 《文学教育》Wenxue Jiaoyu (Literary Education) 257 (2013): 8-11.
- 2013: “拉丁语学习与英语学习的关联性研究 On Learning Latin’s Advantages for ESL,” 《教育界》Jiaoyu Jie (Education Circle) 105.9 (2013): 154-155.
- 2012: “另类英雄——王尔德和他的纨绔子" (Offbeat Heroes: Wilde and His Dandies). 《作家杂志》Zuojia Zazhi (Writer Magazine) 520 (2012): 125-126. (Chinese Core Academic Journal 北大核心期刊)
- 2011: “探究中国游客旅西之怪现状 (Analysis of Strange Phenomenon among Chinese Group Tourists),” 《中国西部科技》Zhongguo Xibu Keji (Science and Technology of West China) 261.9 (2011): 95-96.
- 2018: FEATURE: THE MEANING AND HISTORY OF THE HANFU DRESS|| Resonate: Global voices on East Asian issues
- 2017: FEATURE: SHOULD I BE OFFENDED BY ‘D&G LOVES CHINA CAMPAIGN?|| Resonate: Global voices on East Asian issues
- 2020-21: The Internal Racism within the Chinese Community Series || Prejudice & Pride || Chinese Voices in COVID-19 This is an interdisciplinary research project led by the departments of History, English, and Politics & International Studies, Warwick University. (Finished)
- 2012-13: 中国“维多利亚背景下”王尔德作品的启示，中国国家教育部大学生创新项目，国家级项目. 项目资金1.7万人民币。第一负责人。项目成果，发表两篇论文，其中一篇为北大核心期刊。Oscar Wilde's New Meaning in "Victorianisque" Chinese Society. Chinese National Research Project for University Student. Funding grant: 170K RMB. Project Leader. Research results: 2 published academic papers, 1 is published with Chinese core academic journal. (Finished).
- 2019-20: IAS (Institute of Advanced Study) Early Career Fellowship, University of Warwick. (£6200+)
- 2019: Humanities Research Fund for Academic Traveling, University of Warwick (£250)
- 2018: Humanities Research Fund for One-Day Interdisciplinary Conference, University of Warwick (£400)
- 2018: Department Supportive Funding, English and Comparative Literary Studies, University of Warwick (£100)
- 2017: Humanities Research Fund for Academic Traveling, University of Warwick (£300)
- 2017: 2016/17 Warwick Awards for Teaching Excellence for Postgraduates who Teach
- 2017: Tuition fee waiver from SCT, Cornell University
- 2017: Student Presenter Invited by University of São Paulo with Full Fare Coverage
- 2016: Department International Conferences Additional Bursary (£500)
- 2016: Full Tuition Fee Waiver from IWL Harvard University ($1,800)
- 2015: Warwick-CSC Joint PhD Scholarships for Chinese Students (1/6: All Warwick Chinese Applicants)
- 2013: Outstanding Graduation Thesis of the English Department (1/2:189) 英语系杰出毕业论文
- 2013: "Excellent Coursework" Grade in CEEDS Exchange Programme at Oxford & Cambridge University (1/30)
- 2012: Chinese National Scholarship for Outstanding University Student (1/189, ¥8000≈£940) 中国国家级奖学金
- 2012: 1st Prize Scholarship, Southwest University for Nationalities (1/4:189, ¥2000≈£235) 一等奖学金
- 2012: Honorary Title for University Students with Comprehensive Qualities in Sichuan Province (1/425) 四川省大学生“综合素质A级证书”
- 2011: Chinese Finance Ministry Funding for National Undergraduate Training Programs for Innovation and Entrepreneurship (1/1200, ¥17, 000≈£1,997) 中国国家财政部资助大学生创新创业项目
- 2011: Champion of Sichuan & Chongqing Region of the China Daily 21st Century Cup National English Speech Competition 中国日报21世纪杯英语演讲比赛川渝赛区第一名
- 2010: Outstanding Student of Southwest Minzu University 西南民大杰出学生 (1/6:189)
- 2010: SIFE (now Enactus) China National Competition 1st Prize + Environmental Sustainability Award. 创行中国社会创新大赛全国一等奖、环境可持续奖、西部赛区第一名
吴 荻 Wú Dí
aureliadeewu at outlook dot com
And the art of life is the art of defiance. To defy. That is what we ought to live for, instead of living, as we do, to acquiesce.
— Robert Hichens, The Green Carnation
Picture Credit: postive-inking
Early Career Representative in the Executive Board of British Association for Victorian Studies (BAVS)
Member of Translators Association of China (TAC)
Fashion Columnist at Resonate: Global voices on East Asian issues
I am a man who loves beautiful yet useless things.
The moon. The stars. The Sun.
Flowers. Lakes. Jokes.
Things like that.
- Kim Hui Seong, Mr. Sunshine (2018)
Picture Credit: original picture by Napoleon Sarony
中文 | English
Français | Español |ру́сский язы́k