If you are interested in MPhil/PhD study, starting in October 2022, please direct your enquiry (CV and research proposal) to pglanguages [at] warwick.ac.uk
Note that the main funding deadlines are between 12 January and 1 February 2022. Applications normally go through a process of drafts and discussion with the supervisor(s) and/or PGR admissions advisors.
The School of Modern Languages and Cultures (SMLC) at the University of Warwick is pleased to invite applications for doctoral study commencing in September/October 2022.
Please get in touch early to identify potential supervisors and to prepare a robust application.
- For more information on prerequisites and how apply for a place of study, please see here.
- To search for relevant research expertise among our staff, see here. The School Director of Graduate Studies will also be pleased to advise on this.
A broad range of funding opportunities is advertised on the websites of Warwick’s Doctoral College and the Centre for Arts Doctoral Research Excellence (CADRE). Please note that several funding schemes operate multi-staged application processes and early deadlines.
The SMLC will nominate a number of first-rate applications from prospective and qualifying existing students for the following funding opportunities:
- AHRC Midlands 4 Cities Doctoral Training Programme: 94 Scholarships are available across 8 Consortium institutions (including Warwick). For more information, see here. The final deadline is 12thJanuary 2022 but applications should be started late October / November 2021.
- Chancellor’s International Scholarships: The University offers up to 42 scholarships to the most outstanding international PhD applicants. For on how to apply for these University scholarships, please see here. The deadline is on Thursday 20 January 2022 (23:59 pm GMT). All supporting documentation must be uploaded by the deadline. Discussion of your application with the SMLC should start in November-early December 2021.
- China Scholarship Council: The University offers up to 25 joint funded PhD scholarships in collaboration with China Scholarships Council. For on how to apply for these University scholarships, please see here. The deadline is 1 February 2022 (23.59 GMT). Full details available here. Discussion of your application with the SMLC should start in November-early December 2021.
- Monash Warwick Alliance Scholarships (Warwick): The University offers 3 scholarships (across all subjects) to the most outstanding PhD applicants for the Alliance Joint PhD. The deadline is Thursday 20th January 2022, 23.59 GMT. Discussion of your application with the SMLC should start in November-early December 2021.
We are also happy to discuss other relevant funding options and self-funded study (full-time or part-time).
The School of Modern Languages and Cultures at Warwick offers its graduate students a vibrant research culture and community, with more than 30 students currently enrolled on PhDs in the School, alongside some 20 Master’s students and a number of postdoctoral research fellows.
Postgraduate researchers play a vital role in our research community, together with postdoctoral researchers and academic staff of national and international renown. In the 2014 REF, our research outputs were ranked 5th in the UK. 80% of our research and 80% of our ‘impact’ were ranked at 4* or 3*, and 100% of our environment was similarly ranked as world-leading or internationally excellent. Our overall output ranking places us at the top of the Russell Group. Modern Languages and Linguistics at Warwick are placed in the top 10 in the UK in the Guardian University Leagues Table 2020. Warwick also ranks 51st in the THE World University Rankings 2020 of institutions offering Languages, literature, & linguistics.
Our research expertise ranges from the Middle Ages and Early Modern period to the present. We study Modern Languages (French, German, Italian, Iberian languages, and Chinese) in a broad intellectual and global context, covering literature, cultural, social and intellectual history, film, politics, philosophy, and translation studies. To search for a potential supervisor in the School by their specialism, click here.
Individual staff and their specialisms can be viewed here.
Applicants who may be interested in doctoral study in Modern Languages (French Studies, German Studies, Hispanic Studies, Italian Studies, Translation and Transcultural Studies) at Warwick are invited to contact the School Director of Graduate Studies as soon as possible via email@example.com
- a CV (detailing your academic curriculum to date and any other relevant training)
- an indication of possible supervisors (where known)
- a draft proposal of c. 2 pages.
Applicants will be notified early in May of the outcome of their application.
pglanguages at warwick dot ac dot uk
Looking for a supervisor?
Explore our Staff Research InterestsLink opens in a new window page
SMLC PhD Scholarship 2022 entry
Deadline 11 April (admission) / 20 April 202 (funding application)
EUTOPIA PhD co-tutelle
deadline 6 May 2022
open to academics (supervisors) from EUTOPIA universities wishing to obtain funding for PhD co-tutelle fellowships within the EUTOPIA alliance