Tel: +44 24 765 73793
Email: Yulan dot He at warwick dot ac dot uk
Yulan He is a Professor of Computer Science at the University of Warwick. Prior joining Warwick, she was a Reader in Computer Science and the Director of the Systems Analytics Research Institute at Aston University. She has published over 160 papers in the areas of text and data mining, sentiment analysis and opinion mining, social media analysis, recommender systems, learning analytics and spoken dialogue systems. She is a Program Co-Chair in EMNLP 2020 and has served as a (Senior) Area Chair in top natural language processing conferences including ACL, EMNLP and NAACL.
Yulan obtained her PhD degree in spoken language understanding from the University of Cambridge, and her MEng and BASc (First Class Honours) degrees in Computer Engineering from Nanyang Technological University, Singapore.
Yulan's research centres on the exploration of statistical models in representing uncertainty and the benefit they bring over earlier work in a wide range of application areas, particularly the integration of machine learning and natural language processing for text understanding. Some of her interested research topics include sentiment analysis and opinion mining, topic/event extraction from text, combining language and vision for multimodal analysis, clinical text mining, conversational agents and social media analytics.
Research Projects (since 2013)
- Twenty20Insights, (2020-2023), funded by the EPSRC.
- DeepPatient: Deep Understanding of Patient Experience of Healthcare in Social Media (2018 - 2020). MSCA Fellowship funded by the EU-H2020.
- Data Analytics for Future Cities Research (2018), Researcher Links Workshop Grants funded by the British Council.
- Big Data Content Analytics (2017-2019). cR&D project funded by the Technology Strategy Board (TSB).
- Opinion Cluster Detection from Social Media (Jan 2016-Dec 2017). Funded by the Overseas Collaboration Fund of Natural Science Foundation of China in collaboration with Southeast University.
- Data fusing and integration from multiple resources (2015-2018). A Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP) project in collaboration with Integrated Geochemical Interpretation Ltd funded by the Innovate UK.
- Big Data: Digitisation, Semantic Analysis, Topic Modelling, Visualisation and Exploration (2014-2016). cR&D project funded by the Technology Strategy Board (TSB) under the big data exploitation call.
- ReDites: real time, detection, tracking, monitoring and interpretation of events in social media (2013-2014). Funded by the EPSRC.
(Click here for full publication list)
Office hours (for Spring Term)