The module aims to provide students with a thorough grounding in computer security. The module will look at security from a system wide perspective, from language-based security to network security, via operating system security. We will also aim to cover new areas such as quantum cryptography, proof-carrying code etc.
By the end of the module the student should be able to:
- General: Understand the various security concepts such as confidentiality, privacy etc.
- Understand various security models.
- Understand the notion of security policy enforcement and classes of policies that runtime enforceable.
- Understand the workings of firewalls.
- Understand security in distributed systems.
- Understand notions of security in E-commerce.
- Understand the technologies and techniques that support bitcoin.
- Understand source location privacy in wireless sensor networks.
- Threats and Security policy models.
- Security automata, edit automata
- Network security: Firewall design.
- Distributed system security.
- Fair exchange.
- Source location privacy.