- Plant pathology
- Disease resistance
- Diversity of plant pathogens.
Bacterial plant diseases caused by Xanthomonas and Pseudomonas spp.
Oomycete diseases caused by Albugo and Hyaloperonospora spp.
Genetic improvement of brassicas.
Joana Magalhaes Godinho Nunes Vicente graduated in Agronomy from the Instituto Superior de Agronomia, Technical University of Lisbon, Portugal in 1995 (highest ever average results of 18/20; equivalent to First). Before graduation, worked on microspore culture of Brassica oleracea . PhD awarded by the Technical University of Lisbon in 2001, after undertaking research on black rot of crucifers (caused by Xanthomonas campestris pv. campestris ) at the Instituto Superior de Agronomia and at Horticulture Research International (HRI) in Wellesbourne. This also involved the study of disease resistance gene-like sequences in Brassica oleracea.
In 1999, Joana got her first research position at HRI/WHRI in Steve Roberts's group studying bacterial canker of cherry trees in a project funded by Defra. From 2004 to 2009, Joana was part of Eric Holub's group working in a project led by David Pink on breeding for resistance to plant bacterial and oomycete diseases.
From November 2009 till August 2012, Joana joined Ken Manning and Andrew Thompson's group and worked on a project funded by BBSRC on the role of short RNAs in the development of tomato fruits. Joana was also a co-investigator in a project funded by BBSRC and DFID on breeding for black-rot resistant brassicas for the benefit of East African smallholders.
Joana re-joined Eric Holub's group and worked from 2012 to 2018 on a NERC funded project on the impact of plant mating system and ploidy on Arabidopsis lyrata adaptation to parasitism in changing environments followed by a project funded by BBSRC on developing genetics and genomics interface to develop strategies for sustainable use of resistance to white rust in oilseed mustard.
Joana has obtained a Postgraduate Certificate in Transferable Skills in Science (2013) and a Postgraduate Certificate in Academic and Professional Practice, PCAPP (2014) at the University of Warwick, and became a Fellow of The Higher Education Academy in 2015.
Joana has co-supervised several undergraduate and MSc students and co-supervised Vania Horta de Passo's PhD work completed in 2016/17, on interactions between Arabidopsis and Xanthomonas campestris. In addition, Joana was a tutor in practical classes of the MSc module on Crop Protection until 2018.
Joana is currently a Visiting Research Fellow working in several projects on Xanthomonas, white rust and mildew and continues to be curator of a large collection of bacterial isolates.
Joana is a management committee member and Science Communication Manager for a European COST Action on diseases caused by Xanthomonadaceae bacteria, that started in March 2017 (View EuroXanth Website).
Joana is now working on the project 'Xanthomonas plants diseases: mitigating existing, emerging and future threats to UK agriculture' that started in 2020, funded by UKRI, Defra and the Scottish Government, part of the Bacterial Plant Diseases Programme (View the Xanthomonas Threats project website).
- Hulin, Michelle T., Armitage, Andrew D., Vicente, Joana G., Holub, E. B., Baxter, Laura, Bates, Helen J., Mansfield, John W., Jackson, Robert W., Harrison, Richard J., 2018. Comparative genomics of Pseudomonas syringae reveals convergent gene gain and loss associated with specialization onto cherry (Prunus avium). The New Phytologist, 291 (2), pp. 672-696
- Tock, Andrew J., Fourie, Deidré, Walley, Peter G., Holub, E. B., Soler, Alvaro, Cichy, Karen A., Pastor-Corrales, Marcial A., Song, Qijian, Porch, Timothy G., Hart, John P., Vasconcellos, Renato C. C., Vicente, Joana G., Barker, Guy C., Miklas, Phillip N., 2017. Genome-wide linkage and association mapping of halo blight resistance in common bean to Race 6 of the globally important bacterial pathogen.. Frontiers in Plant Science, 8
- Vicente, Joana G., Rothwell, Steve, Holub, E. B., Studholme, David J., 2017. Pathogenic, phenotypic and molecular characterisation of Xanthomonas nasturtii sp. nov. and Xanthomonas floridensis sp. nov., new species of Xanthomonas associated with watercress production in Florida. International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology, 67 (9), pp. 3645-3654
- Buckley, James, Kilbride, Elizabeth, Cevik, Volkan, Vicente, Joana G., Holub, E. B., Mable, Barbara K., 2016. R-gene variation across Arabidopsis lyrata subspecies : effects of population structure, selection and mating system. BMC Evolutionary Biology, 16 (1)
- Stead, D. E., Parkinson, N., Aspin, A., Heeney, J., Crump, S., Vicente, Joana G., 2016. First occurrence of Xanthomonas campestris pv. raphanion wallflower (Erysimum cheiri) in the United Kingdom. New Disease Reports, 34
- Bila, J., Mortensen, C. N., Andresen, M., Vicente, Joana G., Wulff, E. G., 2013. Xanthomonas campestris pv. campestris race 1 is the main causal agent of black rot of Brassicas in Southern Mozambique. African Journal of Biotechnology, 12 (6), pp. 602-610
- Vicente, Joana G., Holub, E. B., 2013. Xanthomonas campestris pv. campestris (cause of black rot of crucifers) in the genomic era is still a worldwide threat to brassica crops. Molecular Plant Pathology, Vol.14 (No.1), pp. 2-18
- Mulema, Joseph M. K., Vicente, Joana G., Pink, David, Jackson, Alison C., Chacha, Duncan O., Wasilwa, L. A. (Lusike A.), Kinyua, Zakary M., Karanja, Daniel K., Holub, E. B., Hand, Paul, 2012. Characterization of isolates that cause black rot of crucifers in East Africa. European Journal of Plant Pathology, Vol.133 (No.2), pp. 427-438
- Vicente, Joana G., Gunn, Nick, Bailey, Liz, Pink, David, Holub, E. B., 2012. Genetics of resistance to downy mildew in Brassica oleracea and breeding towards durable disease control for UK vegetable production. Plant Pathology, Vol.61 (No.3), pp. 600-609
- Coelho, Paula S., Vicente, Joana G., Monteiro, António A., Holub, E. B., 2012. Pathotypic diversity of Hyaloperonospora brassicae collected from Brassica oleracea. European Journal of Plant Pathology, Vol.134 (No.4), pp. 763-771
- Baltrus, David A., Nishimura, Marc T., Dougherty, Kevin M., Biswas, Surojit, Mukhtar, M. Shahid, Vicente, Joana G., Holub, E. B., Dangl, J. L. (Jeffery L.), 2012. The molecular basis of host specialization in bean pathovars of Pseudomonas syringae. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions, Vol.25 (No.7), pp. 877-888
- Jensen, Brita Dahl, Vicente, Joana G., Manandhar, Hira Kaji, Roberts, Steven J., 2010. Occurrence and diversity of Xanthomonas campestris pv. campestris in vegetable brassica fields in Nepal. Plant Disease, Vol.94 (No.3), pp. 298-305
- Vicente, Joana G., Roberts, Steven J., 2007. Discrimination of Pseudomonas syringae isolates from sweet and wild cherry using rep-PCR. European Journal of Plant Pathology, Vol.117 (No.4), pp. 383-392
- Soengas, P., Hand, Paul, Vicente, J. G., Pole, J. M., Pink, David, 2007. Identification of quantitative trait loci for resistance to Xanthomonas campestris pv. campestris in Brassica rapa. Theoretical and Applied Genetics, Vol.114 (No.4), pp. 637-645
- Vicente, Joana G., Everett, B, Roberts, S. J., 2006. Identification of isolates that cause a leaf spot disease of brassicas as Xanthomonas campestris pv. raphani and pathogenic and genetic comparison with related pathovars. Phytopathology, 96 (7), pp. 735-745
- Vicente, Joana G., Alves, João P., Russell, Karen, Roberts, Steven J., 2004. Identification and discrimination of pseudomonas syringae isolates from wild cherry in England. European Journal of Plant Pathology, 110 (4), pp. 337-351
- Howell, Elaine C., Barker, Guy C., Jones, Gareth H., Kearsey, Michael J., King, Graham J., Kop, Erik P., Ryder, Carol D., Teakle, Graham R., Vicente, Joana G., Armstrong, Susan J., 2002. Integration of the cytogenetic and genetic linkage maps of Brassica oleracea. Genetics, 161 (3), pp. 1225-1234
- Taylor, J. D., Conway, J., Roberts, S. J., Astley, D., Vicente, Joana G., 2002. Sources and origin of resistance to Xanthomonas campestrispv.campestris in Brassica Genomes. Phytopathology, 92 (1), pp. 105-111
- Vicente, Joana G., Taylor, J. D., Sharpe, A. G., Parkin, I. A. P., Lydiate, D. J., King, G. J., 2002. Inheritance of race-specific resistance to Xanthomonas campestrispv.campestris in Brassica genomes. Phytopathology, 92 (10), pp. 1134-1141
- Vicente, Joana G., King, G. J., 2001. Characterisation of disease resistance gene-like sequences in Brassica oleracea L.. TAG Theoretical and Applied Genetics, 102 (4), pp. 555-563
- Vicente, Joana G., Conway, J., Roberts, S. J., Taylor, J. D., 2001. Identification and origin of Xanthomonas campestrispv.campestris races and related pathovars. Phytopathology, 91 (5), pp. 492-499
- Vicente, Joana G., Dias, J. S., 1996. Production of embryos from microspore cultures of Portuguese tronchuda cabbage landraces. Acta Horticulturae, pp. 219-226
- Vicente, Joana G., 2004. A podrida~o negra das cruciferas.
- Vicente, Joana G., Roberts, S. J., 2003. Screening wild cherry micropropagated plantlets for resistance to bacterial canker. In Iacobellis, N. S. (ed.), Pseudomonas syringae and related pathogens : biology and genetic, Dordrecht ; Boston ; London, Kluwer Academic Press, pp. 467-474
- Armstrong, S. J., Howell, E. C., Fransz, G. H., Kearsey, M. J., King, G. J., Kop, E., Ryder, Carol D., Teakle, Graham R., Vicente, Joana G., 2000. Integrating the genetic and physical chromosome maps of Brassica oleracea var. alboglabra. In King, G. J. (ed.), Proceedings of the Third International Symposium on Brassicas and Twelfth Crucifer Genetics Workshop : Wellesbourne, United Kingdom, 5-9 September, 2000, Leuven, ISHS, pp. 77-82
- Vicente, Joana G., Conway, J., King, G. J., Taylor, J. D., 2000. Resistance to Xanthomonas campestris pv. campestris in Brassica spp.. In King, G. J. (ed.), Proceedings of the Third International Symposium on Brassicas and Twelfth Crucifer Genetics Workshop : Wellesbourne, United Kingdom, 5-9 September, 2000, Leuven, ISHS, pp. 61-67
- Vicente, Joana G., Roberts, Steven J., 2001. Diversity of Pseudomonas syringae isolates from sweet and wild cherry. 11th Congress of the Mediterranean Phytopathological Union and 3rd Congress of the Sociedade Portuguesa de Fitopatologia, Évora, Portugal, 17-20 Sep 2001, Published in Proceedings of the 11th Congress of the Mediterranean Phytopathological Union and 3rd Congress of the Sociedade Portuguesa de Fitopatologia University of Évora, Year: 2001 Pages: 29-31, pp. 29-31
- Vicente, Joana G., 2012. Food Unwrapped : Black Rot bacteria is used to replace fat in light mayonnaise [Series 2 Episode 6]. Channel Four Television Corporation
|Title||Funder||Award start||Award end|
|Xanthomonas plant diseases: mitigating existing, emerging and future threats to UK agriculture||BBSRC||01 Oct 2020||31 Jan 2024|
|Developing genetics and genomics interface to develop strategies for sustainable use of resistance to white rust in oilseed mustard (Brassica juncea)||BBSRC||01 Oct 2014||30 Sep 2018|
|Assessing the impact of plant mating systems and ploidy on adaptation to parasitism in changing environments||NERC||01 Dec 2009||01 Mar 2014|
|FCT funding of personal PhD award for student project Vania Isabel Horta de Passo||FCT (Fundacao para a Ciencia e a Tecnologia)||01 Feb 2010||31 Jan 2014|
|Accelerated breeding of black rot resistant brassicas for the benefit of east African smallholders - subcontract from Harper Adams||BBSRC||31 Dec 2008||08 Mar 2013|
|Accelerated Breeding of Black Rot Resistant Brassicas for the Benefit of East African Smallholders||BBSRC||31 Dec 2008||30 Dec 2012|
|Characterisation of tomato short RNAs involved in fruit development||BBSRC||01 Jan 2009||31 May 2012|
|Research project to design and perform tests on 5 Brassica lines||Sakata UK Ltd||01 May 2009||31 Jul 2009|
|Crop Improvement of Field Vegetables||Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs||01 Apr 2004||31 Mar 2009|