I am a PhD student in the Astronomy and Astrophysics group at the University of Warwick, supervised by Prof Peter Wheatley.Link opens in a new window I am currently working on low and high resolution transmission spectroscopy data of exoplanet atmospheres e.g. as obtained with the EFOSC2 instrument at the New Technology Telescope (NTT) at La Silla, Chile. In particular, I am looking at features in the atmospheres of hot Jupiters such as sodium absorption or Rayleigh scattering in the optical wavelength range.
I am also involved in the efforts for getting ready for the upcoming JWST data as part of the Transiting Exoplanet Early Release Science (ERS) team, in particular in the development of the Eureka! pipelineLink opens in a new window.
Other research interests include stellar activity induced variations in stellar radial velocity data and their effects on accurate estimation of exoplanet characteristics. This also includes Bayesian model comparison with the nested sampling algorithm PolyChord. This follows my work during my research based Masters degree at the University of Cambridge under supervision of Prof Didier Queloz and Dr Vinesh Maguire-Rajpaul.
As first author:
LRG-BEASTS: sodium absorption and Rayleigh scattering in the atmosphere of WASP-94A b using NTT/EFOSC2Link opens in a new window, E. Ahrer et al., 2022, MNRAS, 510, 4857
The HARPS search for southern extra-solar planets XLV. Two Neptune mass planets orbiting HD 13808: a study of stellar activity modelling's impact on planet detectionLink opens in a new window, E. Ahrer et al., 2021, MNRAS, 503, 1248
Eureka!: An End-to-End Pipeline for JWST Time-Series ObservationsLink opens in a new window, T. Bell, E. Ahrer, J. Brande, A. L. Carter, A. D. Feinstein, G. Guzman Caloca, M. Mansfield, S. Zieba, C. Piaulet, B. Benneke, J. Filippazzo, E. M. May, P. Roy, L. Kreidberg, K. Stevenson, 2022, JOSS submitted
- Reaching Diverse Groups in Long-Term Astronomy Public Engagement EffortsLink opens in a new window, M. Archipley, H. S. Dalgleish, E. Ahrer & D. Mortimer, 2021, ASP2020 conference proceedings, 531, 47
The HARPS search for southern extra-solar planets. XLVI: 12 super-Earths around the solar type stars HD39194, HD93385, HD96700, HD154088, and HD189567Link opens in a new window, N. Unger et al., 2021, A&A, 654, A104
- Exoplanets IV Conference, Las Vegas, posters, available on Zenodo, 1 - 6 May 2022
- JWST ERS Simulated Data Challenge #1, MPIA Heidelberg, 21 - 23 March 2022
- ESO ATMO 2021: Atmospheres, Atmospheres! Do I look like I care about atmospheres?, virtual, talkLink opens in a new window, 23 - 27 August 2021
- National Astronomy Meeting (NAM) 2021, University of Bath, virtual, talk, 19 - 23 July 2021
JWST ERS Pre-Launch Data Hackathon, virtual, 21 - 25 June 2021
- IAU CAP 2021, virtual, talkLink opens in a new window, 24 - 27 May 2021
- UK Exoplanet Community Meeting, University of Birmingham, virtual, talkLink opens in a new window, 22 April 2021
- STScI Symposium: Towards the Comprehensive Characterization of Exoplanets - Science at the Interface of Multiple Measurement Techniques, virtual, poster, 19 - 23 April 2021
- Solar-stellar connection summer school, virtual, posterLink opens in a new window, 14 - 18 September 2020
- Exoplanets III Conference, virtual, posterLink opens in a new window, 27 - 31 July 2020
- Sagan Summer School 2020 on Extreme Precision Radial Velocity, virtual, posterLink opens in a new window, 20 - 24 July 2020
- UK Exoplanet Community Meeting, Imperial College London, poster, 15 - 17 April 2019
- Exoplanet Seminars, Observatoire de Geneve, 1 April 2022
- eIAYC seminar series, International Workshop for Astronomy (IWA), 22 July 2021
- Exoplanet Pizza Lunch, Centre for Astrophysics (CfA) | Harvard & Smithsonian, 23 March 2021
- Planet Formation Group Seminar, University of Heidelberg, Zentrum für Astronomie (ZAH), 15 July 2020
Teaching, Observing, Outreach and Other
- I am part of the Local Organising Committee (LOC) of the National Astronomy Meeting (NAM)Link opens in a new window taking place at the University of Warwick in July 2022.
- As the PI of an ESO observing proposal I have been awarded with 10 nights of observing with the NTT/EFOSC2 in May, June and August 2022 and 4 nights of observing with the NTT/EFOSC2 in February 2021 (designated Visitor Mode due to COVID-19).
- I have been a student committee member of the Equitea Link opens in a new windowseminar series (since November 2020).
- I was part of the Global Organization Committee (GOC) of the Exoplanets III online conferenceLink opens in a new window in July 2020.
- I have been acting as a laboratory demonstrator in the 2nd year undergraduate physics laboratory course since October 2019.
- I have been part of the organising and teaching team for the International Astronomical Youth Camp (IAYC, iayc.orgLink opens in a new window) since February 2017.