I am a PhD student in the Astronomy and Astrophysics group at the University of Warwick, supervised by Prof Peter Wheatley. I am currently working on low resolution transmission spectroscopy data of exoplanet atmospheres obtained with the EFOSC2 instrument at the New Technology Telescope (NTT) which is located at La Silla, Chile. In particular, I am looking at features in the atmospheres of hot Jupiters such as sodium absorption or Rayleigh scattering in the optical wavelength range.
Other research interests include activity induced variations in stellar radial velocity data and their effects on accurate estimation of exoplanet characteristics. This also includes Bayesian model comparison with the nested sampling algorithm PolyChord. This follows my work during my research based Masters degree at the University of Cambridge under supervision of Prof Didier Queloz.
As first author:
The HARPS search for southern extra-solar planets XLV. Two Neptune mass planets orbiting HD 13808: a study of stellar activity modelling's impact on planet detection, E. Ahrer et al., 2021, MNRAS, 503, 1248
The HARPS search for southern extra-solar planets. XLVI: 12 super-Earths around the solar type stars HD39194, HD93385, HD96700, HD154088, and HD189567, N. Unger et al., 2021, A&A, in press
- ESO ATMO 2021: Atmospheres, Atmospheres! Do I look like I care about atmospheres?, virtual, talk, 23 - 27 August 2021
- National Astronomy Meeting (NAM) 2021, University of Bath, virtual, talk, 19 - 23 July 2021
JWST ERS Pre-Launch Data Hackathon, virtual, 21 - 25 June 2021
- IAU CAP 2021, virtual, talk, 24 - 27 May 2021
- UK Exoplanet Community Meeting, University of Birmingham, virtual, talk, 22 April 2021
- STScI Symposium: Towards the Comprehensive Characterization of Exoplanets - Science at the Interface of Multiple Measurement Techniques, virtual, poster, 19 - 23 April 2021
- Solar-stellar connection summer school, virtual, poster, 14 - 18 September 2020
- Exoplanets III Conference, virtual, poster, 27 - 31 July 2020
- Sagan Summer School 2020 on Extreme Precision Radial Velocity, virtual, poster, 20 - 24 July 2020
- UK Exoplanet Community Meeting, Imperial College London, poster, 15 - 17 April 2019
- eIAYC seminar series, International Workshop for Astronomy (IWA), 22 July 2021
- Exoplanet Pizza Lunch, Centre for Astrophysics (CfA) | Harvard & Smithsonian, 23 March 2021
- Planet Formation Group Seminar, University of Heidelberg, Zentrum für Astronomie (ZAH), 15 July 2020
Teaching, Observing, Outreach and Other
- As the PI of an ESO observing proposal I have been awarded with 4 nights of observing with the NTT/EFOSC2 in February 2021 (designated Visitor Mode due to COVID-19).
- I have been a student committee member of the Equitea seminar series (since November 2020).
- I was part of the Global Organization Committee (GOC) of the Exoplanets II online conference in July 2020.
- I have been acting as a laboratory demonstrator in the 2nd year undergraduate physics laboratory course since October 2019.
- I have been part of the organising and teaching team for the International Astronomical Youth Camp (IAYC, iayc.org) since February 2017.