Skip to main content Skip to navigation

expense claims

Who we are and what we do

The Expenses team is part of the Human Resources department - we're here to help you by processing expenses in both an internal and an external capacity. Only expenses that are in accord with the University's Financial Procedures will be reimbursed - please check before you incur any.

We can be contacted by:

  • email via expenses at warwick dot ac dot uk or telephone 024 76 5 23000 (internal extension: 23000)

Expenses Policy Update April 2022

With effect from 20th April 2022, for a temporary period, travel and accommodation bookings to European countries which are under £500 in combined total value do not have to be arranged through Key Travel.

Until further notice, all other overseas travel bookings (including Accommodation) should only be made through the university approved travel management company, Key TravelLink opens in a new window

  1. Rail should be the default mode of transport for all UK & European journeys of up to 6 hours, even if the financial cost is higher than other forms of transport. 
  2. Train travel : Employees should travel Standard Class. The option to request First Class travel for journeys exceeding two hours has been removed.
  3. Car hire: Road journeys exceeding 100 business miles per day should only be considered where travel by train is not a viable option, and a hired vehicle, rather than a private one, should be the preferred option.
  4. Air travel :UK air travel requires the approval of the HoD and should be notified to via the departmental FinRegs Champion (Sally Hicks for HR), along with justification for the reason for choosing air travel.
  • Air travel should normally be in Economy Class.
  • A “Green Levy” of £15 will be charged to the Department for all UK and European flights.
  • A “Green Levy” of £60 will be charged to the Department for all non-European flights.

AirBnB - for clarification, Accommodation should be booked either direct with hotels or by using a reputable accommodation supplier with flexible cancellation policies and clarity on the H&S standards imposed. The University
does NOT recommend using AirBnB properties – approval from FinRegs and Health & Safety must be sought if AirBnB is being considered, and there are additional procedures and checklists that must be followed.

Members of Staff

Members of staff should claim expenses via Concur (except for per diems which should be claimed using paper forms FP16g and FP16h below)

PhD/EngD/Commonwealth Scholarship Students

Please complete a claim on form FP16a PhD and send it (together with your receipts) to your departmental administrator/finance officer who will check, code, authorise and then send it to us (do NOT send to us directly). Once it has been processed we will set you up on Concur and advise you to use Concur to submit claims going forward. (Please also use this form if you need to change your bank details).

Non members of staff

Non members of staff should make claims for travel and subsistence on the following forms and submit them to their department for coding and authorisation:

Travel and subsistence claim form (for use by External visitors, Unitemps and undergraduates: staff on the salary Payroll should use Concur)

FP16a(PDF Document) FP16a (Excel Spreadsheet) Updated Jul 23

Travel and subsistence claim form (PhD,EngD, Commonwealth Scholarship

students only) Updated Dec 23



Advance of travel expenses - only to be requested in cases of financial hardship, when considerable expenditure is anticipated and no other payment method available

Contact for details re travel advances on Concur

Expenses incurred in attending an interview

See Interview Expenses

Foreign per diem allowance

FP16g (Excel Spreadsheet) 

Declaration of attendance re advance per diem

FP16h(PDF Document)

Foreign Bank Details

See Foreign Payments Form