Excellent disciplinary and interdisciplinary research lies at the heart of our University. We undertake world-leading research, pushing the boundaries of knowledge and delivering tangible and lasting impact to the world outside of academia.
We have built an environment where academic excellence can thrive. Our research is undertaken with methodological rigour and integrity and drives us forward as a world-class University.
We are proud of our strong performance in the Government’s Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014, for both overall grade point average (GPA) and intensity.
In REF 2014, we strengthened our position amongst the UK’s ten best research universities. Warwick’s intensity also achieved a top ten ranking, signifying the strength-in-depth of our exceptional research community.
**GPA: Grade Point Average
**Comprised of our departments of Mathematics and Statistics
The ranking exercise known as the “Research Excellence Framework (REF)” is run by the UK’s higher education funding bodies, to assess the quality of UK research and to inform the distribution of public funds for research until the next ranking exercise in 2020.
REF 2014 results were compiled using a Quality profile which identifies the proportion of activity reaching each of five Quality levels – four ranked and defined 'starred' Quality levels and unclassified:
- 4* Quality that is world-leading in terms of originality, significance and rigour.
- 3* Quality that is internationally excellent in terms of originality, significance and rigour but which falls short of the highest standards of excellence.
- 2* Quality that is recognised internationally in terms of originality, significance and rigour.
- 1* Quality that is recognised nationally in terms of originality, significance and rigour.
- Unclassified Quality that falls below the standard of nationally recognised work or work which does not meet the published definition of research for the purposes of this assessment.
Our 4* research has risen from 21% to 37% and a total of 87% of the University’s research activity was ranked at a Quality level of either 3* or 4*.
Warwick did not receive any unclassified rankings in REF 2014.
Full results of REF 2014 can be obtained here.