Find out more about our WMG Master's by Research degree.
A Master’s by Research degree allows you to focus on independent research rather than being taught. Your independent research will normally develop your existing knowledge of a subject and this programme focuses on training researchers for a professional career or preparation for a PhD or EngD.
WMG, University of Warwick offers the opportunity to work with academics and industry leaders, enabling you to benefit from conducting research within a department with academic leaders, real industrial relevance and globally renowned business focus to enable you to stay ahead of the curve within the changing needs of industry.
During the MSc by Research programme, you will develop your research in your chosen subject area, supported by supervisors from academic and, potentially, industrial backgrounds. You will submit your research as a final single thesis to show your research findings for final examination.
General entry requirements
2:i undergraduate degree (or equivalent) in Engineering, Computer Science, Chemistry, Physics, Maths or a relevant subject.
Please see individual project advertsLink opens in a new window for any further requirements.
English language requirements
You can find out more about our English language requirements. This course requires the following:
- English language requirements Band A
- IELTS overall score of 6.5, minimum component scores not below 6.0.
We welcome applications from students with other internationally recognised qualifications.
For more information, please visit the international entry requirements page.
There are no additional entry requirements for this course.
WMGs research themes
- Automation Systems
- Battery Forensics
- Battery Systems
- Battery Test and Modelling
- Biomedical Informatics, Imaging and Healthcare Technologies
- BMS, Control (batteries)
- Charging (energy)
- Connectivity and Wireless Communication
- Control (whole vehicle)
- Co-operative Autonomy
- Cyber Security
- Data science
- Digital Lifecycle Management (modelling and simulation, manufacturing processes)
- Driver Health Monitoring
- Electrochemical Engineering
- Electrochemical Materials
- Engineering Psychology
- Experiential Engineering
- Human Factors
- Innovative Business Models
- Lightweight Materials and Manufacturing
- Motors (Electric Machines)
- Power Electronics
- Sensors and Wearables
- Steels Processing
- Supply Chains
- Sustainable Materials and Manufacturing
- Verification and Validation
Full details of our research interests are listed on the WMG web pages.
Find a supervisor
We also welcome informal enquiries, giving you the opportunity to discuss projects with supervisors to help you decide if it’s right for you.
Use the following links to find out more about our research groups and academics to contact if you are interested in a particular research area or complete our enquiry form.
You can also see our general University guidance about finding a supervisor.
Tuition fees are payable for each year of your course at the start of the academic year, or at the start of your course, if later. Academic fees cover the cost of tuition, examinations and registration and some student amenities.
Fee Status Guidance
The University carries out an initial fee status assessment based on information provided in the application and according to the guidance published by UKCISA. Students are classified as either Home or Overseas Fee status and this can determine the tuition fee and eligibility of certain scholarships and financial support.
If you receive an offer, your fee status will be stated with the tuition fee information, however we are awaiting guidance from the UK government regarding fee status for EU, other EEA and Swiss nationals and their family members living in the UK for academic year 2021/22 onwards. We are not able to confirm the fee status for these students until the relevant eligibility criteria have been confirmed. Once we have received further information from the UK government, we will provide you with an update on your fee status and let you know if any additional information is required. If you believe your fee status has been incorrectly classified you can complete a fee status assessment questionnaire (follow the instructions in your offer) and provide the required documentation for this to be reassessed.
The UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) provides guidance to UK universities on fees status criteria, you can find the latest guidance on the impact of Brexit on fees and student support on the UKCISA website.
Additional course costs
As well as tuition fees and living expenses, there may be general associated costs such as:
- Core text books
- Printer credits*
- Dissertation binding*
- Robe hire for your degree ceremony
* - Dissertations and Assignments are only submitted digitally. However students may wish to print and bind their dissertation for their own purposes. Students on some courses will have a final poster presentation as part of their project and the printing of posters will be at the students’ expense.
Scholarships and bursaries
Find out about the different funding routes available, including; postgraduate loans, scholarships, fee awards and academic department bursaries.
Learn about the various funding opportunities that are available for our Postgraduate Taught courses.
Find out more about the cost of living as a postgraduate student at the University of Warwick.
WMG at Warwick
Having forged strong links with global companies through 42 years of collaborative research and development, we really understand the global market you’ll be operating in, and have designed our programmes to match.
- Cyber Security Engineering (MSc)
- Cyber Security Management (MSc)
- e-Business Management (MSc)
- Engineering Business Management (MSc)
- Healthcare Operational Management (MSc)
- Innovation and Entrepreneurship (MSc)
- Intelligent Manufacturing Systems (MSc)
- International Trade, Strategy and Operations (MSc)
- Programme and Project Management (MSc)
- Smart, Connected and Autonomous Vehicles (MSc)
- Supply Chain and Logistics Management (MSc)
- Sustainable Automotive Electrification (MSc)
Our Postgraduate Research degrees
- Business Transformation (MSc by Research)
- Engineering (MPhil/PhD)
- Engineering Doctorate (EngD)
- MSc by Research (WMG) (MSc)
There are a number of different ways to visit the University of Warwick throughout the year. We host bespoke PG visits, where you can talk directly with your chosen department and explore our campus through a personalised tour. WMG also organises events for prospective students including a weekly Live Chat so you can connect directly with the department to speak with staff and students from WMG. For more about university wide open days and tours, visit our Postgraduate Visits page.
Here is our checklist on how to apply for taught postgraduate courses at Warwick.
Please see the WMG department web pages for specific application advice and information.