Tel: +44 24 765 73793
Email: Yulan dot He at warwick dot ac dot uk
Yulan He is a Professor of Computer Science at the University of Warwick. She has published nearly 200 papers in the areas of natural language understanding, sentiment analysis and opinion mining, question-answering, topic/event extraction from text, biomedical text mining, and social media analytics. She currently holds a five-year Turing AI Fellowship, funded by the UK Research and Innovation (UKRI). Yulan obtained her PhD degree in spoken language understanding from the University of Cambridge, and her MEng and BASc (First Class Honours) degrees in Computer Engineering from Nanyang Technological University, Singapore.
Yulan's research centres on the exploration of statistical models in representing uncertainty and the benefit they bring over earlier work in a wide range of application areas, particularly the integration of machine learning and natural language processing for text understanding. Some of her interested research topics include question-answering, sentiment analysis and opinion mining, topic/event extraction from text, combining language and vision for multimodal analysis, clinical text mining, conversational agents and social media analytics. Her research has been funded by the EPSRC, Innovate UK, Royal Academy of Engineering, EU-H2020, EU-FP7, and British Council.
Research Projects (since 2015)
- Event-Centric Framework for Natural Language Understanding (Jan 2021-Dec 2025), Turing AI Acceleration Fellowship, funded by the UKRI.
- Twenty20Insights, (2020-2023), funded by the EPSRC.
- DeepPatient: Deep Understanding of Patient Experience of Healthcare in Social Media (2018 - 2020). MSCA Fellowship funded by the EU-H2020.
- Data Analytics for Future Cities Research (2018), Researcher Links Workshop Grants funded by the British Council.
- Big Data Content Analytics (2017-2019). cR&D project funded by the Technology Strategy Board (TSB).
- Opinion Cluster Detection from Social Media (Jan 2016-Dec 2017). Funded by the Overseas Collaboration Fund of Natural Science Foundation of China in collaboration with Southeast University.
- Data fusing and integration from multiple resources (2015-2018). A Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP) project in collaboration with Integrated Geochemical Interpretation Ltd funded by the Innovate UK.
- Big Data: Digitisation, Semantic Analysis, Topic Modelling, Visualisation and Exploration (2014-2016). cR&D project funded by the Technology Strategy Board (TSB) under the big data exploitation call.
(Click here for recent publications)
- Current review panels
- Editorial Board Member
- Conference committees
- General Chair: AACL-IJCNLP 2022
- Program Co-Chair: EMNLP 2020
- Senior Area Chair: ACL 2022, EMNLP 2019, EMNLP 2018
- Area Chair: EMNLP 2021, ACL 2021, NAACL 2021, ACL 2020, ACL 2019, ACL 2018, NAACL-HLT 2016, EMNLP 2015, CCL 2015, NLPCC2015
- Senior Program Committee: IJCAI 2019, IJCAI 2018, AAAI 2018, AAAI 2017, AAAI 2016
- Department/University Committees
- Deputy Head of Department (Research)
- Faculty of Science Engineering and Medicine (FSEM) Research and Innovation Forum
- University Business Partnerships steering group