I am an Assistant Professor in Data Science with a joint appointment in Statistics and Computer Science. My research interests are in machine learning and Bayesian statistics with a focus on spatio-temporal problems in urban science and computational sustainability.
Clean Air project, Turing - Lloyds Register Foundation programme on Data Centric Engineering.
(in chronological order)
CS342 Machine Learning (2016-2018)
ST343 Topics in Data Science [Topic: Reinforcement Learning] (2017-2018)
2 positions from end of 2018:
PDRA position based at the Alan Turing Institute
Course co-director (with Adam Johansen) of BSc Data Science degree
Senior Exam secretary (CS)
Monday & Friday 16:00-17:00
I am interested in supervising highly motivated PhD students with a strong quantitative background in computational statistics and machine learning. Get in touch with me and apply directly via OxWaSP and/or WISC Doctoral Training Centers and/or The Alan Turing Institute. Some areas of interest are i) probabilistic spatio-temporal inference and algorithms, ii) learning and inference in dynamic systems and changing (non-stationary) environments iii) scalable approximate inference and learning algorithms.
Every year I will be proposing master's thesis projects at both Statistics and Computer Science departments. Contact me with your CV if interested in these. If you have a well defined project of your own that is close to my interests and would like me to supervise your thesis feel free to contact me with your CV and a project description.
- ACM SIGMOD Most Reproducible Paper Award, 2017
- Warwick Awards for Teaching Excellence (nominated) 2015-2016, 2016-2017
- NYU CUSP Teaching and Mentoring award 2014
- The Classification Society Distinguished Dissertation Award, Carnegie Mellon University, 2012
- Best Paper for Deployed Application Award, AAAI IAAI, 2012
- EMC2 Big Data Award, Data Computing Division, Cornell University, 2011
- Best Paper Award, IEEE ICMLA, 2010
- NCR PhD Fellowship award (full funding), 2006 - 2009
- Research Assistant Professor, CUSP, New York University, 2013-2015
- PDRA & Research Associate, Computer Science, Cornell University, 2009-2013
PC (Senior) member:
AAAI, IJCAI, ICPR, ICANN
Neural Computation, Bioinformatics, IEEE Signal Processing, Pattern Recognition, IEEE SMC
AAAI 2015 "AI for Cities"
NIPS 2013 "Machine Learning for Sustainability"
NIPS 2012 "Human Computation for Science and Computational Sustainability"