Feedback for Web-EM-03
Some points of interest from the WEB-EM-03 submissions
Car locking system
- "It is this exploration of the model's [semantic] frame that is unique to the study of EM"
- Considering issues such as 'finger pressure on the button'
Empirically Modelling [!] a Fire Control System
- [a real-world example of Human Computing - at any rate as manifest in the progressive transition from manual to an automated action]
- integration of the model with a historical and practical narrative
- rooting the modelling in contextual and physical observation, incremental development and progressive automation
Domestic robots developing EM construals [!]
- Key idea: "trying to make a robot 'develop a construal'". Cue here for thinking about how observables, dependencies and other agencies might be recognised - and awareness of the empirical nature of this recognition.
- There are robots that vacuum rooms - so what can EM potentially add?
- Danger of projecting an external objective view onto a situation: "simulating the robot measuring distances" needs to be addressed from the perspective of the robot's potential "perception" of state
- Robot supposedly identifies the room it's in by the dimensions of it' - but in fact when the robot is moved from one room to another (e.g. by a super-agent), it doesn't evaluate the distances from walls in the room and return a room index - the button agency that moves the robot into another room encodes the knowledge about which room the robot is in.
- trigger for identifying the room is that 'currRoom' has changed - whereas should be that some observable that might influence the robot-perceived identity of the room has changed
- Likewise, in motion of the robot, expect an appropriate response to moving the door whilst the robot is in motion.
- creating primitive objects within Sasami without using external modellers
- possible to redefine Sasami objects without replicating objects (A serious deficiency in the original Sasami as a definitive notation!)
An Eden-base Digital Logic Simulator
- Remarkable piece of work given the difficulties of the programming medium! - e.g. the presence of many components with generic characteristics
- abandoning the use of definitions in favour of actions to cope with feedback loops
- no dependency --> clock --> previous state
- external observer concept of global state potentially problematic?
- of an EM model: 'empirically it never is finished' vs 'empirically it is finished'
- A cut above the usual critique of EM from an OO programming perspective
- Difficult to map DOSTE to EM!
- more acknowledgement of the role and character of agency is needed? - especially the uncircumscribed nature of this agency
- potential benefit to EM:
- value in having better means to describe behaviours using scripts
- getting away from the current hybrid definitive-procedural platform that a conventional OS requires
Synesthesia for all
- Emphasis on the interactive and interpretative elements of model-making good
- incorporates an RGB to HSL colour model converter - should be implemented as a function?
- Shows good awareness of the personal subjective nature of EM
Distances between cars in traffic
- unusual model - visual representation of qualitative dependencies: prominent experiential emphasis
- dependencies being maintained aren't easily specified precisely by a formula
- highlights personal subjective perceptual and psychological factors
- definitely a promising area in which might have introduced LSD