I'm Ares (they/them), an MSc by Research student in the Astronomy and Astrophysics group at the University of Warwick under the supervision of Dr Daniel Bayliss. I will be continuing on at Warwick into a PhD beginning October 2019, supervised by Dr Dave Armstrong.
My Master's looks at the planet-metallicity correlation - that is, the correlation between a star's metal content and the probability it hosts a (giant) planet. I am looking at this correlation specifically for hot Jupiters, a subset of giant planets that are Jupiter-sized, but with orbits around their host stars of only a matter of days. An increasing number of these have been found by transiting exoplanet surveys (for example: WASP, KELT, HAT and HATS), from which I compile my sample. My findings will hopefully be published by the end of 2019.
Osborn, A. and Bayliss, D., 2019 in prep
The Planet-Metallicity Correlation for Hot Jupiters
Conferences & Workshops
|Dec 2018||Birmingham-Warwick Science Day, Warwick, UK||[attended]|
|Feb 2019||Building Habitable Worlds, Kent, UK||[attended]|
|Apr 2019||UK Exoplanet Community Meeting, Imperial College London, UK||[poster]|
|Apr 2019||Trailblazing Women in Physics, Nottingham, UK||[attended]|
|Jun 2019||Standing up for Science, Warwick, UK||[attended]|
- I volunteer with the departmental Planetarium, which is taken out on visits to local schools.
- I will be giving a talk about my research and being LGBT+ in STEM for the Outthinkers event at the British Science Festival 2019
- Secretary, Oct 2018-19
- I am a Warwick LGBTUA+ Supporter.
- I have a prepared talk on gender identity, which I have given at departmental and University society seminars.
- I have raised £360 for Stonewall through 2 Equali-tea events in my department and through Warwick Tabletop Games and Roleplaying Society.
- Secretary 2018-19
- Graphic Design Officer 2019-20
- Acting Magic: the Gathering Draft Rep 2019
- I am a regular Magic: the Gathering, board game, and RPG player, and occassionally DM D&D 5e campaigns/one-shots.