I'm Ares (they/them), a PhD student in the Astronomy and Astrophysics group at the University of Warwick under the supervision of Dr Dave Armstrong (2019-2023).
I also completed my MSc by Research (2018-19) in the department under the supervision of Dr Daniel Bayliss.
My PhD project will begin by characterising the TESS Object of Interest TOI-431, a system thought to contain 2 planets that has been recently looked at with HARPS. This should hopefully lead to a discovery paper. The long term goal of the project is to use TESS data to study the overall planet population, particularly to study planet occurrence rate as a function of density and hence composition.
My Master's looked at the planet-metallicity correlation - that is, the correlation between a star's metal content and the probability it hosts a (giant) planet. I looked at this correlation specifically for hot Jupiters, a subset of giant planets that are Jupiter-sized, but with orbits around their host stars of only a matter of days. An increasing number of these have been found by transiting exoplanet surveys (for example: WASP, KELT, HAT and HATS), from which I compiled my sample. My findings were accepted for publication by MNRAS in Nov 2019.
Osborn, A. and Bayliss, D., 2019 accepted for publication in MNRAS
The Planet-Metallicity Correlation for Hot Jupiters (arxiv)
Conferences & Workshops
|Dec 2018||Birmingham-Warwick Science Day, Warwick, UK||[attended]|
|Feb 2019||Building Habitable Worlds, Kent, UK||[attended]|
|Apr 2019||UK Exoplanet Community Meeting, Imperial College London, UK||[poster]|
|Apr 2019||Trailblazing Women in Physics, Nottingham, UK||[attended]|
|Jun 2019||Standing up for Science, Warwick, UK||[attended]|
|Nov 2019||High Precision Photometry for Exoplanet and Time-Domain Astronomy (RAS Specialist Discussion Meeting), London, UK||[attended]|
|Dec 2019||South East Exoplanet Meeting 1, London, UK||[talk]|
|Jan 2020||LGBT+ STEMinar, Birmingham, UK||[poster]|
- I am an organiser of the departmental Planetarium, which is taken out on visits to local schools.
- I gave a talk about my Master's research on the planet-metallicity correlation and being LGBT+ in STEM for the Outthinkers event at the British Science Festival 2019.
- Secretary and Athena Swan Rep, Oct 2018-19
- Wellbeing Rep and Athena Swan Rep, Oct 2019-20
- I am a Warwick LGBTUA+ Supporter.
- I have a prepared talk on gender identity, which I have given at departmental and University society seminars.
- I have raised £360 for Stonewall through 2 Equali-tea events in my department and through Warwick Tabletop Games and Roleplaying Society.
- I organised a Trans Awareness Week bake sale for Mermaids, raising £133.70 with Warwick Tabletop Games and Roleplaying Society.
- Secretary 2018-19
- Graphic Design Officer 2019-20
- Magic: the Gathering Draft Rep 2019-20
- I am a regular Magic: the Gathering, board game, and RPG player, and occasionally DM D&D 5e campaigns/one-shots.