Gaby's current research primarily focuses on differential access to the labour market and the relationship between employment and social inclusion/exclusion. Within this broad theme, she is particularly interested in:
- Work, welfare and public policy, particularly participation of disadvantaged groups in active labour market programmes;
- Education and employment as vehicles for social mobility;
- Social capital, social networks and integration, especially of migrants.
Recent research projects have included work on:
- Worklessness and routes into education and employment, including programme evaluations (DWP, Isle of Angelsey County Council, BIG, ESRC, Centrepoint and TfL);
- The graduate labour market (Nuffield, Royal Society of Chemistry, SWRDA, Irish Research Council, ESRC), including the Futuretrack project, tracking 2006 HE applicants through HE and into employment (HECSU);
- Migrants in the labour market, (UKCES, Home Office/Migration Advisory Committee, EMDA), including refugees and asylum seekers (BIG).
Gaby has particular methodological interests in:
- Longitudinal research and tracking (using both quantitative and qualitative methods);
- Online survey research;
- Participatory and inclusive methods and cross-cultural and community research.
She has experience working with Turkish, Kurdish and Somali-speaking diasporic communities.
Gaby has a background in Geography and joined IER in November 2007. Prior to this, she worked as a researcher at the Universities of Birmingham and Dundee and Goldsmiths College, University of London and was a Lecturer in Geography at the University of Sussex.
- Degrees of Advantage? A longer-term investigation of the careers of UK graduates. With Chris Warhurst, Peter Elias, Daria Luchinskaya and Wil Hunt. Funded by: Nuffield Foundation. Project Start Date: 01/04/2018 - Project End Date: 30/09/2019 [details]
- The impact of the Youth Obligation on disadvantaged young people. With Anne Green. Funded by: Centrepoint. Project Start Date: 01/06/2017 - Project End Date: 31/11/2018 [details]
- Research into the educational psychology workforce in England. With David Owen, Beate Baldauf, Clare Lyonette and Michael Orton. Funded by Department for Education. Project Start Date: 18/06/2018 - Project End Date: 17/10/2018. [details].
- The wider (non-market) benefits of post 18 education. With Wil Hunt, Beate Baldauf, Daria Luchinskaya, Peter Dickinson and Alan Brown. Funded by Department for Edcuation. Project Start Date: 16/04/18 - Project End Date: 31/07/2018. [details]
- Productivity and Skills Commission Annual Report. With Chris Warhurst, Daria Luchinskay and David Owen. Funded by West Midlands Combined Authority. Project Start Date: 19/02/2018 - Project End Date: 30/06/2018 [details]
- The state of sexism in UK schools. With Clare Lyonette and Erika Kispeter. Funded by UK Feminista. Project Start date: 23/03/2016 - Project End date: 13/01/2017 [details]
- Precarious pathways to employment for young people? Unpaid, temporary and involuntary part-time work in transitions from education to employment. With Kate Purcell, Peter Elias, Anne Green, Noel Whiteside, Phil Mizen (Aston University), Melanie Simms (University of Leicester), David Wilson (Open University). Funded by: ESRC, Project Start Date 01/01/2014 - Project End Date30/09/2017 [details]
- Talent match evaluation and learning contract. With Anne Green, Duncan Adam. Sally-Anne Barnes, Maria G De Hoyos Guajardo, Jenny Bimrose. Funded by: Big Lottery Fund. Project Start Date: 01/11/2014 - Project End Date: 29/09/2019 [details}
- Adam, D. Atfield, G. and Green, A. (2017). 'What works? Policies for employability in cities'. Urban Studies. 54(5): 1162-1177. DOI: 10.1177/0042098015625021
- Green, A., Atfield, G. and Purcell, K. (2015) 'Fuelling displacement and labour market segmentation in low-skilled jobs? Insights from a local study of migrant and student employment', Environment and Planning A 48 (3), 577-593 DOI: 10.1177/0308518X15614327
- Atfield, G., Bashir, N., Crisp, R. and Powell, R. (2014) "A challenge to the status quo": Early experiences of involving young people in the Talent Match programme. Sheffield: Centre for Regional Economic and Social Research, Sheffield Hallam University
- Green, A.E., Atfield, G., Staniewicz, T., Baldauf, B. and Adam, D. (2014) 'Determinants of the composition of the workforce in low skilled sectors of the UK economy: Social care and retail sectors', Report for Migration Advisory Committee (MAC) of the Home Office
- Behle, H. and Atfield, G. (2013) 'Employability, key skills and graduate attributes', in The Global Student Experience: An International and Comparative Analysis, 78- 97, Editors: Kandiko, C.B. and Weyers, M. (978-0-415-80926-9) Routledge
- Atfield, G., Brahmbhatt, K., Hakimi, H., and O'Toole, T. (2012) 'Involving community researchers in refugee research', in Community Research for Participation: From Theory to Method, Editors: Goodson, L. and Phillimore, J. (9781847424358) Policy Press
All conference presentations
- DTC Qualitative Methods - Qualitative Interview Data Analysis (Lecturer, Doctoral Training Centre, University of Warwick, 2014 - to date)
- Methods in Migration Research MA (Convenor & Lecturer, University of Sussex, 2002-3)
- Migration Studies MA (Lecturer, University of Sussex, 2002-3)
- Refugees and Development MA (Lecturer, University of Sussex, 2002-3)
- European Cultural Identity MA (Lecturer, School of European Studies, University of Sussex, 2002-3)
- Contemporary European Migration BA/BSc Year 2/3 (Convenor & Lecturer, School of European Studies, University of Sussex, 2002-3)
- Issues in Contemporary Society: Migration BA/BSc Year 2/3 (Convenor & Lecturer, School of Social Science, University of Sussex, 2002-3)
- Cities BA/BSc Year 1 (Lecturer, Department of Geography, University of Sussex, 2002)
- Human Geography Fieldcourse BA/BSc Year 1 (Department of Geography, University of Sussex, 2002)
- Research Methods BA Year 3 (Seminar Leader, Department of Politics and Social Policy, Goldsmiths College (2001)
- Global Change BA/BSc Year 3 (Seminar Leader, Department of Geography, University of Newcastle, 1999-2000)
- Politics, Culture and Territory BA/BSc Year 3 (Seminar Leader, Department of Geography, University of Newcastle, 1998-9)
- British Association for Turkish Area Studies (BATAS)