Terence Hogarth leads a programme of research at IER on vocational education and training (VET) with a particular emphasis on apprenticeships. This research is very much concerned with understanding the relative effectiveness of national VET systems in satisfying both current and future labour market demand. Related to this, he also leads a programme of research at IER on skill mismatches using a range of methods including surveys, forecasting, foresight and text mining techniques. His current programme of research at IER comprises several projects looking at these issues.
Between 2016 and 2020, he was a Senior Adviser at Fondazione Giacomo Brodolini (FGB), a not-for-profit research foundation based in Rome, where he led a programme of cross-national research on employment and skills. His research at FGB focused on effective systems of skills governance and skills anticipation, and cross-country comparisons of apprenticeship systems.
At IER, from the mid-1990s onwards, he led the Net Costs and Benefits of Training to Employers series of studies which provided estimates of the net cost/benefit to employers of training apprentices. Over the past thirty five years his research has been funded by the CEDEFOP, the Department for Education, the European Commission, the Inter-American Development Bank, and the World Bank amongst others.
He has recently edited a series of essays on technology, skills an employment – published as Economy employment and skills: European, regional and global perspectives in an age of uncertainty (Rome: Quaderni Series No.61).
He was educated at Walbottle Comprehensive School and Newcastle University.
More information on Terence's projects.
- Barnes, S-A., Hogarth, T., Wright, S., Baldauf, B. and Cárdenas Rubio, J. with Ragnarsdottir, H. and Elmezraoui, W. (2023). Labour market information and an assessment of its applications: a series of international case studies. London: Department for Education.
- Dunkerley, F., Bruckmayer, M., Flemons, L., Hofman, J., Virdee, M., Wright, S. and Hogarth, T. (May 2022). Labour market and skills demand horizon scanning and future scenarios. Research Report. London: Department for Education.
- Dickinson, P. and Hogarth, T. (2021) The Benefits of Hindsight: Assessing the impact of apprenticeship reforms on employer behaviour. Final report prepared for Edge Foundation and Gatsby Foundation. Executive Summary and Short report.
- Hogarth, T. and Cardenas Rubio, J. (2021). The R&D Pipeline. Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy. BEIS Research Paper Number: 2021/22
- Barnes, S-A., Hogarth, T., Cárdenas-Rubio, J., Wright, S., Hawthorne, M., Bosworth, D., & Bosworth, L. (2021). Strategic, Accessible Labour Market Intelligence: Labour market demand and supply of skills (Report 1). IER
University of Warwick/Skills Development Scotland.
- Bosworth, D. with Hogarth, T., Cárdenas-Rubio, J., Barnes, S-A., Wright, S., & Bosworth, L. (2021). Strategic, Accessible Labour Market Intelligence: Performance of the labour market (Report 2). IER University of Warwick/Skills Development Scotland.
- Barnes, S-A., Bosworth, L., Wright, S., Hawthorne, M., Hogarth, T., Cárdenas Rubio, J. & Bosworth, D. (2021). Strategic, Accessible Labour Market Intelligence: Digital platform (Report 3). IER University of Warwick/Skills Development Scotland.
- Barnes, S-A., Bimrose, J., Cárdenas Rubio, J., Wilson, R., Owen, D., Hogarth, T., Bosworth, L., Day, R., Attwell, G., & Rustemeier, P. (2021). Enhancing a labour market information database: LMI for All Stakeholder Engagement and Usage, Data and Technical Developments (2019-2020)(Research report RR1096). London: Department for Education.
- Dickinson, P., Hogarth, T. and Cardenas Rubio, J. (2020). How Employers Set Pay For Apprentices. Low Pay Commission. Coventry: University of Warwick
- Gambin L. and Hogarth T. (2020) ‘Employers’ behavioural responses to the introduction of an Apprenticeship levy in England: an ex ante assessmentLink opens in a new window’, Journal of Vocational Education and Training. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/13636820.2020.1744689Link opens in a new window
Hogarth, T. (2019) Skills for the labour market: EU policies for VET and upskilling. Brussels: European Parliament Briefing EMPL Committee
- Gambin L and T Hogarth (2018) ' Just-in-time? Meeting employer STEM skill needs through apprenticeship training in EnglandLink opens in a new window’ in Economy, Employment and Skills: European, Regional and Global Perspectives in an Age of Uncertainty. Edited by Terence Hogarth. Rome: Fondazione Giacomo Brodolini.
Hogarth, T. (ed.) (2018) Economy Employment and Skills: European Regional and Global Perspectives in an Age of Uncertainty. Rome: Quaderni Fondazione G. Brodolini Studi e Ricerche. ISBN 9788895380452
- Gambin L. and Hogarth T. (2017) 'Employers and apprenticeships in England: costs, risks and policy reformsLink opens in a new window', Empirical Research in Vocational Education and Training, 9: 16. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1186/s40461-017-0060-5Link opens in a new window
- Gambin, L., Hogarth, T., Winterbotham, M., Huntley-Hewitt, J., Eastwood, L. and Vivian, D. (2016). The apprenticeship levy: How will employers respond? (Research report, DFE-RR612). London: Department for Education.
Green, A., Hogarth, T., Barnes, S-A, Gambin, L. and Sofroniou N. (2016) The UK's Skill System: Training, Employability and Gaps in Provision. London: Foresight, Government Office for Science.
- Green, A. and Hogarth, T. (2016) The UK skills system: how aligned are public policy and employer views of training provision? London: Foresight, Government Office for Science,.
- Hogarth, T.,Gambin, L,(2015) 'Evaluation of Business Class', Business in the Community (BITC)
All conference presentations