Room 209, Department of Computer Science
Tel: 24 765 73794
- Spatio-temporal quantization for querying large trajectory databases, VLDB '21.
- Project on spatio-temporal ML, with TfWM, Immense Simulations, one.network, blacc, and O2.
- Scalable linkage of mobility data management, ACM SIGMOD '20.
- Spatio-temporal forecasting via Graph ML, ACM IMWUT '20.
Hakan Ferhatosmanoglu is a Professor at the University of Warwick, and a Fellow at the Alan Turing Institute, the UK's national institute for data science and AI. His research interest is in building large-scale data systems, scalable search and data analytics. The research projects typically involve management of information from multiple sources while protecting the privacy of data subjects. An example application is to learn aggregate mobility patterns over large spatio-temporal databases. He has published in the premier venues of data driven research, including VLDB, KDD, SIGMOD, PODS, ICDE, SIGIR, CIKM, WSDM, VLDBJ, TKDE, and scalable data science solutions at IEEE T. Mobile Computing, IEEE Mobile Data Management, ACM UbiComp, ACM Multimedia. He has been the principal investigator of more than 20 funded projects, and closely working with industrial partners in developing commercial data analytics and machine learning solutions. Prof. Ferhatosmanoglu received his PhD in CS from University of California, Santa Barbara. He worked as a tenured professor at Ohio State (OSU), Bilkent, and visited Max Planck Institute (MPI) for Informatics and MPI for Software Systems with a research award by Humboldt Foundation. Past advisees work in permanent faculty positions at major research universities, and technology companies including Google, Amazon, Facebook, Oracle, Teradata, Microsoft. He received several Research Career Awards, including from the US Department of Energy, US National Science Foundation, and Alexander von Humboldt Foundation in Germany. He is currently the Director of EPSRC Centre for Doctoral Training (CDT) on Urban Science, Director of Computer Science CDT and Postgraduate Research, Deputy Head of Department of Computer Science, and member of the Board of Faculty of Science, Engineering, and Medicine at the University of Warwick.
ICDE 2021, 2020, 2019; SIGMOD 2021, 2018; VLDB 2019, 2018, 2017; Mobile Data Management 2020, 2019; CIKM 2020, 2019, 2017; SIGIR 2017, 2016; SIGMOD 2016, VLDB 2016, ECML/PKDD 2015, ECML/PKDD 2014, VLDB 2014, VLDB 2013, VLDB 2012 (Co-Chair, Workshops Program), VLDB 2012 (PC), SIGMOD 2011, ICDE 2011, ICDM 2011, ICDM 2010, ACM SIGIHI 2010, ACM SIGSPATIAL 2010, SIGMOD 2010 (Org.), SIGMOD 2010 (PC)
Spatial-Temporal Data Management
- PPQ-Trajectory: Spatio-temporal Quantization for Querying in Large Trajectory Repositories, VLDB 2021.
- SLIM: Scalable Linkage of Mobility Data, ACM SIGMOD 2020.
- D3P: Data-driven Demand Prediction for Fast Expanding Electric Vehicle Sharing Systems, ACM IMWUT (UbiComp) 2020.
- Fair Task Allocation in Crowdsourced Delivery, IEEE Trans. on Services Computing 2020.
- Privacy-Preserving Aggregate Queries for Optimal Location Selection, IEEE Trans. on Dependable and Secure Computing, 2019.
- Spatio-Temporal Linkage over Location-Enhanced Services, IEEE Trans. on Mobile Computing 2018.
- Multi-vehicle Route Planning for Efficient Urban Freight Transport, IEEE Intelligent Systems, 2018.
- Understanding and Predicting Trends in Urban Freight Transport, IEEE Mobile Data Management 2017.
- Location Recommendations for New Businesses using Check-in Data, IEEE SSTDM 2016.
- Generating Time-Varying Road Network Data Using Sparse Trajectories, IEEE SSTDM 2016.
- LineKing: Coffee Shop Wait-Time Monitoring Using Smartphones, IEEE Trans. on Mobile Computing 2015.
Scalable Data Systems
- Cascade-aware Partitioning of Large Graph Databases, VLDB Journal & poster at VLDB conference '19.
- Distributed Block Formation and Layout for Disk-based Management of Large-Scale Graphs, Distributed and Parallel Databases 2017.
- ALACA: A Platform for Dynamic Alarm Collection and Alert Notification in Network Management Systems, Network Management 2017.
- S3-TM: Scalable Streaming Short Text Matching, VLDB J 2015 & poster at VLDB conference 2016.
- Scaling Forecasting Algorithms using Clustered Modeling, VLDB J 2015 & poster at VLDB conference 2014.
- Temporal Workload-Aware Replicated Partitioning for Social Networks, IEEE Trans. on Knowledge and Data Engineering 2014.
Large-scale Search and Data Analytics
- Topic-Based Influence Computation in Social Networks under Resource Constraints, IEEE Trans. on Services Computing 2019.
- VISIR: Visual and Semantic Image Label Refinement, ACM WSDM (Web Search and Data Mining) 2018.
- Diverse Relevance Feedback for Time Series with Autoencoder Based Summarizations, IEEE Trans. on Knowledge and Data Engineering, 2018.
- Predicting Optimal Facility Location Without Customer Locations, ACM KDD (Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining) 2017.
- Learning to Un-rank: Quantifying Search Exposure for Users in Online Communities, ACM CIKM (Information and Knowlege Management) 2017.
- Aggregate Profile Clustering for Streaming Analytics, Computer J. 2015.
- Diversity based Relevance Feedback for Time Series Search, PVLDB 2014.
- Div-BLAST: Diversification of Sequence Search Results, PLOS ONE 2014.
- λ-diverse nearest neighbors browsing for multidimensional data, IEEE TKDE 2013.
- Aggregate Profile Clustering for Telco Analytics, PVLDB 2013.
- DOE Career Award 2003, U.S. Dept. of Energy
- NSF Career Award 2006, U.S. National Science Foundation
- Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, George Forster Award, Germany, 2016
- Large Interdisciplinary Research Award, OSU, 2004
- Lumley Research Accomplishment Award, OSU, 2007
- IBM Faculty Award, 2010
- Career Award (GEBIP), Turkish Academy of Sciences, 2012