Room 228, Department of Computer Science
Tel: 24 765 73794
A new PhD position is potentially available, please contact me with a CV and related materials.
Biography and Research
Hakan Ferhatosmanoglu is a Professor of Computer Science at University of Warwick. His research interest is in building software systems for data analytics. His work addresses data and systems challenges including integrating multiple sources of information, scaling machine learning in terms of size and variety of data, and protecting the privacy of data subjects. An example application is to learn aggregate mobility patterns over multiple sources of urban data. He publishes in prestigious venues of data systems and analytics research and served in the committees of VLDB, KDD, SIGMOD, ICDE, ICDM, ECML/PKDD, CIKM, and SIGIR. He is an editorial board member of Distributed and Parallel Databases Journal.
Dr. Ferhatosmanoglu has been the Principal Investigator of more than 15 externally funded projects. His research has been supported by grants from government agencies including the US Department of Energy and US National Science Foundation, and companies including Pfizer and IBM. He supervised more than 30 graduate students, including 9 PhDs to completion. Advisees now work in faculty positions at research universities, or companies such as Google, Amazon, Intel, Microsoft, Teradata, Oracle, among others.
Dr. Ferhatosmanoglu received several Career Awards, from the US Department of Energy, US National Science Foundation, Turkish Academy of Sciences, and Alexander von Humboldt Foundation in Germany. He received an IBM Faculty Award, a Lumley Research Award for outstanding research and a large interdisciplinary research award at OSU. He served as the Recruitment Coordinator and Information Systems Option Coordinator at OSU CSE department.
Dr. Ferhatosmanoglu received his PhD in CS from University of California Santa Barbara in 2001. He worked as a Professor at Bilkent and Ohio State University (OSU) with tenure, and visited Max Planck Institute (MPI) for Informatics and MPI for Software Systems with an award from Humboldt Foundation.
- Diverse Relevance Feedback for Time Series with Autoencoder Based Summarizations, IEEE Trans. on Knowledge and Data Engineering. 2018.
- Spatio-Temporal Linkage over Location-Enhanced Services, IEEE Trans. on Mobile Computing 2018.
- VISIR: Visual and Semantic Image Label Refinement, ACM WSDM 2018.
- Learning to Un-rank: Quantifying Search Exposure for Users in Online Communities, ACM CIKM 2017.
- Privacy-Preserving Aggregate Queries for Optimal Location Selection, IEEE Trans. on Dependable and Secure Computing 2017.
- Predicting Optimal Facility Location Without Customer Locations, ACM KDD 2017.
- Understanding and Predicting Trends in Urban Freight Transport, IEEE Mobile Data Management 2017.
- Topic-Based Influence Computation in Social Networks under Resource Constraints, IEEE Trans. on Services Computing 2017.
- Distributed Block Formation and Layout for Disk-based Management of Large-Scale Graphs, Distributed and Parallel Databases 2017.
- ALACA: A Platform for Dynamic Alarm Collection and Alert Notification in Network Management Systems, Network Management 2017.
- Location Recommendations for New Businesses using Check-in Data, IEEE SSTDM 2016.
- Generating Time-Varying Road Network Data Using Sparse Trajectories, SSTDM 16. temporal road graph & code
- S3-TM: Scalable Streaming Short Text Matching, VLDB J. 2015 (& @VLDB '16).
- LineKing: Coffee Shop Wait-Time Monitoring Using Smartphones, IEEE Trans. on Mobile Computing 2015.
- Aggregate Profile Clustering for Streaming Analytics, Computer J. 2015.
- Scaling Forecasting Algorithms using Clustered Modeling, VLDB J. 2015 (& @VLDB '14).
- Div-BLAST: Diversification of Sequence Search Results, PLOS ONE 2014. try online
- Temporal Workload-Aware Replicated Partitioning for Social Networks, IEEE Trans. on Knowledge and Data Engineering 2014.
- Diversity based Relevance Feedback for Time Series Search, VLDB 2014.
- DOE Career Award 2003, U.S. Dept. of Energy
- Large Interdisciplinary Research Award, OSU, 2004
- NSF Career Award 2006, U.S. National Science Foundation
- Lumley Research Accomplishment Award, OSU, 2007
- IBM Faculty Award, 2010
- Career Award (GEBIP), Turkish Academy of Sciences, 2012
- Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, George Forster Award, Germany, 2016
VLDB 2019, ICDE 2019, SIGMOD 2018, VLDB 2018, CIKM 2018, VLDB 2017, SIGIR 2017, CIKM 2017, SIGIR 2016, SIGMOD 2016, VLDB 2016, ECML/PKDD 2015, ECML/PKDD 2014, VLDB 2014, VLDB 2013, VLDB 2012 (Co-Chair, Workshops Program), VLDB 2012 (PC), SIGMOD 2011, SIGMOD 2010, ICDE 2011, ICDM 2011, ICDM 2010, ACM SIGIHI 2010, ACM SIGSPATIAL 2010, SIGMOD 2010.