Room 209, Department of Computer Science
- Project on spatio-temporal graph analytics, with WMCA, and post-doctoral researcher position.
- Spatio-temporal quantization, VLDB '21.
- Best CS dissertation award to Sean Hooker in our group for his MSc project on quantized deep learning models.
- Project on spatio-temporal ML, with TfWM, Immense Simulations, one.network, blacc, and O2.
- PhD scholarships for 2021
- Spatio-temporal forecasting via graph ML, ACM IMWUT '20.
- Scalable linkage for large-scale spatio-temporal databases, ACM SIGMOD '20.
Hakan Ferhatosmanoglu is a Professor at the University of Warwick, and a Fellow at the Alan Turing Institute, the UK's national institute for data science and AI. His research interest is in building data systems, scalable search and data analytics. The research problems involve management of information from multiple sources while protecting the privacy of data subjects. An example application is to learn aggregate mobility patterns over large spatio-temporal databases. He has published in the premier venues of data systems and analytics, including VLDB, KDD, SIGMOD, PODS, ICDE, SIGIR, CIKM, WSDM, EDBT, VLDBJ, TKDE, and mobility data science solutions at IEEE T. Mobile Computing, IEEE Mobile Data Management, ACM UbiComp. He has been the principal investigator of more than 20 externally funded grants, and working with industrial partners in developing scalable data analytics and machine learning solutions. Prof. Ferhatosmanoglu received his PhD in CS from University of California, Santa Barbara. He worked as a tenured professor at Ohio State (OSU), Bilkent, and visited Max Planck Institute (MPI) for Informatics and MPI for Software Systems with a research award by Humboldt Foundation. Past advisees work in permanent faculty positions at major research universities, and technology companies including Google, Amazon, Facebook, Oracle, Teradata, Microsoft. He received several prestigious Research Career Awards, including from the US Department of Energy, US National Science Foundation, and Alexander von Humboldt Foundation. He is the Director of EPSRC Centre for Doctoral Training (CDT) on Urban Science, Director of Computer Science CDT and Postgraduate Research, Deputy Head of Department of Computer Science, and member of the Board of Faculty of Science, Engineering, and Medicine at the University of Warwick.
SIGMOD 2022, 2021, 2018; ICDE 2021, 2020, 2019; Mobile Data Management 2021, 2020, 2019; VLDB 2019, 2018, 2017; CIKM 2020, 2019, 2017; SIGIR 2017, 2016; SIGMOD 2016, VLDB 2016, ECML/PKDD 2015, ECML/PKDD 2014, VLDB 2014, VLDB 2013, VLDB 2012 (Co-Chair, Workshops Program), VLDB 2012 (PC), SIGMOD 2011, ICDE 2011, ICDM 2011, ICDM 2010, ACM SIGSPATIAL 2010, SIGMOD 2010 (Org.), SIGMOD 2010 (PC)..
Spatial-Temporal Data Management
- PPQ-Trajectory: Spatio-temporal Quantization for Querying in Large Trajectory Repositories
- SLIM: Scalable Linkage of Mobility Data
- D3P: Data-driven Demand Prediction for Fast Expanding Electric Vehicle Sharing Systems
- Fair Task Allocation in Crowdsourced Delivery
- Privacy-Preserving Aggregate Queries for Optimal Location Selection
- Spatio-Temporal Linkage over Location-Enhanced Services
- Diverse Relevance Feedback for Time Series with Autoencoder Based Summarizations
- Predicting Optimal Facility Location Without Customer Locations
- Generating Time-Varying Road Network Data Using Sparse Trajectories
- λ-diverse nearest neighbors browsing for multidimensional data
- Diversity based Relevance Feedback for Time Series Search
Scalable Data Systems and Analytics
- Cascade-aware Partitioning of Large Graph Databases
- Distributed Block Formation and Layout for Disk-based Management of Large-Scale Graphs
- Topic-Based Influence Computation in Social Networks under Resource Constraints
- VISIR: Visual and Semantic Image Label Refinement
- Scaling Forecasting Algorithms using Clustered Modeling
- ALACA: A Platform for Dynamic Alarm Collection and Alert Notification in Network Management Systems
- Learning to Un-rank: Quantifying Search Exposure for Users in Online Communities
- Div-BLAST: Diversification of Sequence Search Results
- Aggregate Profile Clustering for Telco Analytics
- S3-TM: Scalable Streaming Short Text Matching
- LineKing: Coffee Shop Wait-Time Monitoring Using Smartphones
- Temporal Workload-Aware Replicated Partitioning for Social Networks
- DOE Career Award 2003-2006, U.S. Department of Energy
- NSF Career Award 2006-2011, U.S. National Science Foundation
- Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, George Forster Award, 2016
- Large Interdisciplinary Research Award, OSU, 2004
- Lumley Research Accomplishment Award, OSU, 2007
- IBM Faculty Award, 2010
- Career Award, GEBIP, Turkish Academy of Sciences, 2012