Room 209, Department of Computer Science
Tel: 24 765 73794
We have a new PhD studentship and Post-doctoral Research fellow position, please get in touch.
Hakan Ferhatosmanoglu is a Professor at the University of Warwick, and a Fellow at the Alan Turing Institute, UK's national institute for data science and AI. His research interest is in building data systems for scalable search and data analytics. This involves management of information from multiple sources while protecting the privacy of data subjects. An example application is to learn aggregate mobility patterns over large spatio-temporal databases. He has been the Principal Investigator of more than 15 externally funded grants. He has supervised dozens of postgraduate students, including 10 PhDs to completion. Advisees have moved to work in faculty positions at major research universities, and companies including Google, Amazon, Facebook, Oracle, Teradata, Microsoft. He received several Research Career Awards, including from US Department of Energy, National Science Foundation, and Alexander von Humboldt Foundation.
ICDE 2020, Mobile Data Management 2020, VLDB 2019, MDM 2019, CIKM 2019, ICDE 2019, SIGMOD 2018, VLDB 2018, CIKM 2018, VLDB 2017, SIGIR 2017, CIKM 2017, SIGIR 2016, SIGMOD 2016, VLDB 2016, ECML/PKDD 2015, ECML/PKDD 2014, VLDB 2014, VLDB 2013, VLDB 2012 (Co-Chair, Workshops Program), VLDB 2012 (PC), SIGMOD 2011, ICDE 2011, ICDM 2011, ICDM 2010, ACM SIGIHI 2010, ACM SIGSPATIAL 2010, SIGMOD 2010 (Org.), SIGMOD 2010 (PC)
DOE Career Award 2003, U.S. Dept. of Energy
NSF Career Award 2006, U.S. National Science Foundation
Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, George Forster Award, Germany, 2016
Large Interdisciplinary Research Award, OSU, 2004
Lumley Research Accomplishment Award, OSU, 2007
IBM Faculty Award, 2010
Career Award (GEBIP), Turkish Academy of Sciences, 2012
Spatial-temporal Data Management
- Fair Task Allocation in Crowdsourced Delivery, IEEE Trans. on Services Computing (to appear)
- Privacy-Preserving Aggregate Queries for Optimal Location Selection, IEEE Trans. on Dependable and Secure Computing, 2019.
- Diverse Relevance Feedback for Time Series with Autoencoder Based Summarizations, IEEE Trans. on Knowledge and Data Engineering, 2018.
- Spatio-Temporal Linkage over Location-Enhanced Services, IEEE Trans. on Mobile Computing 2018.
- VISIR: Visual and Semantic Image Label Refinement, ACM WSDM (Web Search and Data Mining) 2018.
- Multi-vehicle Route Planning for Efficient Urban Freight Transport, IEEE Intelligent Systems, 2018.
- Predicting Optimal Facility Location Without Customer Locations, ACM KDD (Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining) 2017.
- Understanding and Predicting Trends in Urban Freight Transport, IEEE Mobile Data Management 2017.
- Location Recommendations for New Businesses using Check-in Data, IEEE SSTDM 2016.
- Generating Time-Varying Road Network Data Using Sparse Trajectories, IEEE SSTDM 2016. temporal road graph & code
- LineKing: Coffee Shop Wait-Time Monitoring Using Smartphones, IEEE Trans. on Mobile Computing 2015.
- Scaling Forecasting Algorithms using Clustered Modeling, VLDB Journal 2015 (& poster presentation at VLDB conference '14).
- Diversity based Relevance Feedback for Time Series Search, VLDB 2014.
- λ-diverse nearest neighbors browsing for multidimensional data, TKDE 2013.
Data Systems for Scalable Search and Analytics
- Cascade-aware Partitioning of Large Graph Databases, VLDB Journal (& poster presentation at VLDB conference '19)
- Topic-Based Influence Computation in Social Networks under Resource Constraints, IEEE Trans. on Services Computing (to appear)
- Distributed Block Formation and Layout for Disk-based Management of Large-Scale Graphs, Distributed and Parallel Databases 2017.
- ALACA: A Platform for Dynamic Alarm Collection and Alert Notification in Network Management Systems, Network Management 2017.
- Learning to Un-rank: Quantifying Search Exposure for Users in Online Communities, ACM CIKM (Information and Knowlege Management) 2017.
- S3-TM: Scalable Streaming Short Text Matching, VLDB Journal 2015 (& poster presentation at VLDB conference '16).
- Aggregate Profile Clustering for Streaming Analytics, Computer J. 2015.
- Div-BLAST: Diversification of Sequence Search Results, PLOS ONE 2014. try online
- Temporal Workload-Aware Replicated Partitioning for Social Networks, IEEE Trans. on Knowledge and Data Engineering 2014.