Jeisson Cárdenas-Rubio is a labour economist who joined IER as a Research Fellow in January 2020, after recently completing his PhD at Warwick University. Prior to his PhD studies, he was employed as a senior consultant, including for the World Bank, the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB), the National Administrative Department of Statistics (DANE) and the Ministry of Labour in Colombia, on topics related to skills and occupational change, Big Data and public policy design. His doctoral research investigated to what extent a web-based model of skill mismatches can be developed for countries where the information regarding the labour market is relatively scarce. Jeisson's current research interests focus on analysing Big Data sources and development of labour market information for career guidance, skill shortages identification and labour market forecasting. His interests in these areas span local, national and international aspects.
- Labour market information and an assessment of its applications ? A series of international case studies, with Sally-Anne Barnes, Terence Hogarth, Sally Wright, Beate Baldauf, Wafaa Elmezraoui, Hrafnhildur Ragnarsdottir, Funded by the Department for Education, Project Duration: February - July 2022
- Green jobs in Scotland? Workforce and demand research; with Chris Warhurst, Terence Hogarth and Pauline Anderson (University of Strathclyde); Funded by Skills Development Scotland; Project Duration: January 2022 to July 2022
- The engineering workforce - current and future challenges, and opportunities to transform; with Terence Hogarth, David Owen, Derek Bosworth and Luke Bosworth, Funded by Engineering UK, Project Duration: June 2021 - September 2021
- LMI for All, 2018-2021;Link opens in a new window With Sally-Anne Barnes, Jenny Bimrose, Rob Wilson, David Owen, Terence Hogarth, and Daria Luchinskaya, Luke Bosworth and Rosie Day from IER, and Pontydysgu. Funded by Department for Education. Project Start Date: 01/10/2018 - Project End Date: 30/09/2021
- Cardenas-Rubio, J. (2021). Classifying vacancy data at 6-digit level SOC 2020: A feasibility study. Coventry, University of Warwick.
- Hogarth, T. and Cardenas Rubio, J. (2021). The R&D Pipeline. Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy. BEIS Research Paper Number: 2021/22
- Barnes, S-A., Hogarth, T., Cárdenas-Rubio, J., Wright, S., Hawthorne, M., Bosworth, D., & Bosworth, L. (2021). Strategic, Accessible Labour Market Intelligence: Labour market demand and supply of skills (Report 1). IER
University of Warwick/Skills Development Scotland.
- Bosworth, D. with Hogarth, T., Cárdenas-Rubio, J., Barnes, S-A., Wright, S., & Bosworth, L. (2021). Strategic, Accessible Labour Market Intelligence: Performance of the labour market (Report 2). IER University of Warwick/Skills Development Scotland.
- Barnes, S-A., Bosworth, L., Wright, S., Hawthorne, M., Hogarth, T., Cárdenas Rubio, J. & Bosworth, D. (2021). Strategic, Accessible Labour Market Intelligence: Digital platform (Report 3). IER University of Warwick/Skills Development Scotland.
- Barnes, S-A., Bimrose, J., Cárdenas Rubio, J., Wilson, R., Owen, D., Hogarth, T., Bosworth, L., Day, R., Attwell, G., & Rustemeier, P. (2021). Enhancing a labour market information database: LMI for All Stakeholder Engagement and Usage, Data and Technical Developments (2019-2020)(Research report RR1096). London: Department for Education.
- Dickinson, P., Hogarth, T. and Cardenas Rubio, J. (2020). How Employers Set Pay For Apprentices. Low Pay Commission. Coventry: University of Warwick
- Cárdenas (2020). “A web-based approach to measure skill mismatches and skills profiles for a developing country: the case of Colombia”. Bogotá; D. C.: Editorial Universidad del Rosario. doi:10.2307/j.ctv1g6q8dv. Download.
- Cárdenas, Guataquí and Montaña (2015) “The issue of labour demand analysis in Colombia”. Perfil
de Coyuntura Económica. Perfil de Coyuntura Económica, Universidad de Antioquia - CIE, issue 24,
pages 71-107, October. Download.
- Cárdenas, Guataquí and Montaña (2015) “Methodology for analysing labour demand using data from
internet: The Colombian case”. Revista de Economía del Rosario, 18(01), 93-126. Download.
- Harvard University Press Release, "The worrisome deficit of technicians and technologists in Colombia"
Detailing research by Eduardo Lora contributed to reporting Jeisson Arley Cardenas Rubio and Jaime
Mauricio Montaña. Published online 2015. See.
- Cárdenas, Chaux and Otero (2018). “The usage of internet data to analyse housing prices in
Colombia”. Revista de Economía del Rosario, [S.l.], v. 22, n. 1, p. 25, apr. 2019. ISSN 2145-454X.
[online] Available at: Download. [Accessed: 02 jun. 2019].
- Cárdenas and Otero (2018). “Building a database for the real estate sector in Guatemala with an
application in the analysis of hedonic prices”. Central Bank Guatemala. [online] Available at:
Download [Accessed: 02 jun. 2019].
- Cárdenas, J., Gutiérrez, L. H., & Otero, J. (2017). Investigating diesel market integration in France:
Evidence from microdata. Energy Economics, 63, 314-321. Download.
- Cárdenas (2020). “Possible uses of labour demand and supply information to reduce skill mismatches”. Colombia Científica. [online] Available at: Download [Accessed: 02 Mar. 2020].
- Cárdenas (2020). “Information Problem in Labour Market and Big Data: Colombian Case”. Colombia Científica. [online] Available at: Download [Accessed: 02 Mar. 2020].
Cárdenas (2020). “Descriptive analysis of the vacancy database”. Colombia Científica. [online] Available at: Download [Accessed: 22 Apr. 2020].
Institute for Employment Research
University of Warwick
Coventry CV4 7AL
Tel: +44(0)24 76 151027
Jeisson dot cardenas-rubio at warwick dot ac dot uk