About the Sanctuary Scholarship
We are located on the outskirts of the city of Coventry which is recognised as a 'City of Sanctuary'. The 'City of Sanctuary' movement is committed to building a culture of hospitality and welcome, especially for those seeking sanctuary from war and persecution.
We provide a range of scholarships to enable refugees to progress to access university education. Since the launch of the scheme we have awarded 30 scholarships to postgraduate students.
We welcome applications from prospective students who are at risk as a result of the war in Ukraine and from any other country.
PGR applications will be considered at any time. There are a limited numbers and not all applications will be successful.
- Length of funding: 4 years (pro rata for part time)
- The full payment of academic fees
- Research Training and Support Grant of £5,000 (one-off)
- Value covers a maintenance stipend in line with UKRI rates (£15,609 for full-time award holders in 2022/23)
Eligible students must be of any nationality who hold one of the following statuses as granted by the UK government and/or whom are academics supported by the Council for At-Risk Academics (CARA):
- Refugee Status
- Asylum Seeker
- Definite Leave to Remain as a result of an asylum seeker application
- Limited Leave to Remain as a result of an asylum seeker application
- Humanitarian protection as a result of an asylum seeker application
- You were included as a dependent (spouse/child) on an application for asylum. Please note: Spouses/civil partners must have been the spouse/civil partner on the date on which the asylum application was made. Children/step-children must have been aged under 18 on the date on which the asylum application was made.
- UK visa concessions for Ukrainian nationals (gov.uk)
Should be looking to study a full-time or part-time Postgraduate Research course at the University. Find out more about our Postgraduate Research courses for 2022 entry. There is often flexibility to negotiate your start date.
Since the launch of our Sanctuary Scholarships Scheme, the University has awarded over 30 scholarships to Postgraduate Taught and Research students.
The application process...
Submit your admissions application
Receive your 7-digit applicant ID number and create your IT account
Submit your scholarship application.
Results will be communicated usually within 10 weeks of submiting your scholarship application.
We strongly advise that all applicants familiarise themselves with the Postgraduate Research Ranking Criteria listed below. This will be part of the assessment criteria used for allocating scholarships.
This is an open scheme and applications will be considered at any time. However, it may not be possible to commence study until a later point. Results will usually be communicated within 10 weeks of submitting a scholarship application.