The IER team have a considerable track record of conducting research into careers, guidance, ICT and policy developments in Information, Advice and Guidance Services in the UK. Projects have been funded by Government departments, charities and the European Commission.
Our programme of work ranges from an internationally unique qualitative, longitudinal five year study into the nature of effective career guidance tracking the career trajectories of the recipients of guidance, to the research and development of labour market information for practice, through to the investigation of ICT skills and competencies of practitioners. A substantive area of this work is also our research and development of ICT to support knowledge transfer amongst careers guidance practitioners and their use of labour market information (LMI). One example of this is the NGRF website, which was designed to bring guidance and research together for the benefit for the broad community of guidance practice.
The aim of our work in this field is to integrate and contribute to knowledge on careers guidance practice and theory with the aim of fostering a dialogue amongst key stakeholders and contribute to policy discussions about the future shape of services and workforce capacity.
- ESRC Seminar Series: Re-framing Service Delivery, Professional Practices and Professional Identities in UK Careers Work, ESRC, Project Start Date: 01/11/2010 Project End Date: 31/10/2012 [details]
- LMI Updates for 2010 - 2011 for Parents and Carers, Connexions Partnership Kent and Medway Limited, Project Start Date: 01/04/2010 Project End Date: 31/03/2011 [details]
- Enhancing the Capability of Guidance to Add Value to Post-Compulsory Learning
- Content Editing and Management of SSC Derived Labour Market Information, DMH Associates (02/11/2009 - 01/04/2010) More Details
- An Investigation into the Skills Needed by Connexions Personal Advisers to Deliver Internet-Based Guidance, CfBT Education Trust (01/09/2009 - 31/01/2010) More Details
- Establishing World Class Careers Education and Guidance in Kent (supplement), Connexions Partnership Kent and Medway Limited (01/04/2009 - 31/03/2010) More Details
- Enhancement to Content of Existing On-Line Training and Development Resources to Support Information, Advice and Career Guidance Practitioners to Use Labour Market Information, Skills Development Scotland (01/12/2008 - 31/03/2009)
- Forms of Career Development and Continuing Vocational Training (CVT), European Commission (01/03/2008 - 28/02/2010) More Details
- Quality Standards for Labour Market Information, Skillset (01/12/2007 - 31/03/2008) More Details
- Bimrose, J., Barnes, S-A. & Attwell, G. (2010) 'An Investigation into the Skills Needed by Connexions Personal Advisers to Develop Internet-based Guidance (Guidance Report)', Reading: CfBT Education Trust, (See also Executive summary) [Report] [view]
- Brown, A., Bimrose, J., Barnes, S-A, Kirpal, S., Grønning, T. & Dæhlen M. (2010) Changing patterns of working, learning and career development across Europe, Coventry: IER, University of Warwick.
- Bimrose, J. & Brown, A. (2010). 'Older workers’ transitions in work-related learning, careers and identities.' In K. Ecclestone, G. Biesta & M. Hughes (eds) Transitions and Learning Through the Lifecourse,Routledge: Abingdon. [ISBN: 978-0-415-48174-8]
- Bimrose, J. & Barnes, S-A. (2009) 'Measuring the effectiveness of career counselling' in Bildungsberatung im Dialog: Grundlagen der Berufs- und Erwachsenenbildung (Band 61), 79 - 96, Editors: R. Arnold W. Gieseke C. Zeuner (978-3-8340-0554-0), Baltmannsweiler, Germany: Schneider Verlag Hohengehren Gmbh Publishing Company
- Bimrose, J., Barnes, S-A. & Hughes, D. (2008) 'Adult career progression & advancement: A five year study of the effectiveness of guidance', Coventry: Warwick Institute for Employment Research/DfES, [Report to Government] [view]
- Bimrose, J., Brown, A., & Barnes, S-A. (2008) 'Researching careers, learning and identities: Career attachments as anchors or chains?' Perspectives in Education 26 (3), 71 - 81 (0258-2236)
- Brown, A., Bimrose, J., Barnes, S-A., Kirpal, S., Grønning, T. & Dæhlen, M. (2010) 'Changing Patterns of Work, Learning and Career Development Across Europe (Final Report EACEA/2007/07)', Brussels: Education, Audiovisual & Culture Executive Agency, [Report] [view]
- Bimrose, J. & Barnes, S-A (2010) 'Labour Market Information (LMI), Information Communications and Technologies (ICT) and Information, Advice and Guidance (IAG). The way forward?', London, UK: UK Commission for Employment and Skills, [Report to Government] [view]