This guide covers the annual rollover process for Moodle spaces which takes place in the summer to ensure Moodle spaces are created and content added as required for the coming academic year.
What is academic year rollover?
Each academic year new blank module spaces are created on Moodle ready for teaching content and activities to be added. Moodle will not automatically copy your content from a previous academic year to the new academic year. The Academic Year Rollover tool allows a nominated individual for each department to enter decisions on whether content should be carried over to the next academic year.
Please note enrolment rules set up in Moodle Admin can't be rolled over and should be created again for the new academic year where relevant.
Who is responsible for making rollover decisions?
Ultimately the course leader and teaching team are responsible for deciding how the course should be created for the following year. The nominated individual responsible for entering the decisions into the system will differ in each department.
The nominated individual will normally be an academic technologist or someone with a similar role. If you are not sure who your nominated individual is in your department please contact moodle at warwick dot ac dot uk
What decisions need to be made?
A blank Moodle space will automatically be created for all UG and PG modules in SITS. For each module you will have the following options:
For the new space:
- import content from last year
- import content and staff enrolments
- create a blank space
- apply a department template (if your department has one)
For the old space:
- remove manual staff enrolments from the previous academic year
- keep staff enrolments
When will Moodle spaces be available?
This depends on the availability of the rollover tool and the setup of modules in SITS. There are several steps leading to the Moodle spaces being created.
- The rollover tool will check which modules are set to run for the upcoming academic year in SITS. If the module is not set up correctly in SITS, you will not see the module listed in the rollover tool. If you are not sure, ask your administrators to ensure that there is a 'MAV' (Module Availability record) for the module.
- Rollover decisions are made by the department representative and inform Academic Technology.
- The decisions are processed and the spaces appear in Moodle.
If no decisions are made, blank Moodle spaces will automatically be generated at the turn of the academic year (1st August) for all scheduled modules.
Please also note that modules which did not run last year will not be included in this year's rollover tool. You might consider importing content from one Moodle space to another in these instances.
If you have any questions about rollover decisions please contact moodle at warwick dot ac dot uk
- Introduction to eStream
- Access your eStream content
- Uploading videos to eStream
- Edit videos in eStream
- Edit video thumbnail
- Uploading a closed captions (subtitles) file to eStream
- Add eStream videos to Mahara
- Sharing eStream videos to Moodle
- Sharing an eStream video with a link
- Setup a video assignment in Moodle
- Introduction to Echo360
- Getting started with Echo360 Lecture Capture
- Getting started with Universal Capture (Personal)