A participation report for a particular activity can be generated by a manager, course leader, editing-teacher or non-editing teacher.
The participation report shows which users have participated in a chosen activity.
An extremely useful feature of the participation report is the option to send a message to all students who have not completed a certain action.
1. To access a participation report, click on the main settings cog wheel (top right-hand corner of the course page).
2. Scroll down the page and you'll see a 'Reporting' section, with a link to 'Course participation'.
3. First, using the drop-down menu, choose with activity in the course you want to see a participation report for.
4. Next, if you wish, using the drop-down menu, choose how far you want to look back, from 1 day to 11 months. If you do not set a look back time, the report will be 'all-time'.
5. The next important drop-down menu is for you to filter users by role, for the majority, you are likely going to want to choose 'Student' from this list.
6. The final drop-down menu, allows you to choose an action, which might be 'All actions' (view or post), or either simply 'View' (look at) or 'Post' (a discussion post, an assignment, a quiz attempt etc).
7. Once you have made all of your selections from the drop-down menus, click 'Go'.
8. You will then be presented with the participation report for the activity, based on your selections.
With the report, you can sort the 'action' column by clicking on the blue link which describes the action that you chose in step 6. This will then group the Yes and No's together so that you can easily click all of the boxes with a 'No' next to them (users with a particular role, most likely student's, who have not carried out the certain action).
9. If you then scroll to the bottom of the page, you'll see another drop-down menu, which allows you to choose the option to 'Send a message' to the selected users.
10. When you click 'Send a message', a pop-up box will appear to allow you to compose your message for the selected users. When you click send, this will send an email notification to the email address asssociated with their Moodle account.
For more guidance on the Course participation report see:
The information on this page relates to Moodle v3.4 and was last updated August 2018.
- Introduction to managing course participants
- Enrolment methods and managing access permissions
- Roles and their functions in Moodle
- Use groups and groupings
- Import and populate groups
- Enable activity completion
- Mark activity completion manually
- Track activity completion
- Course completion
- Course participation
- Introduction to assessment and feedback
- Create a fail / pass scale
- Create a custom certificate
- Create and manage badges
- Reports, logs and completion data in Moodle
- Introduction to eStream
- Access your eStream content
- Uploading videos to eStream
- Edit videos in eStream
- Edit video thumbnail
- Uploading a closed captions (subtitles) file to eStream
- Add eStream videos to Mahara
- Sharing eStream videos to Moodle
- Sharing an eStream video with a link
- Setup a video assignment in Moodle
- Introduction to Echo360
- Getting started with Echo360 Lecture Capture
- Getting started with Universal Capture (Personal)