The course participation report generates a list of who has participated in an activity, and how many times. It can be filtered by role, group, or action (View or Post).
You can use the report to send users a message; for example, you might wish to send a reminder to users who have not interacted with an activity.
Please see the video below for an overview of the course participation report (03:26):
Create a participation report
The participation report can be generated by people with editing rights and non-editing teachers.
- Go to the relevant Moodle space.
- Click the Actions menu.
- Click More at the bottom of the menu.
- Under Reports, select Course participation.
- For Activity module, select the relevant activity.
- For Look back, select the time period you would like to report by. If nothing is selected, this will show all available records.
- For Show only, select the role you would like to filter by.
- For View actions, filter by either View (a participant has looked at an activity) or Post (a participant has engaged with an activity by adding a discussion post, submitting an assignment, completing a quiz attempt etc).
- Click Go.
You will then be presented with the participation report for the activity, based on your selections.
Send users a message
To use the course participation report to send users a message, please first complete steps 1-9 above. You should then also complete the following:
- Click on the All actions header to group students into Yes and No. To message users who have not interacted with the activity, select all users with No in the All actions column.
- At the bottom of the page, select Send a message from the drop-down menu.
- Type your message to the selected users in the pop-up box. When you click Send, this will send an email notification to the email address associated with their Moodle account.
More information on the course participation report is available at Moodle Docs.Link opens in a new window
The information on this page relates to Moodle v3.11 and was last updated July 2022.
- Introduction to assessment and feedback
- Create a custom certificate
- Create and manage badges
- Reports, logs and completion data in Moodle
- Introduction to eStream
- Access your eStream content
- Uploading videos to eStream
- Edit videos in eStream
- Edit video thumbnail
- Uploading a closed captions (subtitles) file to eStream
- Add eStream videos to Mahara
- Sharing eStream videos to Moodle
- Sharing an eStream video with a link
- Setup a video assignment in Moodle
- Introduction to Echo360
- Getting started with Echo360 Lecture Capture
- Getting started with Universal Capture (Personal)