This guide gives you an overview of how to structure your Moodle space and links you to resources for further support. The guide will cover how to add blocks, how to add activities and resources, and how to change course details.
See also the Edit your Moodle space guide for more information on accessing editing tools in Moodle.
The following course formats are available at Warwick:
|Format name||Format description|
|Topics||Each section fully expanded with a title and contents visible in a long list|
|Weekly||Organised with a section for each week of your course|
|Collapsible topics||A version of the topics format that adds collapsing behaviour to sections to reduce page size|
|Social||Designed around a forum for a more free-form experience|
|Single-activity||A single section with a single activity|
There are two other formats currently available, Collapsed Topics and Grid, but these are not accessible and we do not recommend their use. Find out how to change the course format at our Change course format guide.
Course sections break up the course into manageable or logical sections which could relate to a time period, a particular project or to a pedagogic process of your choice. Sections are displayed differently depending on the course format chosen.
Editing course sections
See the Moodle video below for more information on editing course sections (01:47)
What are blocks?
See the Moodle video below for more information on blocks (01:36)
Once your structure is complete, the next step is to add content to your course by adding resources and activities.
Lay out a course
See the Moodle video below for more information on how to lay out a course (03:59)
- Introduction to managing course participants
- Enrolment methods and managing access permissions
- Roles and their functions in Moodle
- Use groups and groupings
- Import and populate groups
- Enable activity completion
- Mark activity completion manually
- Track activity completion
- Course completion
- Course participation
- Introduction to assessment and feedback
- Create a fail / pass scale
- Create a custom certificate
- Create and manage badges
- Reports, logs and completion data in Moodle
- Introduction to eStream
- Access your eStream content
- Uploading videos to eStream
- Edit videos in eStream
- Edit video thumbnail
- Uploading a closed captions (subtitles) file to eStream
- Add eStream videos to Mahara
- Sharing eStream videos to Moodle
- Sharing an eStream video with a link
- Setup a video assignment in Moodle
- Introduction to Echo360
- Getting started with Echo360 Lecture Capture
- Getting started with Universal Capture (Personal)