This guide details how to enable blind marking for the Moodle Assignment activity and what it means.
Blind marking is a feature of Moodle assignments that, when enabled, allows for submissions to be marked without personally identifiable information being visible to the marker. Instead of student names, you will see randomly generated participant numbers. Only users with the Manager role will still be able to see personally identifiable information. Using blind marking can improve fairness and equal treatment of students in the assessment process.
Enable blind marking for an assignment
If you are new to Moodle assignments and you haven't yet created one for which you want to enable blind marking, you might first want to have a look at the overview page on Assessment and Feedback which also links to other assessment guides.
- Turn editing on.
- Click on the gear icon of the assignment for which you want to enable blind marking.
- Click Edit settings in the drop-down list.
- In the Grade section, for Blind marking select Yes from the drop-down list.
- Click Save and display.
Reveal identities on the assignment grading page
Once you have completed marking, you must reveal the student identities in order for students to see their final grade, or advanced grading features such as rubrics. Note that if you are using the marking workflow feature as well, students will not be able to view feedback until it has been released AND the student identities are revealed.
- Click on the assignment activity for which you want to reveal student identities to teaching staff.
- Click on View all submissions.
- Select Reveal student identities from the Grading action drop-down.
- Click Continue to confirm that you want to reveal students' personal information on the assignment grading page.
For information on how to hide or show grades and feedback to students please follow the Hide or show feedback to students guide.
- Introduction to eStream
- Access your eStream content
- Uploading videos to eStream
- Edit videos in eStream
- Edit video thumbnail
- Uploading a closed captions (subtitles) file to eStream
- Add eStream videos to Mahara
- Sharing eStream videos to Moodle
- Sharing an eStream video with a link
- Setup a video assignment in Moodle
- Introduction to Echo360
- Getting started with Echo360 Lecture Capture
- Getting started with Universal Capture (Personal)