- Your ability to spot patterns/spatial clues and use them to solve problems
- Many organisations especially finance, accounting, banking, engineering
- Practice tests - Profiling for Success
- Used to evaluate your “fit” for the role/firm
- Profiling for Success questionnaires - assess your values, type dynamics, learning styles and a careers-based inventory
- Myers BriggsType Indicator (MBTI) workshop - find out how you engage and work with others. Employers do not use this to recruit candidates.
How to prepare
- Practise – first untimed, then introducing test conditions
- Read the question carefully
- Tackle aspects step by step, developing a strategy that works for you
- If you get stuck, make an educated guess or come back later if you are allowed
- Get into the habit of keeping going...
On the day
At home: Do the tests in a quiet area and make sure you have the time to complete them. Do the tests yourself – don’t use a clever friend! (You could be re-tested at the assessment centre).
At assessment centre: Work quickly but accurately through each question. Don’t get stopped by one difficult question – leave it and move on. Keep your eye on the time.
If you need help talk to staff at the help desk or make an appointment.
We also offer Numerical Skills Mentors Drop ins for support with any maths and stats queries.
- PracticeReasoningTests.com is a free resource to help job seekers improve their performance at employer reasoning tests.
- Job Test Prep - free tests and insights into which tests firms use, if in doubt contact the employer
- ETS: GRE - structure, strategies and scoring information
- Numerical Reasoning tests - free test trials
- Pearson TalentLens - trial numerical reasoning tests, try tests out and receive feedback
- Practice Aptitude Tests - numerical, verbal and diagrammatic reasoning tests
- Preparation Guide to Aptitude Tests - information from Saville Consulting
- Prospects: Psychometric assessments - information on aptitude and personality tests
- Realise Potential - FAQs covering common issues
- Situational Judgement Test
- Situational Reasoning Tests
- Graduate first practice tests
- Situational Strengths Test
E-books available via the library include:
There are also print copies of testing books in the main library and in Learning Grid, University House. Use the library catalogue to search for books.