Researching employers helps you to identify what kind of work is right for you, as well as being an important part of preparing for job applications and interviews.
- Researching helps you to understand the career options available
- To find out what qualifications, skills and experiences employers are looking for
- Understand how employers recruit - large graduate recruiters and smaller companies (SME's)
- Improve your job search and find careers you may not have thought of...
What employers expect
Research the employer - Organisational structure, values and vision, strategies and goals. Read annual reports, investor reports, news articles not just information available on the company website.
- Attend careers events such as job sector events, careers fairs and presentations
- MarketLine Advantage - is easy to use with company and job sector information
- Business databases - e.g. Nexisfor news , Fame for company reports and Mintel for marketing
- e-mentoring - connect with Warwick Alumni to help you get industry or career information
- Employer visit reports - written by Warwick careers staff
- List of companies that may accept a 2.2 degree
- Smaller companies (SME's)
Research the environment - competitors, economic conditions, political issues and regulatory issues that may affect the business.
- Follow the news on sector related websites, blogs, magazines, Finimize gives you daily bitesize business information or use MarketLine Advantage and Nexis
- Use professional bodies, trading unions and magazines for specific sectors - check job sectors
Research the role - typical activities, skills required, training, team size, related roles, realistic progression. Read the website but also: