Up to 20% of Warwick students undertake postgraduate study and it can be a rewarding experience but it's important that you do your research before committing yourself. Is postgraduate study necessary in your field? What are the costs involved?
A personal statement may be between 500-1000 words but requirements will vary between disciplines and courses. There is no definitive structure, but you may find it helpful to follow our guidelines.Personal statements
Why consider postgraduate study?
- You may enjoy your subject and want to study it in more depth, make sure this comes across in your applications
- Some occupational areas require further study, e.g. teaching, law and academia
- You've delayed job hunting, but remember that the graduate recruitment cycle starts again each autumn term
- The Careers Blog: Will a Masters get you a job?
- The Careers Blog: Should I do a PhD?
- Postgraduate diploma/certificate - usually one year full time vocational or professional qualifications e.g. law (GDL), teaching (PGCE)
- Taught Master's e.g. MA/MSC or MBA - usually one year full time, but can be studied part time over two years
- Research based Master's/doctorate e.g. MPhil or PhD -3 or 4 years of independent research, supervised by one or two academics. PhDs can also be linked to industry, with a greater emphasis on vocational input (e.g. EngD).
Before you apply
- Appointments - with a careers consultant to talk through your plans
- Graduate Employment Market Statistics (GEMS) - for information on the career paths of Warwick graduates
- Research your options - find out whether postgraduate study will enhance your future employability
- Search Careers & Skills library - for books on further study and funding
- Attend employer presentations, careers fairs and sector events to find out the employer perspective
- If you are considering a PhD, start thinking about possible supervisors and talk to current PhD students about their experience.
- Warwick Postgraduate Study and Research - has information on postgraduate study at Warwick.
- Findamasters.com - search online for Master's opportunities
- Findamasters.com: Postgraduate loans guide
- FindaPhD.com - search online for PhD opportunities
- Postgrad - search for courses and institutions
- Postgraduate Funding - search for small grants e.g. top-up grants
- Postgraduate Studentships - information on courses, universities and student profiles
- Prospects: postgraduate study - including courses, funding, applications and career destinations
- Research Councils UK - for links to all the research council
- Targetpostgrad funding - searchable database for funding by university and course
- The University of Kent: postgraduate study - including choosing courses, funding, study abroad, applications and interviews.