Student Opportunity Helpdesk
The careers team within Student Opportunity are open to support you during the Coronavirus outbreak, and in line with government guidelines we are doing this remotely.
Follow the links below to access remote services, or see our FAQ for more information on what help is available.
Our team talk to you about searching for jobs interviews and work experience remotely via MS Teams or Skype.JOB SEARCH APPOINTMENT
Meet with a Senior Careers Consultant or Careers Project Officer remotely via MS Teams or Skype for an in depth discussion to help with your career planning and career choices.GUIDANCE APPOINTMENT
Our team can provide you with feedback on your CV, covering letters, job applications and personal statements.
You can book an appointment on myAdvantage which gives you a dedicated timeslot on an advisers calendar to receive feedback. You don’t need to attend this appointment, the adviser will review your documents remotely and will respond via a journal entry in myAdvantage within one working day from your booking.
To help you get the most from this appointment you should visit our help and support pages so that you can maximise the expertise of our team of advisers:
- Review our Application support pages
- Use the Action Apply Moodle to understand what makes a good application
- If you have previously received feedback from the team please review this feedback and ensure you are applying the same principles to new applications which you are making
Once you are ready you can book via myAdvantage selecting E-Guidance: Application review as the appointment type.
We have staff who work with specific departments, find out who is best for you to speak to.WHO TO SEE
The WBS CareersPlus team can help with CVs, applications, mock interviews, career guidance and any other queries.BOOK
Online resources and careers information for postgraduate research studentsPGR SUPPORT
Our experienced staff support students and graduates with:
- Building confidence and self-awareness
- Developing the skills graduate recruiters look for
- Advice and guidance on career options
- Preparing and applying for jobs, further study and work experience
Student Opportunity Hub
Short drop-ins for CV and application reviews and quick career enquiries
Careers workshops, bookable through myAdvantage
University House Learning Grid 1
- 30 minute careers guidance appointments- bookable through myAdvantage
- 20 minute bookable appointments for CV and application reviews and quick career enquiries
- If you are a WBS student, please access services provided by WBS Careers Plus
- We provide careers resources and online learning through our website and Moodle courses
- Events, workshops and appointments are all bookable through myAdvantage our online portal
- Our Careers Blog
- E-guidance and Skype for graduates and current students unable to meet us on campus during vacation periods and for part time students during term time
In Academic Departments
- Appointments ring-fenced for students within Departments – bookable through myAdvantage
- Workshops and careers activities tailored to specific student needs
- Access to appropriately qualified, trained and experienced staff, with a range of commercial, industrial, academic and professional experience
- Our service is impartial - we work with you to explore possible career ideas and support you to achieve your personal vision of career success
- What you discuss with a member of staff in a one to one careers appointment will be treated in confidence to careers staff. An exception would be where a member of staff was concerned that you may be at risk of harming yourself or others.
- Data on your attendance at Careers activities may be shared with your academic department (e.g. for module credit)
- Take responsibility for planning and managing your own career. You do not need a career idea in order to see a member of the careers team; we can help you to get started on your career planning by exploring with you your hopes, values, strengths and motivations
- Honour any commitments that you have made with us; turn up on time for the start of events or workshops you have signed up to. Failure to attend two events or appointments will result in temporary withdrawal of bookable services for 4 weeks
- Have a realistic view of what we can discuss with you during the time available (20 or 30 minutes) and attend appointments on time. If you arrive late then your appointment will be shortened accordingly
- If you want to discuss your CV or an application please bring a copy to your appointment
- Give feedback on our services when requested about your experience of the service so we can evaluate and improve our services to you
- Respond to requests for information on what you are doing after graduation
- If you think we are doing something well, please let us know
- Proof read or spellcheck your applications or CVs
- Offer unlimited appointments. Autumn term in particular is very busy and it is unlikely that we will be able to offer you multiple appointments. Our aim is to support as many students as we can. However you may attend as many workshops as you require, should there be space available.
- Careers website
- Careers Blog
- Careers and Skills Youtube Channel
- Employer events on campus
- Vacancies and internships
- Work experience
- International careers
- Warwick Volunteers
- Skills development
- Undergraduate Research
- Sprint female development programme
- Alumni mentoring
- Student Wellbeing
The Careers team are dedicated to helping all students. Our diversity pages cover information for:
- Students with a disability (visible or invisible), long term or mental health condition
- BAME students
- LGBTUA+ students
- Mature students
You may also find Warwick's Equality, Diversity and Inclusion pages useful.