Law is a popular graduate career choice and is open to both law and non law students. To become a practising lawyer in the UK the main options are the Barrister or Solicitor route. There are also related professions including Legal Executives (qualified support staff), and Trade Mark Attorneys and Patent Attorneys who deal with intellectual property rights. Whilst strong academics are needed to succeed in law, making the most of your time at Warwick through extra-curricular activities and paid employment as well as gaining relevant work experience particularly in your penultimate year will all enhance your chances. Patent attorneys need a science degree, English language skills and a working knowledge of French and German.
- The Careers Blog: Three top tips to "nail" your law firm applications
- Year 1 induction
- Warwick Commercial Law: How to turn a vacation scheme into a training contract - Warwick students talking about their experiences at a vacation scheme, 11th March 2014 (login using your Warwick ITs username & password).
- Applications, The Legal Sector
Professional Associations/Trade Bodies
- Bar Council's education and training - comprehensive guide to training as a barrister
- Junior Lawyers Division - represents training and recently qualified solicitors, affiliated with the Law society
- Law Society - information about all areas of the solicitors' profession
- Solicitors Regulation Authority - sets out the regulations surrounding qualification.
- Chartered institute of patent attorneys - excellent careers section explaining opportunities available in intellectual property
- Crown Prosecution Service - government website containing news and information on jobs and recruitment
- Fulbright Commission – excellent resources for those wanting to practise law in the States
- Gateway, The - information on the legal sector, commercial awareness and vacancies
- I pro bono - linking organisations with students and lawyers interested in pro bono work
- Institute of Legal Executives - professional body providing training and standards for legal executives
- Institute of Trade Mark Attorneys – includes a good careers section
- Lex 100 - information on legal firms and career advice
- Lawyer2B - information on getting a training contract or pupillage, news, features and analyses of the latest events in the changing legal landscape
- Law Careers - careers and recruitment in the law
- Skills for justice - career information for legal services
- TARGETjobs employer insights
- The Pupillage Pages - career, application information and a forum on applying for pupillages
- Warwick Law Society