Consultancies sell specialist knowledge and advice to businesses. Large consultancy firms may offer all-round solutions to their clients, covering all areas of business from finance through management to technology. Other consultancy firms may specialise in a particular business aspect like IT, sustainability, legal, HR, marketing or economics. This section covers generic business consultancy work which is usually referred to as management consulting or strategic consulting.
In all cases, the work of a consultant is project based, involves travel and communication with business clients, and high degree of problem solving skills usually combined with specialist knowledge.
With 99 applications per graduate vacancy, consulting and business services are one of the most competitive industries according to the 2010 AGR survey.
How do I write a CV?
This short course will take you through the basics of writing a CV.Learn
Learn how to pass interviews and assessment centers.More
This short course will teach you how to write a covering letter.Learn
The case study interview - useful resources
- Breaking and Entering – The Graduate’s Guide to Management Consulting - Zihao Xu, 2013, ISBN-13: 978-0992729103
- City Series - available to buy
- Crack the Case System: How to Conquer Your Case Interviews - David Ohrvall, 2015, ISBN-13: 978-0996779203
- Management Consultancy - Joe O’Mahoney, 2013, ISBN: 9780199645473
- The Case Interview: 20 Days to Ace the Case: Your Day-By-Day Prep Course to Land a Job in Management Consulting - Destin Whitehurst, 2016, ISBN-13: 978-1623156831