Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Diary, volume 8, March - June 1920

Extract from vol. 8 of Eileen Younghusband's diaries

This transcript reproduces Eileen Younghusband's writing as accurately as possible, including errors of spelling and punctuation. When personal and place names are misspelt, we have attempted to include the correct versions of the names in square brackets [ ] after the misspelling.

The language and opinions found in the diaries reflect the ideas, attitudes and events of the period. Some of the terminology and language used at that time may cause offence today but the content has been made available unedited. We hope that the context of the material will be taken into account and apologise for any offence caused.

Links in the text highlight images, publications, biographical information and other contextual material, including primary sources held by other archives, museums and libraries.

Suggested citation for this volume: Diary 8, Mar-Jun 1920; Eileen Younghusband archive, Modern Records Centre, University of Warwick (MSS.463/EY/J8)

Images of the original diaryLink opens in a new window are available through Warwick Digital Collections.

Thursday March 25th 1920.

I couldn't find a note book the seize all the others have been so I had to get this size.

Miss Hills came and gave me a lesson on Monday morning and directly after Alice came to see Mummy and to discuss the Devonshire House Ball. Mummy said at first that she didn't want me to go at all and she would much rather I didn't go but we finally made her see it in a better light and she consented and now seems quite happy about it.

Esther came to luncheon. Her family have gone back to Warren Lodge but she stayed behind a few days to do girl guides.

Daddie and I went in the afternoon to the flower show at Vincent Square; it wasn't quite so crowded as last time and the hycinthos [ hyacinthus ]; tulips; freesias (violet, yellow and rose coloured), roses, and alpine gardens were lovely.

Lily came to tea and we discussed the usual subjects and suddenly remembered the joyful fact that a ball also means supper!

Oh dear! I've got all muddled up and put down Tuesday for Monday! to begin again "Miss Hills came on Monday morning".

I had a dancing lesson at 2.45. Mrs Leigh and Peggy came too and afterwards Peggy and I shopped together and then she walked nearly to here with me, it was a gloriously hot day and we were both in our silly moods and we talked of what we used to do at Minehead.

I met Mrs Walker in Harrods and asked her to come to tea; she didn't come to tea but she came about 6 o'c and stayed and had supper with us at 7.30. We hadn't seen her in a long time, she hasn't been at all well and she had just come up from Bournemouth and she went to Paris on Tuesday.

We went to a Geographical meeting after dinner. It was at the Philharmonic HallLink opens in a new window and Sir Ernest Shackelton [ Shackleton ]Link opens in a new window gave a jolly good lecture on his last South Polar ExpeditionLink opens in a new window. He had a most wonderful film and slides, some of them were quite lovely. There were films of the ship cutting it's way through the ice and of it ice bound and of it finally breaking upLink opens in a new window. It was extraordinary how they took them and how they carried them back because they had to mach nearly 200 miles over the ice and then sail 800 miles in an open boat. Captain RoydsLink opens in a new window spoke afterwards; Daddie was presiding.

Tuesday - things happened as aforesaid. I dined alone with Esther in an awfully pretty little house in Smith Square where she was staying with an Uncle and Aunt.

Uncle Vesey and Uncle Douglas dined here and they were still here when I got back. Uncle Douglas told some very funny stories about the Court but I was nearly asleep. We are going down to Medmenham for Easter.

Yesterday morning I went to Trinity College and in the afternoon had a dancing lesson; Peggy was there too and we went and sat in the Park after.

Daddie went down to Clifton for a meeting of the College Council and stayed the night at Bath.

Mummy went to luncheon with Cousin Nell and to see Wolfie.

Saturday March 27th 1920.

I had a letter from Cousin Gerty on Thursday morning asking me to go to luncheon with her that day as she particularly wanted to see me; I couldn't go as I was lunching with the Kleinworts but I rang her up and she said she would be at home before luncheon. A little later Aunt Di asked me to luncheon that same day on the telephone but of course unluckily I couldn't go.

Shortie and I went out and did one or two things before luncheon and then went on to see Cousin Gerty. She wanted to see me because Lady Northcliffe had written to her to say she was having a thé dansantLink opens in a new window on Wednesday and asking her to come and bring me and saying she would like to ask Princess NinaLink opens in a new window and XeniaLink opens in a new window. Cousin Gerty wanted to go to the country on Tuesday and I knew the Grand Duchess wouldn't at all like Nina and Xenia being asked in Holy Week and I wasn't at all sure that Mummy would like me to go. Mummy rang up Cousin Gerty in the evening and we decided not to go; I wasn't at all sorry.

I went to luncheon with the Kleinworts who were very nice. Mummy fetched me and we went to Marshall to see about my dress for the D. H. Ball; they had nothing actually there but they said they would have two sketches done and send us and they came to-day and are very pretty and I think one with slight alterations will do very well. In Marshall's we met Mrs Fish and Mrs Girdlestone, it was a most extraordinary coincidence because Mrs Fish was only in London for the night.

Miss Hart (a wonderfully energetic old lady of 85 who lives at Kew and is a great friend of the Prain's) Mr and Mrs Ahmed and Mrs Greville came to tea.

I didn't go out at all yesterday morning.

The Reptons who are very old friends of Mummy's had asked us to go to tea there yesterday and said they had asked some young people to meet me. Mummy couldn't go because Daddie was giving a lecture for a Society of Mrs Inge's at the Deanery and the proceedings commenced at 4 o'c, but she took me early to the Repton's, who have got a dear old house in Curzon Street and introduced me to Mr and Mrs Repton who are charming. Then Shortie and I roamed about till 4.30 when I went back there for tea, there were several girls and their Mothers at tea including Phyllis and Aunt Augusta! There are two very nice Repton boys one of whom came to my dance.

Shortie fetched me and Aunt Augusta very kindly took us in her taxi to Chapel Street. Aunt Lil was there but she soon went home because she wanted to rest. Uncle Claude and Aunt Di asked me to stay to dinner which of course I was delighted to do and enjoyed it greatly and they sent me home in a taxi with Read.

This morning Shortie and I sallied forth to hunt for a summer hat for me; we went to a shop in Hanover Square which Aunt Di recommended, to Marshall, to Louise and to Dickens and Jones all with no success, what hats there were were very dull and very dear.

Daddie and I went to call on Sir Dighton ProbynLink opens in a new window at Marlborough HouseLink opens in a new window this afternoon but he had a bad cold and didn't feel very well and wasn't seeing anyone.

I went to tea with the Kleinworts, and we concocted a letter to Hubert asking him to go with us to the Devonshire House Ball.

Alice went with me to see Aunt Di, she and Aunt Lil were sitting in the dining-room because Mummy and Uncle Claude were talking business but when Uncle Claude went to be rubbed we went and sat in the drawing-room for some time. It is too tragic to think that they leave Chapel Street for good on Tuesday. Uncle Claude is fearfully excited because a gentleman has asked him to go down to Herefordshire on Wednesday and fish with him in the Wye.

Palm Sunday March 28th 1920.

Mummy, Daddie and I went to St. Peter's Eaton Square this morning and Mr Austin Thompson the Vicar preached a really wonderful sermon on the theme of Palm Sunday.

Aunt Di and Aunt Lil were going to the Service for the People at St. Martin's this afternoon so I said I would go with them, they met me there at a little after 2.30 and we got very good places in the middle aisle.

The band of the Irish Guards played beautifully. Mr Sheppard was wonderful but he looks so ill, he said a few words and then read St. Matthew's account of the Crucifixion which he said was far better than anything he could say.

Aunt Di and Aunt Lil came back to tea here. Miss Wolff came while I was away and Lady Hardinge came to tea and Mr Crawley who is going with us to the Devonshire House Ball (he was Esther and Betty's partner at my dance), came to ask about his dress.

Yesterday was the day of the Oxford and Cambridge boat race and I am glad to say Cambridge won.

Summertime began last night with the result that we all had an hour less in bed.

Daddie and I went upstairs to see Lady Evelyn MacDonnellLink opens in a new window after tea.

The Services for the People are going to be discontinued from the end of April till the Autumn.

Monday March 29th 1920

I wrote to Mr Sheppard this morning to ask him if he will be able to prepare me for Confirmation.

Miss Hills is coming to-morrow instead of to-day.

I went to Douglas and had an electric treatment for scurf on my head and my hair shampooed and waved. Then we went and met Mummy at her Club and we went on to Marshall to decide about my dress but they kept us waiting some time and we had to leave in a hurry as Mummy and Daddie were lunching with Lord and Lady Bryce who live in this building. Shortie and I went hat hunting again in the afternoon; we went to Kosky, Harvey Nichol and Woolland without success.

Mummy and I went to an "At Home" of Lady De Bunsen's. Helen and Lady Percy were there and the Hardinge's. The Hardinges took Mummy back to see their house in their motor and dropped me at Chapel Street. Poor Chapel Street is beginning to look very sad and untidy. They leave on Wednesday, I do hope I shall see them again before they go; Aunt Di was charming.

Lady Hardinge wanted to take me to a dance tonight. I don't like dancing in Holy Week.

Daddie had a meeting with the Lord Mayor and the President of the Royal Society this morning at the Mansion House to decide what is to be done with the money which they collected by the Captain Scott's Memorial Fund. He has also been having an orgy of R.G.S [ Royal Geographical Society ] terminating in a lecture to-night by a Commander HogarthLink opens in a new window.

I had an invitation to a dance on the 12th this morning from Lady Forester and Lady Boulton and I don't know who they are.

Poor Sir Evan isn't at all well.

Tuesday March 30th 1920.

Miss Hills came this morning and gave me a lesson and afterwards we went off to Marshall and Mummy met us there and I was measured for my fancy dress, I think it will be very pretty, it is going to be blue taffeta with panniers and a soft cream fichu. Mummy bought me a hat too, we didn't like the shape at first but now I have altered it a bit and it is very nice and suits me well; it is black very open work straw with blobs of bright and different coloured straws all over it.

Mrs Melville and Nina are passing through London and they came and fetched me this afternoon and we went to the New Gallery CinemaLink opens in a new window and saw a most hair raising film. Laurie is also passing through London and he came to tea to-day and was most amusing.

I dashed round to say good-bye to Aunt Di late this evening as sad to tell they leave to-morrow. Uncle Claude was being rubbed so I didn't see him but Aunt Di was quite charming; it will be a terrible gap their going, they have been there 4 months though it scarcely seems possible and I have been there four and five times a week

Mr Sheppard's secretary rang up to-day while I was having my music lesson and asked if I could go and see Mr Sheppard on Saturday but alas! that is the day we go to Mednemham, he is going to make another appointment though I hope.

Wednesday March 31st 1920.

I went to Trinity College this morning and had my last lesson this term. Miss Medd-Hall was trying to make my blood run cold with a nightmarey peice. Aunt Madeleine and Laurie met us there with the motor and we went and had luncheon at Gunter in Bond Street. Laurie and I had lemon squashes and they brought us a large jug of real thick cream with our pudding and I had the brilliant idea of putting cream in our lemon squashes (hailed with joy by Laurie) and it was awfully good. We took Laurie to King's Cross (he was going up to stay with friends in Lincolnshire for the holidays) and then we went to the Leicester Galleries to see the exibition of sculpturesLink opens in a new window by Epstein and saw his much discussed statue of "Christ"Link opens in a new window, I thought it was terrible.

Mr Freddy Wallope came to tea and also Nina and Mrs Melville, Alice and Lily were coming but they couldn't come at the last moment.

Mr Sheppard's secretary has written to say he could see me on Wednesday the 7th which I am very glad of.

Thursday April 1st 1920.

Daddie tried to make me an April Fool this morning by sending me a letter through the post addressed in camouflaged handwriting but luckily I recognized the writing! I made an April Fool by letting him get half way downstairs on his way out and then calling him back by telling him Mummy wanted him.

I rang up Tilney Street before we went out to find out where to send Easter eggsLink opens in a new window to the children and got on to Aunt Bobs and she was awfully nice. The children had gone down to Grove Place and she was motoring down this afternoon.

We were to meet Nina at HamleyLink opens in a new window in Oxford Street at 11. o'c but we were ¼ of an hour late. I got eggs for Annie, Joan and Anthony and a soft animal for little Rosemary (Uncle Douglas and Aunt Aimée's adopted little girl). Then we went to Gorringe's and did one or two things and had ices and met Mrs Melville and she and Nina went off at 12.20 and their train up to Lancashire went at 1 o'c so I hope they caught it - or rather managed to get into it. Then we went to Tilney Street and left the eggs. On our return we found Mummy, and to my unbounded surprise, Uncle Claude on the stairs and what surprised me still more and pleased me greatly was the news that Aunt Di was coming to luncheon with Aunt Lil (who was coming any way). They are in a fearful muddle because a gentleman had asked Uncle Claude to go down with him on Tuesday and fish on the Wye but the Wye promptly rose 4 feet and will be no good for fishing unless it goes down and now they are sort of hanging on by their eye lashes waiting to hear when it goes down. Meanwhile Aunt Di was going to stay with a friend near Newmarket who they had both been going to stay with before the fishing cropped up but she can't leave Uncle Claude alone at Ashstead (Chapel Street was up to-day) and Uncle Claude can't go to Newmarket because it is too far to go from there to the Wye. So at luncheon to-day Aunt Di didn't know whether she would be at Ashstead or Newmarket this evening and whether Uncle Claude would be on the Wye or at Ashstead.

We went to Marshall this afternoon and I bought a very pretty white voile blouse with a raised white stripe in it for 15 bob.

Aunt Madeleine came to tea and Alice came after ten and was awfully nice and when she left took us in her carriage to Aunt Augusta's house. Aunt Augusta was very amusing but poor Phyllis was in bed with a touch of 'flue.

Uncle Leslie has been made Assisstant Adjuctant [ Assistant Adjutant ] General at Simla.

Good Friday, April 2nd 1920.

Mummy and I went to the three hours service at St. Martin's, it was to have been taken by Canon LyttletonLink opens in a new window but he was taken ill with influenza so Mr Palmer the new curate took it. He did it very well indeed.

Alice and Lily came to tea with me.

Daddie went to tea with an old friend of his, a Doctor Beatty CrozierLink opens in a new window and Mummy went to tea with Lady Chesterfield.

Aunt Di rang me up last night from Ashtead and Uncle Claude is going to the Wye for certain to-morrow and she is going to Chippenham ParkLink opens in a new window near Newmarket.

We are going down to Medmenham to-morrow to stay with Uncle Douglas and Aunt Aimée.

Easter Sunday April 4th 1920.

Medmenham Abbey, MarlowLink opens in a new window.

We arrived here yesterday in time for a late tea after a very comfortable journey.

This is a most charming old house; it was first the Monastery and Abbey of St. Mary's and the Hell Fire Club! it is a long low rambling house partly of chalk, partly of stone and partly of delightful little red bricks with black oak beams, the inside is modern but it has all been done in keeping with the outside. It is right on the river which of course makes it damp and cold but is very nice. There is a delightful clipped yew garden outside my window and Aunt Aimée has a lovely rock garden which Sir Frank CrispLink opens in a new window had made for her with rocks from Derbyshire and there are masses of daffodils growing in the grass.

There is no one else staying here except Aunt Aimée's brother who was wounded in the War and is still lame and I think practically lives here. Aunt Aimée and Uncle DouglasLink opens in a new window are very kind. I hadn't seen Aunt Aimée for years and years; I think I like her very much but I always take a long time to make up my mind about people.

The country is so lovely.

Monday April 5th 1920.

Rosemary is a perfect darling, she is 16 months old and has big blue eyes and curly light brown hair and she is most intelligent, when she sees Uncle Vesey or you say "where's Uncle Vesey" she immediately begins to rub her hands together which is a trick Uncle Vesey has and if you say "where's Rosemary's tummy" she pats her front and beams. When tea is being cleared away she pulls off the table clothe and hands it to the butler.

We went to Church yesterday morning. They had masses of lovely flowers all over the Church. In the afternoon we went for a most beautiful walk through the woods and saw primroses and violets and bluebells and cowslips and anemones and picked some to take back to London. The country is lovely in the Spring.

Cousin Maud, Cousin Roderick and Margaret came over for tea.

It rained nearly all the time this morning but it was fine in the afternoon and we went to see Lord Devonport'sLink opens in a new window Rock garden which is glorious. It is made on the side of very steep and high chalk cliffs by the river; of course they had to bring stones to make it of because the plants wouldn't grow in the chalk but it looks quite natural and now lovely covered with huge clumps of aubretia and heath and smaller clumps of a great many other things.

We actually saw Lilac and Azealas in flower. There were also masses and masses of daffodils, primroses and violets in the grass and the whole thing was lovely. It is a very big rock garden and stretches along a long way by the side of the River.

I have written to Aunt Di and Cousin Gerty since I have been here.

Tuesday April 6th 1920.

Aunt Aimée and I sat up till midnight last night doing a jig-saw puzzle and then creept up to bed in the dark (everyone else had gone to bed long ago). I have quite definitely decided that I like Aunt Aimée very much indeed.

We didn't see Uncle Douglas and Uncle Vesey after yesterday evening because they went up to London early in the morning. Uncle Douglas has some very amusing stories about all his Court things.

Aunt Aimée and I weeded and picked flowers for us to take to London and played with Rosemary this morning and at a little after 12 o'c we left in a motor for GyldenscroftLink opens in a new window (Daddie walked over). I was very sorry to leave Medmenham, we had a ripping time there and they were so kind.

We had luncheon at Gyldenscroft and Cousin Maud and Cousin Roderick were very kind. Desmond Flower had arrived there from Eaton [ Eton ] for the holidays and Margaret appeared in full war paint in a girl guide uniform. We left Marlow at 2.50 and arrived at Paddington at 4.10 after a very comfortable and uncrowded journey.

Aunt Aimée gave me a note at breakfast this morning with just Eileen written on it, I couldn't make out who it was from but I didn't open it and she took it away and gave it to me again later when I was alone with her. It was a letter from Aunt Bobs which she had sent in a letter to Uncle Vesey. She sent me three pounds for a Easter egg and wrote me a most sweet letter saying I was not to trouble about things and that they would always love to see me and a good deal more. I wrote her a long letter this evening. Oh! how I hope this isn't going to be the same nightmare as Peggy all over again.

Wednesday April 7th 1920.

I went to see Mr SheppardLink opens in a new window this morning and he was altogether charming and sympathetic and understanding, he asked if anything was worrying me so I told him about Aunt Bobs and asked his advice about it and he said he didn't think I ought to give up going to see her and just to go on and if things get bad to tell him and he will see if he can help me. He says he will write to Mummy and ask her to go and see him and he will see me twice more this month and then he thinks after that I had better be confirmed. He says he doesn't believe at all in classes because they are usually dry and they choke off girls terribly and it is not dogma but the life that matters. He is a wonderful person, he makes you feel altogether better somehow. I wish there were more people like him in the world.

Charlie came back from Wellington to-day and I rang him up and he is going with us to the Tower to-morrow and I am taking him to a matinée on Saturday. It is his 17th birthday to-day. Poor Phyllis has got 'flue rather badly and Charlie isn't allowed to see her.

Thursday April 8th 1920.

We went to Marshalls yesterday afternoon and I had my dress for the Devonshire House Ball tried on, it will be awfully pretty. We went on to see Wolfie who was very pleased to see us.

Uncle Vesey came to dinner and was very cheerful and told us several very amusing "Uncle Vesey stories".

I took a party to the Tower this morning to be shown over by Uncle Jack. The party consisted of Aunt Lil, a Mrs Langley and her little girl Allison who are staying with her, Colonel Benet and Charlie. Uncle Jack took us nearly all over the Tower and told us a great dealLink opens in a new window and was fearfully interesting about it. Charlie was very anxious to ask him about Simon Fraser the wicked Lord LovatLink opens in a new window who is supposed to be buried in the Tower and has also got a grave at Kirkhill in Inverness-shire. Uncle Jack says that he is really buried in the Church of St Peter in the Tower but that they buried another man's body in Scotland to pacify the Scots.

We all (except Charlie) went back to luncheon with Aunt Lil and then Aunt Lil, Mrs Langley, Allison and I went to the ColiseumLink opens in a new window. It was a very good variety entertainment and a charming and very fantastic playlet by Barrie called "The Truth about the Russian Dancers"Link opens in a new window in which KarsavinaLink opens in a new window danced quite wonderfully. We didn't get out til 5.45; Shortie met me and brought me home.

Poor Mummy didn't feel very well to-day and has rheumatism in one of her arms so Sir John BroadbentLink opens in a new window came to see her this evening and he says she must wear it in a sling.

I had a letter from Aunt Kathleen from Calcutta to-day, she seems very glad to be going to Simla. I also had a letter from Aunt Di yesterday (forwarded from Medmenham) and another this evening, she is splendid about writing letters. She goes home to-day.

Friday April 9th 1920.

Aunt Di rang up last night and I talked to her for a long time and then talked to Uncle Claude. They both got home yesterday; poor Uncle Claude had very bad luck and didn't catch anything because the river was very muddy. Aunt Di seems to have enjoyed herself but she had bad weather.

Mummy stayed in bed all day to-day.

Shortie and I went to the Public Library this morning to try and get and edition of "Barnaby Rudge"Link opens in a new window illustrated by "Phiz" to see a picture of Dolly VardenLink opens in a new window who I am going to the Devonshire House Ball as. But all the "Barnaby Rudges" were out. We went from there to leave a message for Cousin Tottie who was in London for the night, then to the Stores and then home. In the afternoon Shortie and I went to Clarkson'sLink opens in a new window the theatrical shop to ask about wigs for the D.H. Ball, it isn't settled yet whether I am to have a wig or not.

I went to tea with the Kleinworts who are happy again because they have got enough men for the much talked of D.H. Ball. Daisy who is Lily's twin is back from the sea-side, she is a very nice little thing.

Cousin Tottie and Val came to see Mummy while I was out.

I had a letter from Anne this morning thanking me for the eggs I sent them at Easter.

Miss Hills was coming this morning but she sent a post card to say she couldn't come.

I have written a long letter to Aunt Vallie.

Saturday April 10th 1920.

Shortie and I went to leave some egg boxes for Cousin Tottie this morning and they came back here and picked up Mummy and went to Douglas to see if they could do my hair for the D.H. Ball then to Marshall to order a mob capLink opens in a new window to put on my head (I suppose that's what one usually does with mob or other caps!). Then Mummy bought some staffs for cushions and things and we came home.

I took Charlie to "Mr Pim Passes By"Link opens in a new window at the Garrick Theatre this afternoon. A most amusing play by A. A. Milne who writes in "Punch"; it was quite extraordinarily funny and being a small caste was very well acted. Irene Vanburgh [ Vanbrugh ]Link opens in a new window, Dion BoucicaultLink opens in a new window and Ben WebsterLink opens in a new window were in it.

Charlie came back to tea here. He is a most delightful person. Poor Phyllis is better.

I had a letter from the angelic Wolfie this morning asking if she could give me mittens or stockings for the Ball.

Mummy's arm is still bad and in a sling.

Sunday April 11th 1920.

Daddie and I went to St. Peter's this morning. The singing was very fine and a clergyman whose name I don't know preached a very good sermon.

Shortie and I went to the Service for the People at St. Martin's this afternoon and by getting there an hour before the service began got very good seats.

While we were waiting I was looking through the English Hymnal which they use there and I found a perfectly beautiful hymn - one of the most beautiful I have ever seen - which begins - "There were ninety and nine who in safety lay in the shelter of the fold"Link opens in a new window. I learnt as much as I could of it by heart.

How altogether different and full of life a service at St. Martin's is! The band of the Welsh Guards played and Mr Sheppard preached a beautiful sermon on "Home". He said he had had a letter from a mother in South Africa saying she knew her boy went to these services and she had written and written to him and for two years she had had no answer and it was breaking her heart. Mr Sheppard told him if he was there to go straight home and write her the longest letter he had ever written in his life. I hope he heard and that he did it!

We came home and had tea and then went back for the evening service. I hadn't been in the evening for a long time. Mr Sheppard preached on "Why should it be thought a thing incredible with you that God should raise the dead?" He was very, very good but not so good as in the afternoon.

Mummy has stayed in bed all day as her arm is still rather bad I am sorry to say but I think the rest will do her good.

Monday April 12th 1920.

Mummy had a letter from Lady Hardinge this morning saying that a girl who lives near them in the country is very anxious to go to the Devonshire House Ball on Wednesday and might she go with us. The girl is Alannah HarperLink opens in a new window who I used to swop pencils with in the days of my giddy youth at Miss Wolff's. Mummy rang up Mrs Harper and said we should be delighted and Mrs Harper was delighted and everyone was delighted all round.

We went to Marshall this morning for me to be fitted. My dress is going to be perfectly charming, it is a deep sky blue taffeta (only with no green in it); the skirt comes right down to my feet and there are panniers on each side and then a bodice which makes a point in front, and a long fichu of chiffon edged with little frills, which comes right down and goes round the waist and ties in a loop at the back. They are going to put little rose braids on the panniers and make them and the skirt stick out a little more and make a little apron in front.

Mummy went to see Mr Sheppard this afternoon about my confirmation. She says he was quite charming and he will see me again on Thursday and he also said he would see me three or four times more which is awfully good of him as he told me he would see me twice more.

Shortie and I went out and did various things this afternoon. We went to the S.P.C.K where I bought a "Church Hymns" (the one they use at St. Martin's) with music. Then to Douglas to arrange with Miss Bruce about doing my hair for the Ball, then to Days Library where I got a book called "Prelude"Link opens in a new window which is supposed to be a very wonderful story of school life and not being able to get for Mummy any of the books that she had asked for I brought her the Life of Francis Paget Bishop of OxfordLink opens in a new window. From there we went to see Wolfie but she was away at Oxford till this evening. So then we came home and on the way bought a furry rabbit for Anthony whose first birthday it is to-morrow.

Lady Emma rang up after tea to say they had just got up to London and would we go down and see them so we went down. She was very amusing but didn't seem at all well.

Daddie has gone off to a discussion of the Aristotelian Society.

Shortie is very excited because the Murrays are coming to London, I think this week.

Tuesday April 13th 1920.

Wolfie came to see us soon after breakfast this morning and brought some beautiful old lace mittensLink opens in a new window for me to wear tomorrow night and gave me a £1 note to help with my shoes.

Shortie and I went out to do various things. We went first to Tilney Street (they came back yesterday) to leave a present for Anthony. Anne went wild with joy when she saw me and Joan showed more dignified signs of pleasure. Aunt Bobs was sweet and so kind. Anthony was asleep so we weren't able to see him. We went on into Oxford Street and tried at numerous shops to get some blue shoes to match my dress and then came home for luncheon. Lady Emma came to luncheon and was very funny. We went out after luncheon and did one or two little things at Gorringe and then went on to the Stores to see if they had the shoes; they had none the right blue but they had some very pretty silver ones and so we got a pair of them.

After tea Daddie and I went to the Horticultural Show, it was an awfully good one - masses of lovely daffodils and carnations and rhododendrons and alpine plants. We met Aunt Bobs there. Daddie is dining at the Alpine ClubLink opens in a new window to-night.

Alice rang up before dinner to say they have got an extra man. I told poor Lily an extraordinary yarn which I invented on the spur of the moment of how we all stood in a row in front of the Duchess of Albany holding hands and curteseyed and bowed and I am sorry to say she believed me till I dis-illusioned her.

Mummy is very unhappy to-day because Adelaine Duchess of BedfordLink opens in a new window has just died. She was a great friend of hers.

Lilac has re-appeared at last and has asked me to luncheon on Thursday.

I am sorry to say - as is so often the case - the tune to my beautiful hymn isn't at all thrilling and I can't find another that fits it really well.

Thursday April 15th 1920.

We went up to Marshall's yesterday morning for the final try on of my dress. In the afternoon we to Douglas and Miss Bruce did my hair beautifully, I had bunches of curls (not my own) at the sides and a big, high sort of coil behind. When we got back here we found Wolfie but unfortunately she couldn't wait to see me dressed. I dressed as soon as she had left. My dress really was most awfully pretty, something like this -

the fichu and the apron and the frills at the sleeves were made of chiffon with rows of little frills.

Aunt Lil and little Anne and Cousin Gerty came to see me dressed and Mrs Pemberton and her little girl too. They were awfully pleased with it. We dashed off to SwaineLink opens in a new window the photographer when they had gone (complimentary sitting) and he photographed me in about ½ dozen different positions, with the result that I was late for dinner at the Kleinworts.

Eileen Younghusband in her dress for the Devonshire House Ball

My partner Mr Crawley, was there at dinner and Alice, Lily and Daisy's partners of whom Hubert was one. Alice, Daisy and Lily looked awfully nice, their dresses were blue and pink. Alannah Harper and Daddie (in the former's motor) came at 9 o'c, Mr Crawley and I went with them and the two other motors followed after, there was a double queue nearly the whole way along Picadilly [ Piccadilly ] and it took us an hour and a half to get to Devonshire House. When we got up into the ball-room it was so full that one could scarcely stand but I think they opened other rooms later, anyway it got better. It was a wonderful sight and it made a very pretty effect having all the dresses of the same date and the men had taken great trouble with their clothes too. Lady Diana Duff-CooperLink opens in a new window was there in a wonderful and enormous red dress which stuck out about 5 yards on each side and another of the "sights" was a Miss GellibrandLink opens in a new window who is supposed to be lovely who had on a wig which reached nearly to the ceiling and a bird of paradise on top of it. Peggy and Mrs Leigh and "Uncle Duddy" were there and Helen and Phyllis Porteous and Princess Nina and Miss Maryon Wilson and Berta Michell and Colonel Gabriel and the Duke and Duchess of Somerset and Mr Franks and Lady Northcliffe and Miss Douglas-PennantLink opens in a new window and Christian and Margaret Guthrie.

Peggy and I sat out several dances together and had a good talk. There was a very good supper.

We stayed till the bitter end which came and three o'clock with a glorious mad gallop. It took us well over half an hour to find our motor.

I was rather disappointed in Devonshire HouseLink opens in a new window except for the staircases.

I didn't wake up till a quarter to eleven and I was going to see Mr Sheppard at 12 o'c! I got there in time and he was perfectly charming and he asked again about Aunt Bobs, I told him that Mummy had said yesterday that she didn't want me to accept any invitations from her for the present and she would tell me why later. He asked me not to go there or do anything for a week but if she writes and asks me to go there to show the letter to Mummy and ask her if I can go. He says if things come to a crisze (thats the nearest I can get!) to ask Mummy to go and see him about it and he will talk it over with her. He says he thinks helping me out of difficulties like this is far better than teaching me theology. He went through the catachism with me and explained the spirit of it and we discussed the Prayer Book and the alterations it needs.

He will see me again on Wednesday at 5.30.

Friday April 16th 1920.

I went on to luncheon with Lilac who was just as nice as ever. On our way home we went to leave a note from Mummy for the Murrays who have arrived in London. We also went to a very nice little hat shop by South Kensington Station called Marquise where I tried on nearly every hat in the shop and finally ordered one to be made for me the same shape as one I tried on only in a different straw and colour.

Daddie went to Bristol yesterday for a dinner of the Merchant VenturersLink opens in a new window and Haig was being given the Freedom of the CityLink opens in a new window. Daddie went on to sleep at Bath, and he telephoned to-day to say he isn't coming back till Sunday.

Mummy didn't get home till 7.30.

Poor Mr Lucas died yesterday or the day before, he had been ill for some time and had to have a very bad operation. It is terrible for her being left with so many children.

Miss Hills came this morning and struggled hard with my time.

Cousin Ruth came to call in the afternoon, she is just back from the Riviera. Mrs and Miss Egerton Grey also came to call (they are friends of Aunt Di's and Miss Grey and two brothers came to my dance) they are very nice people.

Mummy was out and when they had gone I went on to meet her at tea at Mrs Charles Stanhope's in Queens Gate. She is most amusing and her daughter Doria is a nice girl. Enid Stanhope and her brother were also there. We went on to call on Lady Chesterfield who is over 90 and a dear.

Tuesday April 20th 1920.

Soon after I had written this diary on Friday evening Aunt Di rang up and asked me to go down there for the week-end at which I was over-joyed.

Mummy went early on Saturday morning to a Memorial Service for Adelaide Duchess of Bedford.

Shortie took me down to Epsom by train arriving at 11.50 and Uncle Claude met me at the station in the motor which has just been re-painted and looks very nice - Aunt Di had just got down, when we arrived, she has been kept in bed by a cold. Mr RalliLink opens in a new window came in before luncheon and in the afternoon we went over the wild garden with him; it was lovely, masses of grape hycinths and tulips and pyrus and cherry and misty blue anemones and polyanthus and azaleas just beginning. Mr and Mrs Ralli came to tea. The park was looking lovely, all the trees were just out and a wonderful green. Uncle Claude's rock wall was covered with gentian and aubretias and pholx and forget-me-nots and daphne.

I took Timmy out for a walk on Sunday morning and had great difficulty in extracting him from rabbit holes. Uncle Claude and I went up to the wild garden in the afternoon and in the evening I went to Church (the first time I have ever been to Church alone); it was a very nice service with a good deal of singing and a very good sermon on "Fellowship" from the curate who Aunt Di thinks so much of.

I was supposed to come up yesterday but I didn't want to leave early with Uncle Claude and Aunt Di thought she might find someone who was going up in the afternoon, however no one was forthcoming so I stayed till this morning.

I took Timmy out for a walk yesterday morning and we read most of the afternoon. Uncle Claude came back about 6.30 and Aunt Di went to bed soon after because her cold was worse.

I told Mummy on the telephone on Sunday night that I was going out Shopping with Peggy this morning; yesterday evening Shortie rang up to say Mummy thought I had better not go as I should be up too late (I shouldn't) and should be tired and she didn't want me to go out alone with Peggy, I had to go this morning to fetch my new hat away from South Kensington so I asked Shortie to tell Mummy (who was at a Geographical meeting) that Peggy could go with us. I went upstairs and told Aunt Di all this, she sided throughly with me and we discussed the question from a good many points of view; and other things to till nearly midnight.

I came up with Uncle Claude this morning and Shortie met me at Waterloo at 10 o'c.

Wednesday April 21st 1920.

Shortie said that it was alright about Peggy and we came home. Peggy was to meet me here at 11 o'c but she hadn't appeared at 11.30 so I rang up Mrs Leigh who was very nice indeed but said she must have made a mistake in the day as she had gone out with another girl. I was very angry. Shortie and I went off to the hat shop and got my hat which I think is very pretty, it is silver grey sort of canvas with big red and yellow cherries on it.

Mr "Eddy" Stanhope came to luncheon. Lilac came to tea and was awfully nice.

Shortie and I went to a service at St. Martin's yesterday evening at which Mr Sheppard preached on "A Live Church", he was wonderfully good but I'm afraid many people wouldn't agree with him. He said he found it more and more difficult to use the services for Baptism and Marriage, they were so cold and gave such a wrong impression to people who seldom came to Church. He said he was very tired of people who advocated mere heartiness in church services and cinamatographs and things of that sort and that there ought to be much more friendliness between parish and parish. He said we must work very hard for re-union with Non-Conformists (and with Rome and the Eastern Church) and as they had conceded Episcopacy to us he thought the least we could give them was the Establishment and he thought that we ought to admit all those who were trying to follow our Lord but who didn't believe all the doctrines of the Church to all the privilages of membership. What a pity more people don't agree with him in these things.

Mummy, Shortie and I went to Septimus this morning to look for a frock for me for the Maryon-Wilson's dance to-morrow night and for a small dance Lord Leigh is giving for Peggy on Saturday night. We finally chose a very pretty pale pink satin with tulle over it and wide bands of ruching of ribbon. I am sorry to say it is 18½ guineas but it was 24.

I have been to see Mr Sheppard this evening but it is too late to write any more to-night.

Thursday April 22nd 1920.

We went to the wedding of Lady Dorothy CavendishLink opens in a new window with Mr Harold MacmillanLink opens in a new window at St. Margaret's Westminster yesterday. The Church was very full and it was a lovely service. The bridesmaids and pages were sweet, I don't think any of them were more than 8 years old and they were dressed in long blue frocks (the boys in tunics) of wedge-wood [ Wedgwood ] blue and silver and wreathes of purple fruit in their hair and they each carried a Madonna Lily with silver leaves.

There was a reception after at Lansdowne House to which we went and being lucky in getting a taxi when we came out of the Church we were some of the first to arrive with the horrible result that we were engulfed in a crowd of Royalties who one fell over at every turn. There was Queen Alexandria [ Alexandra ], Prince Albert, Princess Christian, Princess Louise and the Duchess of Albany. It became fearfully crowded after a bit and one could scarcely move. We saw masses of people we knew including Lady Sligo, Mr Egerton CastleLink opens in a new window and Miss Egerton Castle, Lord and Lady JellicoeLink opens in a new window, Mr Sheppard, Sir Bernard and Lady Mallet, Anne Keppel, Mrs Goldman and Mr, Lady Jersey and Lord Frederic [ Frederick ] Hamilton and heaps of people Mummy and Daddie knew whose names I have forgotten. Lord Frederic HamiltonLink opens in a new window is the most amusing person, he is the author of "The Vanished Pomps of Yesterday"Link opens in a new window and he told us he is just finishing another book. Mummy enjoyed herself throughly. As we were coming in here on our way home Uncle Vesey passed by so we brought him in to tea. I went off directly after to see Mr Sheppard at 5.30, he was charming and very amusing. I took a list of some of the sayings of our Lord that I wanted to ask him about and he was most helpful and when he wasn't sure about anything he said quite candidly "I don't know what that means" instead of trying to give me an unsatisfactory explanation. He says he thinks backbiting is one of the worst sins and it may be much worse for a person to say something horrid about another person than for someone else who has inherited the sin to get drunk. He says after all he saw in France he is a pacifist and he had rather wonderful views on War and the League of Nations, he said if when the Germans invaded Belgium all the parsons had gone and stood in front of the German lines and said "you shall not come on" they would have been mown down but the world would never have forgotten it. And about the League of Nations he says we cannot keep our huge Navy and all our dominions and yet belong to the League; one great nation must dis-arm first and even though they are wiped out of existence by an enemy they will have done one of the most glorious things in all the history of the world. All these things are very glorious and very true though they nearly took my breath away at first. I am afraid they would make a great many people very angry but then people do dislike things which upset their old ideas.

I must begin to dress for the dance now.

Friday April 23rd 1920.

Mummy and Daddie went to the Memorial Service for Mr Lucas yesterday and brought Lady Wylie back to luncheon.

I went to Douglas to have my hair dressed for the dance.

We had an awfully nice little dinner party, Helen and Mr Goschen (her partner) and Miss Buxton and Mr Trower (my partner) dined here. Helen was dreadfully funny, she played the piano and sang after dinner and very nearly gave me hysterics. Daddie and Helen and I and our partners started off for the dance just before 10 o'c. It was at 17 Bruton StreetLink opens in a new window and was a jolly good dance; a very good floor and band and about 100 couples including a good many people who I just knew but none I knew well. My partner (who is a friend of Phyllis'es) was very nice and a jolly good dancer; I danced every dance except two and enjoyed it very much though my feet nearly fell off by the end of the evening. We stayed to the end which came at three with a glorious mad gallop to the tune of "Do Ye Ken John Peel?!"Link opens in a new window I didn't wake properly till 11.45 this morning.

I went to luncheon with Cousin Gertie who was very nice and Aunt Violet was there too, I was so glad to see her again.

Mr Cobb came back from India 10 days ago and he came to tea this afternoon very pleased to see us and it was awfully nice to see him.

Mr WiltonLink opens in a new window has sent me a most ripping present - all the modern stamps of Poland mounted in a loose leaf book and with a typewritten description with each set of stamps of why they were issued; it is awfully interesting. I have written to Mr Wilton to-day.

I had a perfectly charming letter from Mr Sheppard to-day.

Sunday April 25th 1920.

Yesterday morning I went to Douglas to have my hair dressed.

I had a most joyful surprise before we went out, Kathleen rang up to say they arrived back on Friday night; I didn't think they were coming back till the autumn so I was very pleased when she rang up.

Lily called for me at 4 o'c and we went to Lady Helena Acland Hood's thé dansant which Esther had invited me to. We had two partners meeting us there (mine was a nice young Mr Enthoven who Alice brought to my dance and who knew Laurie at Clifton) and it was quite good fun. We left at 6 o'c because I wanted to get home and rest before Peggy's dance in the evening.

Mummy and Daddie went down to Twickenham to see Sir Evan who is much better.

When I got back Shortie told me that Robert Gunning (who was going with me in the evening) had rung up to say his dress clothes had got left behind coming up from the country and he didn't know what he was going to do but he would come round to see me immediately. So he duly appeared very worried and I rang up that most kind and helpful person Mrs Leigh who said she was sure Mr Leigh could lend him something so we sent him round there and they rigged him out.

We dined at the Ritz. Lord Leigh called for me in a motor and took me there. The party consisted of Peggy, Mary Egerton, Jean Hamilton (who I don't know), a Captain Gardiner and another gentleman and Robert.

Monday April 26th 1920.

We had a jolly good dinner and then went on to the dance which was at Lord Leigh's house in Grosvenor Square. Berta Mitchell was there and Marie Ella Douglas-Pennant and Julia Davis (the American Ambassador'sLink opens in a new window daughter) and several men I knew slightly, there were about 20 couples altogether and I enjoyed it most throughly. I danced every dance and all the men were very nice and danced very well and Mrs Leigh was charming. Daddie fetched me and we left soon after midnight.

Yesterday morning Daddie and I went to St. Martin's. Mr Sheppard appealed for the Vicar's General Fund and preached a beautiful sermon mostly about our Lord and how He was always calm and dignified and always had time for everyone and how angry He was with people who hurt others and how He loved the people and how sinners loved Him and how they dislike modern religious people. We met Esther coming away and her cousin Anne Bevan (such a nice girl) who she is staying with, they are coming to luncheon on Thursday.

Shortie and I went to the Service for the People in the afternoon. Alas! the last one for some time because they are closing for the summer on account of the heat and the difficulty of getting the band in the summer. The Church was packed half an hour before the Service started. Mr Sheppard told several very funny stories but always to illustrate some point and he was quite splendid. He didn't speak about any one thing in particular but shortly on several things.

Mrs Howard Marsh a friend of Mummy's and her sister Miss Dalrymple Hay who is the Secretary of the Navy LeagueLink opens in a new window came to tea. Poor Aunt Augusta came in for a few minutes rather fussed with all the arrangements because she leaves for France to join Phyllis and Charlie there to-morrow. Miss Hay (Miss Stanhope's sister) also called; it was a very odd coincidence that there should have been another Miss Hay who was no relation here.

Mr Cobb came to dinner and was most fearfully amusing.

Kathleen came to luncheon to-day very full of all they had been doing out there. We screamed with laughter and made a dreadful noise.

Mrs Murray called in the afternoon I like her very much.

I went to tea with the Kleinworts who were very full of Diana's wedding to-morrow. I went on to Doria StanhopeLink opens in a new window who had a few girls to tea and we played various rather noisy card games.

Shortie went to see her beloved Mrs Mac Clennan.

Mr Sheppard can't see me till Friday at 11.30 this week and alack and alas! I'm afraid that will be the last time.

Wednesday April 28th 1920.

We went to Diana's wedding to her cousin John Robson at St. Peter's Eaton Square yesterday afternoon. It was such a pretty wedding and Diana looked so pretty, she is a dear little thing. We went on afterwards to their house in Eaton Square. Alice was one of the bridemaids and she looked so nice, Lily was there and Daisy and Aunt Lil and Lilac and Mr and Mrs Porteous and several other people we knew.

Daddie and I tore on afterwards to the Flower Show which was lovely - large quantities of roses including a beautiful new one called "Padre". When we got back here we found Laurie who has come to stay for three nights on his way back to Clifton and I took him to tea with Aunt Lil who had Mrs Gray and two sons there and Mrs Peter Ralli and her daughter.

We played Coon CanLink opens in a new window after dinner.

Mummy had a charming letter from Mr Sheppard in the evening, he is going to arrange for me to be confirmed at St. Paul's on May 15th. He also sent me a book about the Old Testament which he told me he was going to get for me.

Laurie and I have been wandering about London this morning. We went to the Aldwych Theatre to get tickets for a play tonight then we wandered about a bit and then went to Lyons in Oxford Street and had ice cream sodas and bought sweets to eat this evening.

Aunt Lil came to luncheon, she is such a dear.

Friday April 30th 1920.

Daddie gave a lecture to the Royal Society of Literature on Wednesday afternoon on "Culture as the Basis of Empire". It was very good indeed; Sir Henry was in the chair and he spoke too. Lady Barrington was there and most amusing.

Laurie and I went to a jolly good play called "The Young Person in Pink", it was about a girl who lost her memory and screamingly funny. There was a very good caste including Joyce CareyLink opens in a new window ("The Young Person in Pink), Sydney FairbrotherLink opens in a new window, Ellis JefferysLink opens in a new window and Donald CalthorpLink opens in a new window.

Scenes from The Young Person in Pink

Saturday May 1st 1920.

Laurie went out to have his hair cut and various other things on Thursday morning so I didn't go out. Esther came to luncheon, she seemed to have had a very nice week in London which I am glad of. Kathleen came round here soon after 3 o'c and we went to a cinema (Laurie, she and I) which lasted from 3.30 till 6 o'c, there were some quite good funny things and the un-funny ones weren't quite as depressing as usual. We went back to tea with Kathleen.

Miss Selfe who used to do typeing for Mummy came in the evening to do some more for her and stayed to dinner, she is very nice. Sir Harry Creighton also came to dinner and was most cheerful.

Miss Hills came yesterday morning and gave me a short lesson and then I went off to see Mr Sheppard at 11.30. He was most awfully and kind; he talked about the sacraments this time but there was so much he wanted to say that he couldn't get it all in because someone else was waiting to see him. He says he thinks all things are sacraments - the sky, the clouds, everything. He thinks books of self-examination are the most dreadful things and make people think much too much about themselves besides it's no good thinking about all the bad things we have done in the past we have got to think about all the good things we are going to do in the future. He also said he never prays for himself. He thinks the doctrine of Transubstantiation absolutely revolting. He thinks anyone who is a Christian has the power to absolve and give the Holy Communion and baptize. He is going away to the country on Tuesday and only going to be in London on Sundays because the doctor says his heart is bad. He is going to see me on Monday at 12.15 which is most awfully good of him.

Laurie came back for luncheon and went off by the 2.45. I quite missed him when he had gone, he is such a nice cheerful young monkey.

We went to the private view of the Royal AcademyLink opens in a new window in the afternoon. We got there rather late which was better for seeing the pictures because it was emptier but it is very amusing seeing the people. I think the general verdict is that it is better than usual this year; there are several Orpen's of the Peace ConferenceLink opens in a new window, some very pretty little ClausensLink opens in a new window, a good many Arnesby BrownsLink opens in a new window, a large and weird Walter BayesLink opens in a new window, several splendid horses by MunningsLink opens in a new window, an extraordinarily clever portrait called "Mr Minney"Link opens in a new window by I forget who, and a big picture by Frank SalisburyLink opens in a new window of the King and Queen, the Archbishop of Canterbury, the Bishop of London, the Gloomy Dean etc standing on the steps of St. Paul's after the thanksgiving service for peace in July last year. We had an extra tickets which we gave to Wolfie who enjoyed it very much as she loves pictures. We met Miss Willmott there and asked her to come to dinner with us to meet Dean Inge and Mrs Inge so we had quite a little party, Mrs Inge was delightful. Lady Evelyn came down after dinner to see them because she is a great admirer of the Dean's and very fond of Mrs Inge.

I went to luncheon with Aunt Lil to-day and enjoyed it very much. Daddie fetched me and we went down to Twickenham to see Sir Evan James, Mummy went down separately but by an odd chance she got into the same train that we did so we met her at Richmond Station. Sir Evan seemed quite well and cheerful; a very nice neice Miss James who lives with him was there; she gave us masses of lovely flowers when we came away, they are such a joy.

There has been a great Labour demonstrationLink opens in a new window in Hyde Park to-day and all trades except the absolutely necessary ones like transport and the post office have stopped work for the day it being May Day.

I am rapidly becoming a Socialist - knowing nothing about it!

Sunday May 2nd 1920.

Daddie and I went to St. Martin's this morning and Mr Barry the head of the Ex-Service Ordination Test Schools at Knutsford preached a very good sermon in which he said it was high time a Church which stood for love and fellowship ceased to employ sweated labour (under paid clergy) which would not be tolerated in any business firm.

We went to luncheon with Lady BatterseaLink opens in a new window who was awfully nice and kind. Mummy and I went to see the Leighs when we left her. I saw dear old Peggy for quite a long time alone in her sitting-room and then another girl came in.

Mummy, Shortie and I went to St. Martin's for the evening service; Mr Sheppard preached a beautiful sermon in which he said he thought that no man could be away from God for very long that He is always drawing us to Him. That no one can say what the call is to some one else. That we have mostly got to stay in our own jobs and follow Him there. The world is neither light nor dark now, it has neither accepted God nor rejected Him but we are in the twilight and we have got to make it the twilight before the morning. His watch stopped and he couldn't see the time so he quite forgot to stop (as he said afterwards) which I for one was very glad of.

Mr Martin ShawLink opens in a new window the Master of the Music held a short congregational singing practise after the service which was awfully nice.

Alas! I go to see Mr Sheppard for the last time to-morrow.

Monday May 3rd 1920.

I went to see Mr Sheppard at 12.15 this morning, he was quite charming but he had a bad cold and he is worn out. He was so tired that he almost couldn't remember what he was saying but all the same he was most helpful and so kind. He went through the Holy Communion Service with me and explained it; he says not to do a week's preparation before hand but to think about it every now and then and not necessarily to fast but to do whatever I think right about that. I asked him about hell and he says he most certainly doesn't believe in hell but we may by our own actions make a hell for ourselves. He is absolutely certain that people who are Christians in their deeds though they in this world apparently reject Christ are absolutely safe. He thinks self-righteous people will get a nasty shock one day but we agreed that no one could be smug the whole way through. He says that it is often better to tell a white lie where the truth would hurt people and he says he would always tell a white lie where the truth would make any one terribly unhappy and no principle was involved and he would gladly pay the price where only he was in the wrong. He was so wonderfully kind and he said I was to go to him if ever he could be of the slightest help.

Tuesday May 4th 1920.

I went on from Mr Sheppard to have luncheon with the Kleinworts we went into the Square garden afterwards and were very silly and played Blind-man's Buff and Grandmother's Steps.

Mummy and I went in the evening to a Geographical lecture by Mr PhilbyLink opens in a new window on his journey across Arabia, it was very good indeed. Daddie of course was in the chair

Shortie and I went out and did a little shopping this morning. I bought two hanks of rust red artificial silk to make a jumper.

Cousin Alys and Cousin Romer called in the afternoon; Mummy and Daddie were out but they came in and saw me and they are coming to tea on Thursday.

Anne Bevan and Lily came to tea and we had a fearfully interesting talk on Socialism and Labour, and the League of Nations. I think we are all three Socialists though I don't know that we know very much of Socialist! Anne Bevan is a most awfully nice girl; she is a great St. Martin-ite and a member of the St. Martin's Guild of Fellowship.

Thursday May 6th 1920.

I had a letter yesterday morning from Miss Buck the Secretary of the St. Martin's Guild of Fellowship which I had asked Mr Sheppard if I might join; she sent me particulars of it and I am going to see her about it one day next week.

Miss Medd-Hall gave me a lesson at Trinity College yesterday morning and I went on to luncheon with dear old Peggy who was very worried over something that was happening. Poor child.

Daddie fetched me and we went on to meet Lily at an exibition of pictures, some of Kashmir, in Brook Street. Some were very pretty. Daddie took me from there to meet Mummy at the Amateur Arts Society's exibition in Grosvenor Square. Mr Ward Cooke, who seemed to be a shining light, had asked us to go there and have tea with him there. It was an awfully good exibition, there were water colour sketches (several by Aunt Bobs), needle work pictures, lacquer work, leather work, jewellry, lace, needlework and various other things. We went on from there to Mrs Repton who we were supposed to have been going to tea with and there we met Lady and Miss Maryon-Wilson and had another large tea!

Daddie and I dined with Uncle Jack and Aunt Madeleine at the Tower and saw "the ceremony of the keys"Link opens in a new window when they lock up at 10 o'c.

Friday May 7th 1920.

I went out with Alice and Lily and Daisy yesterday morning and we had a bun worry in the afternoon consisting of Cousin Alys and Cousin Romer, Sir William Crosbie and his daughter Marjorie and Cousin V and Oonah.

Daddie had luncheon with the Lord Mayor.

Sir Oswald Bosanquet came to dinner. He is very little altered since when we saw him last (he came home from India about a week ago).

Miss Hills came this morning.

Mummy and I went to Lucas a fur shop in the city to see about a fur coat of her's being re-made. On our way back we went to St. Martin's for the short service at 1.25 at which Mr P.B. ClaytonLink opens in a new window the head of Talbot HouseLink opens in a new window a soldiers club near Ypres, was speaking. He was very good.

I went to tea with Miss Yate an awfully pretty girl whose father has a good deal to do with the R.G.S.

Cousin Nell called this afternoon.

Miss Selfe is here doing some work for Mummy.

Saturday May 8th 1920.

Shortie and I went out this morning to get a pattern for Miss Edwards who is making me a cape.

I lunched with Cousin Gerty who was very kind and very busy as she has been made chairman of a committee to organize a fête in aid of the Y.W.C.A, but she seemed tired.

Anne Bevan said on the telephone the other day that she would come on to tea with me to-day after a matinee if she could but she didn't come so I expect she went to tea with her friend. I like her awfully.

Daddie took the Lord Mayor and Lady Cooper and Mrs Henniker (and Mummy) over the India Office this afternoon.

I had a letter from Nina this morning and the poor child has got whooping cough!

Sunday May 9th 1920.

Daddie and I went to St. Martin's this morning. The Bishop of KensingtonLink opens in a new window preached very well and he has got the kind of face that looks as if he thought everything was a huge joke which is disconcerting when he thunders out well rounded periods. We stayed for the singing practise afterwards which was very nice and interesting. We met Anne Bevan and her father coming out of church.

I reposed on my bed most of the afternoon. Daddie went out calling with no success.

Shortie and I went to the evening service at St. Martin's; at which General Sir Bevoir de LisleLink opens in a new window preached, I had never heard a layman preach before and it seemed very funny at first but he preached a very good sermon. Daddie met him when he was in France.

Monday May 10th 1920.

Mummy, Daddie and I went to luncheon with Major and Mrs Murray to-day and afterwards Mummy and I went to call on Mrs Corry. Kathleen sent down a message to ask if I would go up to her room, so I went up and found her arrayed in a dressing gown and a boudoir capLink opens in a new window; I tried on all her hats, pulled out all her frocks, did up her hair and had several free fights, then we came home.

I had a girls bun-fight this afternoon, it was huge fun. Disney Rooke, Peggy, Alice, Lois Yate and Kathleen came and we all went quite mad and made a most uproarious noise. Peggy stayed on afterwards and we had a talk.

A very nice Mrs Denham Parker who is an old friend of Mummy's came after tea.

I had a letter from Pompey this morning. He sounds rather distracted because he can't get back from France because of the strike and also the alterations to the Glen won't be finished by the time we are due to go down there.

Tuesday May 11th 1920.

Alice and I went down to Ashtead for the day to-day and enjoyed it enormously. We left by the 10.50 from Victoria armed with the "Mirror" and the "Herald"Link opens in a new window. Aunt Di met us at Epsom in the motor. The garden at the Cottage was looking quite lovely and Alice went into absolute raptures over the whole thing. We all three (and Timmy) went up to the Ralli's wild garden after luncheon. It was glorious with great masses of azeleas and bluebells. Aunt Di was as usual wonderfully kind and it was a gloriously sunshiny, hot day and we loved it all. Aunt Di took us to Ashtead which our train left at 5.50; we just caught a glimpse of Uncle Claude whose train arrived a few minutes before our's left.

Lady Cohen came to see Mummy this afternoon.

Wednesday May 12th 1920.

I had a lesson from Miss Medd-Hall this morning and went on to luncheon with Peggy who was busy making an evening dress. Poor Mrs Leigh was very worried over servants. I left there about 4 o'c and Shortie and I went in search of a printed satin to line a cloak which Miss Edwards is making for me, we finally got a very pretty different coloured one at Peter RobinsonLink opens in a new window, then we came home and had tea and then went off to see Miss Buck the secretary of the St. Martin's Guild of Fellowship whose office is at 5, St. Martin's Place. She was most awfully kind and cheerful and enthusiastic and appreciative. Shortie is going to become a member of the Guild too. We went on to see Cousin Margaret who runs the St. Martin's Girl's Club at 449, StrandLink opens in a new window and who Miss Buck said was badly in need of helpers; she was very glad to see us and said she would be awfully glad I could go and help so I arranged to go for the luncheon period on Tuesdays and Thursdays but I am going for the first time on Friday.

Mummy went to tea with Miss Buxton.

Daddie has gone to a conversatzione of the Royal Society.

Thursday May 13th 1920.

Shortie and I went this morning to Westminster Hospital to give them some things for a White Elephant sale. We saw Miss Hillier there and the very nice matron Miss Smith. We went on to the Ladies' Army and Navy Club where I met Aunt Lil and Shortie left me with her. We walked up Bond Street and almost at the beginning we met Peggy and Berta Mitchell, I had had a letter from Peggy this morning very worried because Teddie GerardLink opens in a new window had left for America the day before and she hadn't seen her to clear up a misunderstanding and didn't know she was going to America. I told Peggy I could come and see her this afternoon if she would be in and she said she would. Aunt Lil and I shopped and I went back to luncheon with her and she was fearfully kind. I went across to see Peggy about 3 o'c, she was much more cheerful than I expected not nearly so depressed as she has been for the last week. Aunt Lil very kindly dropped me at Belgrave Square for Alice and Lily's and Daisy's bun fight. It was great fun; Anne Bevan, Kathleen and Alannah Harper were there and 8 or 9 other girls including a most delightful girl by name Mary Dawson Damer who is a great friend of Alice's.

Peggy rang me up this evening to say she had rung up Teddie's maid who had told her that Teddie had sent her her love and said she was too busy to write, so now Peggy is in the 7th heaven of joy because that shows that all is well.

Friday May 14th 1920.

Miss Hills came this morning and afterwards (about 12 o'c) I went to the St. Martin's Girl's Club. Everyone was so nice and kind and cheerful and it was very nice and interesting. I was drying plates and spoons, and forks and knives practically the whole time. The girls wait on themselves; they get discs with the price on from the lady who takes the money, then they go with the disc to the cook who gives them what they want and when they have finished they bring the dirty things to us and we wash them up. The food was awfully good and extraordinarily cheap and great variety; the helpers have their luncheon first before the rush begins. There was rather a rush at one time and we had 104 people in altogether. Mrs Sheppard came in for luncheon and Cousin Margaret introduced me to her, she is awfully nice and she says Mr Sheppard is better. I left about 2.45.

Aunt Venetia has come up for the night for my confirmation which is very nice indeed.

Daddie has had a tea party at the Geographical to which Mummy went so I have been having a long talk to Aunt Venetia.

Aunt Lil, Cousin Ruth and Uncle Vesey are coming to dinner this evening.

Saturday May 15th 1920.

I am confirmed and I am so wildly happy, almost unbearably happy.

I was woken this morning by Shortie coming in with a mass of lovely white flowers from Miss Wolff and a most beautiful letter from that Saint Mr Sheppard. He says he will be thinking of me and praying for me today. He says "it is terribly hard to be a Christian no one knows that better than I do" and "God bless you and keep you very strong, your friend Richard Sheppard".

We went to the Cathedral in a taxi. Cousin Ruth met us there. There were between 150 and 200 candidates; the Service began at 11.30 and oh! it was wonderful and lovely and joyful! The Bishop of London did it and gave a beautiful address in which he said always to remember that there is a Man who has been through the uttermost darkness of life at the centre of the universe. That the three things that would bring us through were suffering, will-power and the never ceasing supply from Heaven. Then came the triumphant moment of saying "I Do" - not to the letter of what the Bishop says but the spirit of it – that you do mean to try and follow Christ. While the candidates were going up the choir sang "Our Blest Redeemer" and "Ye Servants of the Lord" very softly and slowly. So many wonderful things seemed to happen all through that time you felt that God had drawn you to the Lord Christ and He had recieved you and made you one with Him and with all the universe – with all men and with the flowers and trees and birds and all lovely things. That you had been born again of water and of the Spirit. That the Lord had called you to Him and you had come and the result was altogether beyond what you had expected Heavenly and wonderful. Heaven is the only word that can describe it. That you could never, never possibly doubt any more and that you were an entirely new and different person. The Holy Spirit came into me when the Bishop confirmed me and the Lord was there so much. Mummy and I went to see the Bishop after the Service and he was most wonderfully kind and he made me kneel down and blessed me again hard and the Lord was there and he put his arms round me and held me tight and asked me to go and see him one day.

Monday May 17th 1920.

Aunt Venetia went to luncheon with the Canon and then back to Croxton.

I went and had high tea with Anne Bevan at 6.30 and we went on to a Guild of Fellowship concert and social in the new rooms under the Church yard. It was an awfully good concert, they had a pianist, two violins and a cellist and singing and reciting. The social consisted of whist and dancing and was great fun. They danced the most terribly complicated dances - ones I had never seen before - and they were jolly good at them. Shortie came too and enjoyed it very much and Anne got Miss Buck to introduce her to people. Anne was wonderfully kind, she stayed with me nearly the whole time and introduced me to lots of her other friends and they were all so jolly and seemed so pleased to see one. Anne seems to be a great favourite.

Tuesday May 18th 1920.

Mummy, Shortie and I went to the Holy Communion at St. Martin's at 10.15 on Sunday morning. I didn't feel it so wonderfully real as I had expected which was of course my own fault but I know what it might be for one and it is a wonderful service. I knew afterwards that I had recieved Christ's Own Strength - a strength quite apart from me which is there whenever I want it - which is very often. Mummy went home after the service but Shortie and I stayed on for the morning service and Daddie joined us. Mr Matthews preached a very good sermon in which he said we wanted much more faith not for our own sakes but for the sake of others. We stayed on for the congregational singing practise and met Anne and her sister on the way out.

Mummy and I went to a big concert at the Coliseum in the afternoon. It was got up by Mark Hambourgh [ Hambourg ]Link opens in a new window the pianist for the London Fever HospitalLink opens in a new window and Miss Buxton gave us the tickets. The were a great many people performing including Ada ForrestLink opens in a new window, Tom ClareLink opens in a new window; Lilian Braitwaite [ Braithwaite ]Link opens in a new window, Irene VanburghLink opens in a new window, Dion BoucicaultLink opens in a new window, Phyllis BedellsLink opens in a new window, Mary AndersonLink opens in a new window, Ben Davis, NovikoffLink opens in a new window, George RobeyLink opens in a new window, MelsaLink opens in a new window and Mark Hambourgh who plays too wonderfully. It began at 2.30 and ended at 5.50! we tore home to see cousin Margaret who had come to tea and she and I immediately tore off to St Martin's for the 6.15 service, we couldn't get a 'bus because of the people coming away from the procession in connection with the Canonization of St Joan of ArcLink opens in a new window; so we had to walk hard the whole way there. Mr Jenkins preached a very good sermon; alas! I don't think I shall be in my beloved St. Martin's this Sunday or the Sunday after. Cousin Margaret came back to dinner with us and Lady Emma came up after dinner.

Yesterday morning Alice, Lily, Daisy and I motored down to Ranelagh and played tennis. I had never been there before, it is a lovely play and it was great fun. I enjoyed it very much

I wrote to Mr Sheppard in the afternoon to thank him for his letter and to tell him about the Confirmation and also to ask him a question which is this, Mummy does not like sung Communions and I love them and I want to know whether I ought to give them up and go with her to un-sung ones. It sounds rather a small question but there is a good deal in it.

Shortie and I met Peggy at Hyde Park CornerLink opens in a new window at 4 o'c and we walked through the Park and went and had tea at a shop in Brompton Road.

Mummy went off down to Croxton this morning to stay with Aunt Venetia for the unveiling of their War memorialLink opens in a new window to Gilbert and others who fell in the war. She dropped me on her way at the St. Martin's Girl's Club; there was a Knight of the Bath ceremonyLink opens in a new window on so our taxi had to go all round by Picadilly [ Piccadilly ] with the result that Mummy lost her train which went at 12 o'c. I was at the Club till nearly 3 o'c washing up or rather drying - most of the time but when the rush was over they put me at the table where the girls pay which was a most lurid performance because they tell you several things they want then you have to think of the prices, give them discs with the prices on and change. They were all fearfully amused at me because I got so muddled.

There is a most awfully nice little thing called Miss Simpson there who I think is there always helping Cousin Margaret.

I went to a tea fight of Kathleen's this afternoon which was quite good fun.

Shortie has gone off to a play with Mrs MacLennon and Mrs Ludgate.

Mummy had an awfully nice letter from Mr Baily this morning saying how sorry he was not to be at my Confirmation and enclosing a charming and most helpful letter for me. He came to see us this afternoon and I saw him; he is so awfully nice.

This is the day that we were supposed to be going to Devonshire but Pompey only got back from France last night owing to the strike thereLink opens in a new window and our visit is "off". Daddie and I are going down to Uncle Claude and Aunt Di for Whitsuntide which will be awfully nice but I hate being out of London on a Sunday.

I have written letters today till I am blue in the face.

Thursday May 20th 1920.

I had a most charming letter from Mr Sheppard yesterday morning saying he was so awfully glad I loved the Confirmation and about the question of the Communions he says perhaps Mummy would go and have a talk with him about it because he does so want me to go to the kind of Communion that helps me most but until he has seen her to do whatever she wants me to in the matter.

Daddie went down to Clifton for the day yesterday for a meeting of the College Council.

I had a very interesting lesson from Miss Medd-Hall.

Shortie's friend Mrs Ludgate came with us and afterwards we went and had luncheon at the Maison LyonsLink opens in a new window in Oxford Street and then did some shopping and Mrs Ludgate left us and we went to see Wolfie who seemed quite well and cheerful; she was at my Confirmation all the time and she never came and spoke to us.

We went to see Pompey and rang his bell for some time and got no answer so concluded he was out and went and had tea at Harvey Nichols and then went back and waited for a long time and he didn't come in so we went away and today he rang up to say he was in all the time and never heard the bell!

Cousin Ruth came to see me a little before 7 and was awfully nice.

Sir Harry rang up to know if we would go down to Netley for Whitsuntide but we can't because we are going to Uncle Claude and Aunt Di as I think I remarked before.

I went to my Club this morning; it was a very mild day only a little over 90 people and no rush at all which is really much more tiring because one gets so slow and sleepy My fellow-helper today was Miss Paton-Smith who helps Miss Buck a great deal.

We were going to the Academy after tea but Daddie got kept at a meeting and it was too late to go.

Wednesday May 26th 1920.

Miss Hills came on Friday morning and afterwards Shortie and I went to Hyde Park Corner and met Majorie [ Marjorie ] Hamilton and walked with her in the Park. Then we went to leave a note for Pompey and found him in and brought him back to luncheon.

Daddie and I went to the Academy after luncheon and then went off to catch the 4.53 train down to Ashtead, it was very full being Whitsuntide. It was perfectly lovely down at the Cottage the garden was a mass of flowers and we had glorious weather the whole time. Poor Uncle Claude didn't look at all well and felt very tired but Aunt Di was very well and cheerful.

Daddie and I played tennis hard on Saturday morning and in the afternoon we all went up to the Ralli's and played tennis there which was rather terrifying because there were several people there who played very well.

On Sunday morning we went to Church and in the afternoon two of the Grey boys came over for tennis and the Ralli party came down and a nice Mr Gordon from Epsom. We played hard and it was really great fun. On Monday morning Daddie went with Mr Ralli to see his orchids and Aunt Di and I went to see Mr Meres and did various other things. In the afternoon we went up to the Ralli's and watched a cricket match between Epsom College and Ashtead which the College won by one run. After tea we played tennis. I am beginning to develop a violent enthusiasm for tennis!

We left yesterday morning having had a perfectly ripping time.

Friday May 28th 1920.

I went straight from the station on Tuesday to the Club; it was a roastingly hot day but mercifully we weren't as busy as usual.

I went to tea with the Kleinworts and Miss Grey was there and an awfully nice girl called Sylvia Harrison.

I had a lesson from Miss Medd-Hall on Wednesday.

Anne Bevan came to luncheon with me and we showed her photographs of Kashmir which interested her very much.

I went to tea with Alannah at Lady Hardinge's house (she is staying with her) and Alice and Daisy were there too. Alannah is very nice indeed. Cousin Margaret dined with us us and she and I went to a concert at the Wigmore Hall which Miss Wolff had given me tickets for. Anne met us there. It was a violin recital by a man called Compinsky who played extraordinarily well and was recieved most enthusiasticly!

Cousin Margaret very kindly brought me home which we didn't reach till about the middle of the night because we waited for a 'bus which apparently wasn't running.

Mummy came home late on Wednesday evening. I think she enjoyed her time with Aunt Venetia but before she left poor Aunt Venetia was suddenly taken ill and she had a letter from Cousin Dick this morning to say they had to get a surgeon from Norwich to operate for appendicitis. Mummy is thinking of going down there tomorrow. I am most terribly sorry about it all. She has been overdoing for a long time.

I went to my Club yesterday morning and washed up with Miss Paton-Smith and we laughed so much that we nearly had hysterics. Everyone was very amused.

Alannah came to tea with me and we discussed at great length a pet idea of mine for starting a really good club for girls between 17 and 35 which everyone would belong to and where one would meet all one's friends.

Shortie and I went in the evening to watch the St Martin's Girl's Club dancing class in the New Rooms. Cousin Margaret was there and they made me dance in a set dance. It was great fun.

Miss Hills has just been.

I am going off at 1.50 to spend the week-end with Esther and Betty at their pretty house on Whitley [ Witley ] Common which will be awfully nice

Monday May 31st 1920.

Shortie took me down to Milford on Friday, Betty met me there and Shortie came back by the next train. Betty was in their Ford motor and she motored me at breakneck speed to Warren Lodge. We laided in hammocks and were throughly lazy till tea-time. Esther was out Girl Guiding and didn't get back till after tea when she appeared resplendent in a G. G. uniform. We played tennis for a bit in the evening but we were all too tired to do much. On Saturday we mowed and then lay in hammocks and lazed and read and then motored to Milford to meet a girl who might be coming but who didn't.

We played tennis after tea and were slightly more brilliant than the day before.

After dinner we played Planchette it really did spell words but it never gave us very sensible answers.

Yesterday morning Esther and I went to Church at Witley. It was a most lovely walk across the Common and a very pretty little old Church.

After luncheon we lay in the hammocks and read and then Esther and Betty started to pack for London and continued to do so - or rather to make laudable attempts to do so till past bed-time I sat and watched them and made rude remarks and read "John Inglesant"Link opens in a new window which I loved.

We came up to London by an early train this morning and I must go to bed.

Thursday June 3rd 1920.

Esther and Betty and I deposited our luggage at our respective destinations when we arrived in London on Monday and then went out shopping. We wended our way up Shaftesbury Avenue to Stagg and MantleLink opens in a new window whose wonderful cheapness we had all heard of. Esther bought a very pretty pair of dancing shoes there. We wandered through several departments and it seemed as if their prices were as depressingly high as everyone else's. Esther and Betty came back to luncheon with me.

It was Daddie's Birthday on Monday and we had a large and gorgeous iced cake manufactured by Mrs Simpson.

Katherine Grey came to tea and was very nice indeed and Betty came back for tea and went on with us to the Geographical Society's Annual Meeting at the Aeolian Hall at which Daddie gave his Presidential addressLink opens in a new window in which he pleaded for the recognition of the natural beauty of the earth in Geography.

I went to the Club on Tuesday and had great fun because there was a great rush at one time. Esther and Betty came for me there at 3 o'c and we went and swam at the Chelsea baths which was delightful at the time but left one almost limper than before (the weather is very hot and relaxing). Esther, Betty and I had tea at 4, Smith Square where Esther is staying.

Mummy and Daddie went to the Geographical annual dinner that night. Lord Jellicoe was there and lots of other interesting people. Daddie had to propose and respond to various toasts.

Yesterday morning I had a lesson from Miss Medd-Hall.

After luncheon Daddie and I went down to East Sheen and I had a tennis lesson from a professional who Aunt Di found. It was on a hard court and he taught me how to stand, how to hold my racquet and how, when and where to hit the ball all of which I hope to master in due course. I spent most of my time sending balls into other people's gardens and into trees from which a long-suffering boy had to rescue them.

We went to the Chelsea Flower Show on our way home; it was quite lovely.

Esther, Betty, Arthur Crawley and I went to "The Grain of Mustard Seed" last night. It was amusing in parts, interesting and extraordinarily well acted. Shortie met me after the play and we all came home together and were very wild and had great fun.

Daisy called for me at 11. o'c this morning and we went to the Academy and went very throughly all over it and then sat in Hyde Park and watched the people which I love. I went to luncheon with her and Mr and Mrs Kleinwort were awfully nice and kind.

I met Anne at Hyde Park Corner soon after two and we both went down to East Sheen and had tennis lessons. On the way home we changed at Hammersmith Broadway and had quite the nastiest ginger beer I have ever tasted in a Lyons. Anne came back to tea with me.

Mummy and Daddie have been doing a perfect orgy of calls and Daddie has gone to the R.D.G. Regimental Dinner.

The DerbyLink opens in a new window was won yesterday by Spion Kop at 6-1. Tetratima [ Tetratema ] was the favourite and Spion Kop was an outsider.

Saturday June 5th 1920.

I was plunged yesterday into depths of woe and gloom because on arising from the couch of slumber I beheld my face in the glass, this was not the immediate cause of my gloom but it was caused by a rash which had suddenly appeared all over my face. I went back to bed and Mummy telephoned for Sir John Broadbent who very soon came and put the lid on my fears by saying I had got measles but when he came again in the evening he said it was only German measles and quite mild. Of course I couldn't go to the Club which caused me much sorry especially as Anne is going on Fridays and I was going to the Navy and Military Tournament last night with the Greys. It is most depressing but Sir John was much more cheerful this morning and I hope with luck to be going about again in a week.

Shortie rang up Kathleen yesterday to say I couldn't go to tea with her that afternoon and asking her to write to me and I had a most awfully nice letter from her in the evening; perfect reams and very amusing. It was awfully good of her to write so soon.

Sunday June 6th 1920.

Betty came to luncheon today and we had a long conversation through the door afterwards.

Mummy and Shortie went to the Annual Service of the Cadet's Corps of the Navy League in afternoon and Mr Sheppard preached; he said being a Christian didn't mean going about like a mute at a funeral and it is very hard to be a good sailor but much harder to be a good Christian. Mummy and Shortie saw him after wards and he was awfully sorry when he heard I wasn't well and sent me his love which cheered me up greatly.

I am up and dressed which is a great relief though I havn't gone out of my bed-room.

Wednesday June 9th 1920.

Nothing much happened on Monday except that Sir John came in the evening and said I was nealy well again now and that I had been rather run down through doing too much (tragedy!).

I had a long conversation with Alice on the telephone, she was charming and most anxious to know how I was, I told her I was at death's door and my temperature was 250 which seemed to reassure her.

Dear Peggy sent me masses of lovely sweet peas yesterday morning and asked when she could come and see me.

I went out for the first time yesterday which was a great joy. Shortie and I sat in the Park and read.

Mrs Mummery and her little dog came to tea and stayed on for dinner, she is very nice indeed.

Daddie had a letter from Mr Sheppard this morning asking him to write an article on any subject for the August number of the "St. Martin's Review" and saying he hoped I was better and sending me his love. Daddie has written back to say that as I have forbidden him to write on "Humour in the Home" (which I most firmly did) he will write on "Natural Beauty in Geography".

Mummy and Daddie went to luncheon with the Reptons.

Mrs Macmillan very kindly lent us her car for the afternoon so I went and picked up Mummy at the Repton's in it and we went and paid one or two calls and drove about in the Park which was excessively nice.

We are very excited because Lilac has got engaged to a Mr Campion. I have heard her talk about his sister a good deal and I rang up Aunt Di this morning to ask her about it and she was most enthusiastic and says he is an awfully nice boy. I am most awfully glad for Lilac.

Friday June 11th 1920.

I didn't do much yesterday.

Miss Leigh ("Aunt Aggie") came to call in the afternoon and Mrs Scudamore Stanhope who is awfully nice came to tea.

I tore out after tea to buy a bundle of straw for making hats at Gorringe to finish a hat I have been making, it is black tulle edged with bright jade green straw and is a tearing success. It cost me roughly 10 bob!

Alice, Lilly [ Lily ] and Daisy sent me a huge box of lovely flowers this morning. It was most awfully kind and dear of them. I wrote them all long letters.

Shortie and I went out shopping in the afternoon; we went first to the bank and then took May (our new maid) to the food office then went to Robinson and CleaverLink opens in a new window to get a bit of yellow linen for something Miss Edwards is doing, then to Liberty where I got myself some stuff for a cotton frock; it is cotton crêpe with a most amusing Japanese design in many colours stamped on it. Then to the London Shoe Company to see about some black suede shoes which they are going to get in for me tomorrow. Then we tore home to find Peggy who was coming to tea with me. We had a long talk. Soon after Peggy had gone Esther came rushing in in a state of great excitment she is in London for the week-end and is going to a dance tonight, she asked me when I was there in the week-end to go with her and Mummy and Daddie and I were going to Lady Zetland's dance to-night but Sir John said I mustn't dance at all this week.

Sunday June 13th 1920.

Esther came round here yesterday and we went out shopping together. I secured a wonderful bargain in gloves at Peter Jones, a pair of 20 button white suede gloves which happened to be the remains of an old stock for 13/3 and they are 28/- at other shops. I also got a pair of black suede Cromwellian shape Court shoes for 45/- at the High Life Shoe Company and the buckles were 9/6; they are 60/- to 70/- at most shops. Esther came back to luncheon with me.

Shortie and I went to St. Martin's in the afternoon to a lecture by Martin Shaw the Master of the Music on "Good and Bad Hymn Tunes Compared". He had a small choir to sing tunes as illustrations and it was extremely interesting, there was a discussion afterwards.

Daddie went down to Beaulieu yesterday to spend the week-end with Mr Leslie ScottLink opens in a new window.

Mummy and I went to the Holy Communion this morning at 8.15.

Shortie and I went to the morning service at St. Martin's: it was such joy to be there again, I havn't been there on a Sunday for a whole month. Mr Matthew's preached a very good sermon. After the service we stayed for Mr Martin Shaw's congregational singing practise. He gave us two splendid new tunes one to "I Sing Alleluia Faith" and the other to "The King of Love".

Esther came in for a few minutes in the afternoon and Cousin Cecil came to call, poor dear! she has been having a great deal of trouble lately because Colonel Armitage has had to have an operation and is in a Nursing Home.

We went to tea with Lady Seafield who is very nice indeed and from there oh joy! We went on to St Martin's; it was a beautiful service and Mr Sheppard preached a beautiful sermon in which he said how very much more happy a Christian ought to be; that we ought to be known to be Christians because we were so radiantly and unconquerably happy in the face of all difficulties and troubles because though the world is dark there is a light shining beyond the world - the sun is shining behind the clouds. We get so worried thinking about tomorrow and how such and such a thing will probably make us fail where as if we only could grasp the fact that the Infinite Power is behind us and in us and therefore we cannot fail how happy we should be. In our own strength of course we should fail and are liable to take a "terrible loss" at any moment because our wills are so weak through being pupetually given in to. He says the Spirit of God is in every man and Christians are people who have realized it and are trying to live accordingly and the Confirmation is not recieving some new power from outside but bringing out the power which is in all of us, the Spirit of Christ.

Wednesday June 16th 1920.

Mrs Lucas came to luncheon on Monday and Daddie returned from his week-end having had a most delightful time at a very pretty house on the Solent and having been to see Lord Montagu at Beaulieu Abbey which he says is lovely.

I played tennis with Anne in the afternoon in the Royal Botanical Gardens in the intervals of a thunder-storm. I also went to tea with Kathleen Grey who is an excessively nice girl.

Cousin Cecil came to dinner and was most amusing, she is a perfectly dear and delightful person.

Yesterday morning I went to the Club I was very glad to get back there.

Kathleen came to tea, she is rather perturbed about her dance because they have got nearly 400 people!

Cecil rang me up in the morning to ask me to go to dinner with her but Mummy didn't want me to go out at night just yet so she came here again instead and was even more delightful than the night before.

I had a letter from Miss Medd Hall this morning.

Cousin Nell came to luncheon.

Daddie had a tea party at the Geographical (Lowther Lodge) this afternoon to which Mr and Mrs Repton, the Netherlands Minister and his wife, Colonel and Mrs Sanger and their little girl (Americans); Sir Charles HobhouseLink opens in a new window; and a Mrs Blankenburg came: it was very nice indeed.

Daddie has gone to a Political Department dinner.

Alice wrote to me the other day to ask me to go down there for the week-end this coming one and I and Shortie are going. I expect it will be great fun.

Thursday June 17th 1920.

Miss Hills came and gave me a music lesson this morning. Mrs Lucas came to luncheon.

I was going to have a tennis lesson this afternoon but I couldn't get away in time so we rang up to ask Mr Stygall if he could alter the time and he couldn't and he also said it was raining down there so I didn't go - in fact I have had a throughly lazy day which is a good thing occasionally.

Cousin Ruth came to see us after tea and was charming.

Betty is coming to stay here tomorrow night to go with me to a performance of "The Mikado" at Birbeck [ Birkbeck ] College.

I have been reading today - "Mount Music"Link opens in a new window a most amusing and delightful book by E. Somerville and Martin Ross.

My membership card of the St Martin's Guild of Fellowship came this morning. Shortie and I were elected members at the council meeting on June 15th.

Tuesday June 22nd 1920.

I went to the Club on Friday morning and Anne was there too. About a 100 little Austrian children who had come over here to be adopted were being fed in the New Rooms under the Church in the afternoon. Anne and I dashed over to see them and to see if we could help and we were allowed to go round giving them cups of water and collecting cups and doing things like that. They were mostly boys between the ages of 6 and 12 but there were a good many girls. They were mostly very cheerful and intelligent and polite but a few of the bigger girls were crying. They had labels hung round their necks with their name written on and the people who had come to adopt them found them that way.

Mr Sheppard came in just as we were leaving and I had a talk with him for a few minutes and he was very anxious to know how we all were.