National Union of Printing and Paper Workers
The National Union of Paper Workers was formed in 1914 by the amalgamation of the National Amalgamated Society of Printers' Warehousemen and Cutters and the National Union of Paper Mill Workers. The following year it was renamed the National Union of Printing and Paper Workers. In 1921 it amalgamated with the National Union of Bookbinders and Machine Rulers to form the National Union of Printing, Bookbinding, Machine Ruling and Paper Workers. The union had branches throughout Great Britain and Ireland.
The only source for family history is the volume of annual reports (MSS.39/SO/4/1/1b). Since almost all the union's existence was during the First World War, very little information is recorded. Every report, however, including those for 1919 and 1920, includes a list (by branch) of members serving with HM Forces and those who have died while on service.
Convalescent home admissions
The union opened a convalescent home at Carshalton in 1916.
The Modern Records Centre holds admissions registers for men (MSS.39/SO/6/CH/9) and women (MSS.39/SO/6/CH/11). Members are listed by date of admission and the information includes name, branch, address, date of leaving, weight on admission and leaving, and brief notes on the nature of the patient's condition.