Dr. Gihan Mudalige is an Associate Professor (Reader) in the Department of Computer Science and leads the High Performance and Scientific Computing Group (HPSC) at Warwick. His current work focuses on the development of next-generation high performance computing (HPC) numerical simulation software libraries through the utilization of domain–specific languages and high-level abstraction frameworks. The key motivation of this research is to develop techniques to automatically parallelize HPC applications while at the same time maintain near-optimal performance on diverse multi-core, many-core and reconfigurable parallel systems. As part of this work Dr. Mudalige acts as one of the main developers of the OP2 and OPS embedded domain specific languages (eDSLs), two of the earliest high-level frameworks to demonstrate the utility of these techniques for developing production-grade HPC applications.
Dr. Mudalige’s current and recent research work includes projects with Rolls-Royce plc, NAG, Alan Turing Institute, IBM TJ-Watson Laboratory, Imperial College London, University of Bristol, University of Southampton and the Science and Technologies Facilities Council (STFC). In 2018, he was awarded a four-year Royal Society Industry Fellowship with Rolls-Royce plc., focusing on developing future-ready massively-parallel CFD simulations for Exascale HPC systems.
Previously Dr. Mudalige worked as a Research Associate and Senior Researcher at the University of Oxford’s eResearch Centre for six years before joining the Warwick Computer Science faculty in 2016. He has also worked as a research intern at the University of Wisconsin-Madison’s (US) Department of Computer Science and holds a PhD. in Computer Science from the University of Warwick. Dr. Mudalige is a member of the ACM.
- If you are interested in working in the HPC research area as a PhD student, please contact me with your CV (Updated 20/08/2021).
- More news on : linkedin.com/in/gihanmudalige
- OP2 - Oxford Parallel Library for Unstructured-mesh Applications
- OPS - Oxford Parallel Library for Multi-block Structured-mesh Applications
- Tridsolve - Tridiagonal Solver Library
- FPGA Tridiagonal Solver - Batched Multidimensional Tridiagonal Systems Solver Library
- Warwick HPSC GitHub
Google Scholar | ORCID | DBLP | Scopus
- A. Prabhakar, C. Goddard, D. Amirante, I.Z. Reguly, A. Gerstenberger, J.-F. Suhrmann, S.A. Jarvis, L. Lapworth, G.R. Mudalige. Virtual Certification of Gas Turbine Engines - Visualizing the DLR Rig250 Compressor. In the Scientific Visualization and Data Analytics Showcase at the The International Conference for High Performance Computing, Networking, Storage, and Analysis (SC22), Nov 2022 Dallas TX. [Best Visualization Award] (Paper) (Video)
- G.R. Mudalige, I.Z. Reguly, A. Prabhakar, D. Amirante, L. Lapworth, S.A. Jarvis, Towards Virtual Certification of Gas Turbine Engines With Performance-Portable Simulations. In 2022 IEEE International Conference on Cluster Computing (CLUSTER), 2022, doi:10.1109/CLUSTER51413.2022.00034 (Preprint-PDF)
- K. Kamalakkannan, G.R. Mudalige, I.Z. Reguly, and S.A. Fahmy. 2022. High Throughput Multidimensional Tridiagonal System Solvers on FPGAs. In 2022: International Conference on Supercomputing (ICS '22) June 28–30, 2022, Virtual. ACM, New York, NY, USA. doi: 10.1145/3524059.3532371 (Preprint-PDF) (Video)
- K. Kamalakkannan, G.R. Mudalige, I.Z. Reguly, S.A. Fahmy, FPGA Acceleration of Structured-Mesh-Based Explicit and Implicit Numerical Solvers using SYCL, in the 10th International Workshop on OpenCL and SYCL (IWOCL & SYCLcon 2022) May 10-12, 2022. doi: 10.1145/3529538.3530007 (Preprint-PDF)
- G.D. Balogh, T.S. Flynn, S. Laizet, G.R. Mudalige, I.Z. Reguly. Scalable Many-core Algorithms for Tridiagonal Solvers, in 2022 Computing in Science & Engineering, vol. , no. 01, pp. 1-1, 5555. doi: 10.1109/MCSE.2021.3130544 (Preprint-PDF).
- A. Powell, K. Choudry, A. Prabhakar, I.Z. Reguly, D. Amirante, S.A. Jarvis and G.R. Mudalige, Predictive Analysis of Large-Scale Coupled CFD Simulations with the CPX Mini-App, IEEE International Conference on High Performance Computing, Data and Analytics (HiPC 2021) Bangalore, India Dec 2021. IEEE Computer Society (Preprint). [Best Paper Award]
- I.Z. Reguly, A.M.B. Owenson, A. Powell, S.A. Jarvis, and G.R. Mudalige, (2021) Under the Hood of SYCL – An Initial Performance Analysis With an Unstructured-mesh CFD Application, In: 36th International Supercomputing Conference (ISC 2021), Virtual conference, 24 Jun - 2 Jul 2021. Published in: High Performance Computing. ISC High Performance 2021, 12728 pp. 391-410. ISBN 9783030787127. ISSN 0302-9743. doi: 10.1007/978-3-030-78713-4_21 (Preprint)
- K. Kamalakkannan, G.R. Mudalige, I.Z. Reguly, S.A. Fahmy, High-Level FPGA Accelerator Design for Structured-Mesh-Based Explicit Numerical Solvers, in 2021 IEEE International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS 2021), Portland Oregon, USA, 2021 pp. 1087-1096. doi: 10.1109/IPDPS49936.2021.00117 (arxiv) (Preprint-PDF)
- I. Z. Reguly and G. R. Mudalige, Modernising an Industrial CFD Application, 2020 Eighth International Symposium on Computing and Networking Workshops (CANDARW), 2020, pp. 191-196, doi: 10.1109/CANDARW51189.2020.00046.
- I.Z. Reguly and G.R. Mudalige, Productivity, Performance, and Portability for Computational Fluid Dynamics Applications, Computers & Fluids, 2020,104425, ISSN 0045-7930. doi: 10.1016/j.compfluid.2020.104425. (Preprint PDF)
- A.A. Sulyok, G.D. Balogh, I.Z. Reguly, G.R. Mudalige, (2019) Locality Optimized Unstructured Mesh Algorithms on GPUs. Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing. Volume 134, pp 50-64. doi:0.1016/j.jpdc.2019.07.011 (preprint PDF)
- G.R. Mudalige, I.Z. Reguly, S.P. Jammy, C.T. Jacobs, M.B. Giles and N.D. Sandham, (2019) Large-scale performance of a DSL-based multi-block structured-mesh application for direct numerical simulation. Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing. Volume 131, pp 130-146. doi:10.1016/j.jpdc.2019.04.019 (preprint PDF)
- I.Z. Reguly, G.R. Mudalige, M.B. Giles and S. Maheswaran (2019) Improving resilience of scientific software through a domain-specific approach. Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing, Volume 128, pp. 99-114. doi:10.1016/j.jpdc.2019.01.015 (preprint PDF)
- I.Z. Reguly, B. Moore, T. Schmielau, J. du Toit, G.R. Mudalige. (2019) Batch Solution of Small PDEs with the OPS DSL. In: M. Weiland, G. Juckeland, S. Alam, H. Jagode. (eds) High Performance Computing. ISC High Performance 2019. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol 11887. Springer, Cham. doi: 10.1007/978-3-030-34356-9_12 (PDF)
- G. D. Balogh, G. R. Mudalige, I. Z. Reguly, S. F. Antao and C. Bertolli, OP2-Clang: A Source-to-Source Translator Using Clang/LLVM LibTooling, 2018 IEEE/ACM 5th Workshop on the LLVM Compiler Infrastructure in HPC (LLVM-HPC), Dallas, TX, USA, 2018, pp. 59-70. doi: 10.1109/LLVM-HPC.2018.8639205 (preprint PDF)
- B. Siklosi, I.Z. Reguly and G.R. Mudalige. Heterogeneous CPU-GPU Execution of Stencil Applications. In proceedings of the International Workshop on Performance, Portability and Productivity in HPC (P3HPC) held as part of SC18, The International Conference for High Performance Computing, Networking, Storage and Analysis (preprint PDF)
- I.Z. Reguly, G.R Mudalige, M.B. Giles. Loop Tiling in Large-Scale Stencil Codes at Run-time with OPS. (2017) IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, doi:10.1109/TPDS.2017.2778161 (arXiv preprint / accepted PDF and supplementary material )
- G.D. Balogh, I.Z. Reguly, G.R. Mudalige. (2018) Comparison of Parallelisation Approaches, Languages, and Compilers for Unstructured Mesh Algorithms on GPUs. In: Jarvis S., Wright S., Hammond S. (eds) High Performance Computing Systems. Performance Modeling, Benchmarking, and Simulation. PMBS 2017. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol 10724. Springer, Cham. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-72971-8_2 (arXiv preprint / PDF)
- I.Z. Reguly, G.R. Mudalige and M.B. Giles. (2017). Beyond 16GB: Out-of-Core Stencil Computations. In Proceedings of the Workshop on Memory Centric Programming for HPC (MCHPC'17). Held in conjunction with IEEE/ACM Supercomputing 2017(SC'17) Denver, CO, USA, November 12, 2017. ACM, New York, NY, USA, 20-29. DOI: 10.1145/3145617.3145619 (preprint PDF)
- R.O. Kirk, G.R. Mudalige, I.Z. Reguly, S.A. Wright, M.J. Martineau and S.A. Jarvis, Achieving Performance Portability for a Heat Conduction Solver Mini-Application on Modern Multi-core Systems, In Proceedings of the Second International Workshop on Representative Applications (WRAp 2017) held as part of IEEE International Conference on Cluster Computing (CLUSTER), Honolulu, HI, 2017, pp. 834-841. doi: 10.1109/CLUSTER.2017.122 (preprint PDF)
- S.P. Jammy, G.R. Mudalige, I.Z. Reguly, N.D. Sandham, M.B. Giles. Block-structured compressible Navier–Stokes solution using the OPS high-level abstraction.(2016) International Journal of Computational Fluid Dynamics 30 (6), 450-454, doi: 10.1080/10618562.2016.1243663 (PDF)
- G. R. Mudalige, I. Z. Reguly, and M. B. Giles. 2016. Auto-vectorizing a Large-scale Production Unstructured-mesh CFD Application. In Proceedings of the 3rd Workshop on Programming Models for SIMD/Vector Processing (WPMVP '16). Association for Computing Machinery, New York, NY, USA, Article 5, 1–8. (online) (PDF) DOI: doi: 10.1145/2870650.2870651 (online) (PDF)
- I.Z. Reguly, G.R. Mudalige and M.B. Giles, Design and Development of Domain Specific Active Libraries with Proxy Applications, In proceeding of the Workshop on Representative Applications (WRAp) , 2015 IEEE International Conference on Cluster Computing, Chicago, IL, 2015, pp. 738-745. doi: 10.1109/CLUSTER.2015.128 (PDF)
S.P. Jammy, N.D. Sandham, G.R. Mudalige , I.Z. Reguly, M.B. Giles. Block Structured Compressible Navier Stokes Solution Using the OPS High-Level abstraction, 27th International Conference on Parallel CFD, May 2015, Montreal, Canada (PDF)
G.R. Mudalige , I. Reguly, M. Giles, A. Mallinson, W. Gaudin, and J. Herdman, Performance Analysis of a High-level Abstractions-based Hydrocode on Future Computing Systems, In proceedings of the 5th International Workshop on Performance Modeling, Benchmarking, and Simulation (PMBS 2014), Held in conjunction with IEEE/ACM Supercomputing 2014(SC'14) New Orleans, LA, USA, November 16, 2014. Revised Selected Papers. Springer, 2015, vol. 8966, no. 1, ch., pp. 85–104. ISBN 978-3-319-17248-4 doi: 10.1007/978-3-319-17248-4_5 (pre-print PDF)
- I. Z. Reguly, G. R. Mudalige, M. B. Giles, D. Curran and S. McIntosh-Smith, The OPS Domain Specific Abstraction for Multi-block Structured Grid Computations, 2014 Fourth International Workshop on Domain-Specific Languages and High-Level Frameworks for High Performance Computing, (WOLFHPC '14) 2014, pp. 58-67, doi: 10.1109/WOLFHPC.2014.7. (pre-print PDF)
C. Bertolli, A. Betts, N. Loriant, G.R. Mudalige , D. Radford, D.A. Ham, M.B. Giles, and P.H.J. Kelly. Compiler Optimizations for Industrial Unstructured Mesh CFD Applications on GPUs , Languages and Compilers for Parallel Computing, pp.112-126, Springer, 2013. (PDF)
M.B. Giles, G.R. Mudalige , C. Bertolli, P.H.J. Kelly, E. Laszlo, and I. Reguly, An Analytical Study of Loop Tiling for a Large-Scale Unstructured Mesh Application . SC Companion 2012: 477-482. (PDF)
G.R. Mudalige , I. Reguly, M.B. Giles, C. Bertolli and P.H.J. Kelly. OP2: An Active Library Framework for Solving Unstructured Mesh-based Applications on Multi-Core and Many-Core Architectures. In Proceedings of Innovative Parallel Computing (InPar), 2012, pp.1-12, 13-14 May 2012. (PDF)
G.R. Mudalige , M.B. Giles, C. Bertolli, and P.H.J. Kelly. Predictive Modeling and Analysis of OP2 on Distributed Memory GPU Clusters . SIGMETRICS Perform. Eval. Rev. 40, 2 :61-67 (2012). (PDF)
G.R. Mudalige , M.B. Giles, C. Bertolli, and P.H.J. Kelly. 2011. Predictive Modeling and analysis of OP2 on distributed memory GPU clusters . In Proceedings of the second international workshop on Performance Modeling, Benchmarking and Simulation of High Performance Computing Systems (PMBS '11). ACM, New York, NY, USA, 3-4. Held in conjunction with IEEE/ACM Supercomputing 2011 (SC'11), Seattle, WA, USA (link) (PDF)
S.J. Pennycook, S.D. Hammond, G.R. Mudalige , S.A. Wright, and S.A. Jarvis, On the Acceleration of Wavefront Applications Using Distributed Many-core Architectures (2012) Computer Journal, 55 (2), pp. 138-153. ISSN 0010-4620 (PDF)
C. Bertolli, A. Betts, G.R. Mudalige , M.B. Giles, P.H.J. Kelly. Design and Performance of the OP2 Library for Unstructured Mesh Applications , Euro-Par 2011 Parallel Processing Workshops, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer, 2012. (PDF)
C. Bertolli, A. Betts, P.H.J. Kelly, G.R. Mudalige , and M.B. Giles. Mesh Independent Loop Fusion for Unstructured Mesh Applications in Proceedings of the 9th Conference on Computing Frontiers (CF ’12). pp.43-52 ACM, 2012. (PDF)
J.A. Davis, G.R. Mudalige , S.D. Hammond, J.A. Herdman, I. Miller, S.A. Jarvis. (2011) Predictive Analysis of a Hydrodynamics Application on Large-Scale CMP Clusters . In: International Supercomputing Conference (ISC11). Lecture Notes in Computer Science (R&D), 26 (3-4). Springer, Hamburg, Germany, pp. 175-185. (PDF)
M.B. Giles, G.R. Mudalige , Z. Sharif, G. Markall, P.H.J Kelly. Performance Analysis of the OP2 Framework on Many-core Architectures . (2011). ACM SIGMETRICS Perform. Eval. Rev. 38 (4) ISSN 0163-5999. (PDF)
S.J. Pennycook, S.D. Hammond, S.A. Jarvis and G.R. Mudalige. (2011) Performance Analysis of a Hybrid MPI/CUDA Implementation of the NAS-LU Benchmark. ACM SIGMETRICS Perform. Eval. Rev. 38 (4). ISSN 0163-5999 (PDF)
S.D. Hammond, G.R. Mudalige , J.A. Smith, S.A. Jarvis, J. Holt, I. Miller, J.A Herdman and A. Vadgama, To Upgrade or not to Upgrade? Catamount vs. Cray Linux Environment , Workshop on Large Scale Parallel Processing (LSPP) held in conjunction with IPDPS10, April, 2010, Atlanta, USA (PDF)
G.R. Mudalige , S.D. Hammond, J.A. Smith, and S.A. Jarvis. Predictive Analysis and Optimisation of Pipelined Wavefront Computations . In Proc. 11th Workshop on Advances in Parallel and Distributed Computational Models (APDCM 2009), 23rd IEEE International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS 2009), Rome, Italy, May 2009. IEEE Computer Society. (PDF)
S.D. Hammond, G.R. Mudalige , J.A. Smith, A.B. Mills, S.A. Jarvis, J. Holt, I. Miller, J.A. Herdman and A. Vadgama. Performance Prediction and Procurement in Practise: Assessing the Suitability of Commodity Cluster Components for Wavefront Codes, IET Softw (3)6:509-521. 2009. (PDF)
S.D. Hammond, G.R. Mudalige , J.A. Smith, S.A. Jarvis, J.A. Herdman and A. Vadgama, WARPP: A Toolkit for Simulating High Performance Parallel Scientific Codes , 2nd International Conference on Simulation Tools and Techniques (SIMUTools 2009) ACM SIGSIM, ICST, SCS, March, 2009, Rome, Italy. (PDF)
G.R.Mudalige , M. K. Vernon and S. A. Jarvis. A Plug-and-Play Model for Evaluating Wavefront Computations on Parallel Architectures, IEEE International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS 2008), Miami, Florida USA, April 2008. IEEE Computer Society. (PDF)
G.R.Mudalige , S. A. Jarvis, D.P. Spooner and G.R. Nudd Predictive Performance Analysis of a Parallel Pipelined Synchronous Wavefront Application for Commodity Processor Cluster Systems, IEEE International Conference on Cluster Computing, Barcelona Sept 2006. IEEE Computer Society. (PDF)
S. A. Jarvis, D.P. Spooner, G.R.Mudalige , B.P. Foley, J. Cao and G.R. Nudd. Performance Evaluation of Parallel and Distributed Systems. chapter in Performance Prediction Techniques for Large-scale Distributed Environments. Mohamed Ould-Khaoua and Geyong Min Eds. Nova Science, 2005
- Member ACM: Member of the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM).
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (UK HEA)
- List of professional activities and service