John is currently employed as Senior Teaching Fellow in the University of Warwick Centre for Lifelong Learning.
Selected Professional Activities
- 2005 – 2007: Accredited trainer, Association of Graduate Careers Advisory Services (AGCAS)
- 2002 – 2004: President of the Association of Graduate Careers Advisory Services (AGCAS) – honorary role, (Board member from 2000 – 2005)
- Sector-level impact: Working at HE sector level to make a significant contribution to the development of policies, e.g. development of quality frameworks; work with the DfES and UUK to identify best practice in developing and implementing employability strategies
- Negotiation of national services and products: Part of AGCAS negotiating team to formulate service level agreements with Graduate Prospects to ensure the sector received high quality careers products
- Profile and networks: Member of the Higher Education Careers Service Unit (HECSU) Board responsible for distributing charitable funds to the sector
- Policy and Research: Member of the HECSU Research panel, responsible for commissioning research that will deepen knowledge of ‘careers’ and encourage innovatory practice in the sector
- Member of AGCAS Executive as Equal Opportunities Co-ordinator (Sept 2000 – Sept 2002)
- Innovative Projects: Project Director for Innovations-funded project, MERITS, aimed at enhancing the employability of black and Asian students and graduates (Oct 2000 – Mar 2002)
- Presenter on AMOSSHE quality ‘roadshows’
- Charity management: Responsible for introducing strategic plan and review cycle, and the risk management policy.
Gough, J. (2011) 'Framing Occupational Identity: who are career guidance practitioners today?'. The Journal of the National Institute for Career Education and Counselling 27
Gough, J. (2010) 'The basis of professional ethics... philosophically speaking'. Careers Guidance Today 18 (2)