This guide explains what the Book resource in Moodle is, how to create it, and how to add and edit chapters.
The book resource is essentially a series of web pages in a book-like format, with chapters, subchapters, and a table of contents. A book can contain media files as well as text and is useful for displaying lengthy passages of information which can be broken down into sections.
A book may be used:
- To display reading material for individual modules of study
- As a handbook
- As a weekly textbook
In this guide:
- In the relevant Moodle space, click Turn editing on.
- Click Add an activity or resource.
- Click Book from the activity chooser.
- Give the book a Name and optional Description and choose whether to Display on the course page.
- Choose your appearance settings: Chapter formatting and Style of navigation.
- Scroll to the bottom and click Save and display. This will open the Add new chapter menu. Follow the steps below to add chapters.
- If you created your book earlier, click on the link to the book and this will open the Add new chapter menu.
- Give the chapter a Chapter title.
- Create the content for the first chapter in the Content box.
- Content can include text, images and embedded multimedia such as YouTube. Notice you can switch to HTML to paste embed codes using the </> icon.
- You are welcome to use a pre-defined template to improve the appearance of your content. View templates by clicking the Templates4U icon
- Scroll to the bottom and click Save changes. Your chapter will then be displayed on screen with a table of contents down the right-hand side.
- To keep adding chapters, click the icon which appears next to the chapter name in the table of contents. The new chapter will be created after the chapter associated with whichever icon you choose. You can also move chapters up and down using the arrows.
- As you have created the first chapter, you can now create subchapters by checking the Subchapter checkbox. You cannot create a subchapter within a subchapter.
- Turn editing off and all of the icons will disappear for each chapter in the table of contents.
As well as adding new chapters, you can also use the icons in the Table of contents to:
Edit the contents of the chapter
Delete the chapter
/ Hide/unhide the chapter
Learn more about the book resource in this video demonstration:
- Introduction to managing course participants
- Enrolment methods and managing access permissions
- Roles and their functions in Moodle
- Use groups and groupings
- Import and populate groups
- Enable activity completion
- Mark activity completion manually
- Track activity completion
- Course completion
- Course participation
- Introduction to assessment and feedback
- Create a fail / pass scale
- Create a custom certificate
- Create and manage badges
- Reports, logs and completion data in Moodle
- Introduction to eStream
- Access your eStream content
- Uploading videos to eStream
- Edit videos in eStream
- Edit video thumbnail
- Uploading a closed captions (subtitles) file to eStream
- Add eStream videos to Mahara
- Sharing eStream videos to Moodle
- Sharing an eStream video with a link
- Setup a video assignment in Moodle
- Introduction to Echo360
- Getting started with Echo360 Lecture Capture
- Getting started with Universal Capture (Personal)