Coronavirus (Covid-19): Latest updates and information
Skip to main content Skip to navigation

PGR Assessments - Frequently Asked Questions

Please note that we have amended some of our processes to enable us to administer the examination process while working remotely to the global Covid-19 pandemic. Please refer to our working remotely section for further information

Flowchart of the examination process

Where can I find information about pre-thesis submission extensions and withdrawals?

The Student Records Management team in Student Administrative Services process pre-submission changes to student records.

When should I complete the Nomination of Examiners form?

Ideally the Doctoral College should receive your completed Nomination of Examiners Form ( Form 2.) at least one month before you intend to submit. Please complete Part 1 of this form and then forward to your supervisor for completion of Part 2.

How do I submit my thesis for examination?

You should submit an electronic version of your thesis, together with completed Thesis Submission Declaration Form (Form 3.) to the Doctoral College via the online form.

You will receive a confirmation of receipt email within three working days of submission. During our peak periods we may not be able to confirm receipt should you contact us for an update.

Will I continue to have access to the Library and IT services once I have submitted my thesis?

Once you have submitted your thesis your access to facilities will automatically be extended to cover your examination period. This will include any time allowed by your examiners to undertake minor corrections or submit a revised thesis. Please note that it may take a few days for your period of registration to be extended. There is no need to obtain a new student card, unless you specifically require a card showing your new expiry date.

The outcome of my viva/examination was re-submission and I am now ready to re-submit my revised thesis. Is there anything else I should do?

You should submit your thesis as above. In addition you should provide two copies of a memo detailing how you have addressed the revisions requested by your examiners. Please note the resubmission fee is currently £200.00. You can pay the fee online.

If you are unable to pay online, please contact the Doctoral College.

The outcome of my viva was 'Pass subject to the completion of minor/major corrections'. Will I be formally notified of this by the Doctoral College?

In cases where the outcome of your viva is “Pass with minor corrections” or "Pass with major corrections", the Doctoral College does not usually notify you of this. Your examiners should provide you with a list of the corrections and the deadline for completion either at the end of the viva or shortly afterwards.

I have completed my minor/major corrections. What should I do now?

You should forward a copy of your corrected thesis to your internal examiner. If you had two external examiners you should forward the revised thesis to your examinations advisor who will forward it to the external examiner(s) nominated to check the corrections. If the corrections are satisfactory, the examiner will notify the Doctoral College.

My examiner has confirmed that I have satisfactorily completed my corrections. What should I do now?

You are now required to submit a final electronic version of your thesis and completed Library Declaration and Deposit Agreement (Form 5.) via the online form. Please note that Masters by Research students are not required to submit an electronic copy.

We are currently unable to accept bound theses - the Doctoral College will contact you to request this when we are able to do so. This will not delay the award of your degree. Details of how to bind your thesis are in Part 1 section 5. Please ensure that a completed Library Declaration and Deposit Agreement (Form 5.) is bound in before the title page. If you are placing an order with Warwick Print, please specify Library Binding. Please see Appendix B pdffor further details of our hard binding specifications. Please also check directly with your department as they may also require a copy of your final thesis.

The outcome of my viva was pass without the need to complete any corrections. What should I do now?

You are required to submit a final copy of your thesis as described above.

I have submitted my final library thesis. What happens now? When will my degree be conferred?

As soon as all the paperwork in connection with your examination has been completed and you have submitted a final library bound and electronic copy of your thesis, your name will be placed on a pass list for the approval of your award at the next meeting of the Senate. Shortly after the meeting, you will receive confirmation to your University email address and any other email address recorded on your student record. Please ensure that your email details are correct on Start.Warwick. Your award will only be conferred once you have paid any study-related debts to the University.

When will I receive my degree certificate?

Once the award of your degree has been approved by the Senate, you will be invited to attend the next Degree Congregation. You may choose either to receive your degree certificate at the ceremony or to graduate in absentia. Please note that you will not receive your degree certificate until your degree has been conferred formally at a Congregation, whether you decide to be present in person or not. Further information on Degree Congregations is available on the Awards and Ceremonies website. The Awards and Ceremonies Team can be contacted via graduation at warwick dot ac dot uk.