National level trends disguise variations in employment and skills profiles and labour market experience at regional and local levels. IER has a strong track record of examining spatial dimensions of economic, social and demographic change, and the geography of employment and non-employment. The IER's work in this field involves analyses of large spatially referenced data sets and also mixed methods and case study research - in both urban and rural areas. IER has been engaged with a range of agencies and organisations at regional and local levels. Its work has also involved evaluation of place-based policies. Another theme of research relates to local skills strategies.
- Green, A., Atfield, G. and Adam, D. (2013). Local worklessness policy analysis case studies. (Research Report No. 844). Sheffield: Department for Work and Pensions.
- Owen, D., Li, Y. and Green, A.E. (2013). Secondary analysis of employer surveys: Urban and rural differences in jobs, training, and skills. Wath-upon-Dearne: UK Commission for Employment and Skills.
- Atfield, G., Brahmbhatt, K., Hakimi, H. and O'Toole, T. (2012). Epistemological reflections on the community research process. In: Goodson, L. and Phillimore, J. (eds.) Community Research: from theory to method. London: Policy Press. ISBN 978-1-847424358.
- Green, A. (2012). Skills for Competitiveness: Report for United Kingdom. OECD Local Economic Employment Development (LEED) Working Papers, 2012/05. Paris: OECD Publishing.
- Owen, D.W., Hogarth, T. and Green, A.E. (2012). Skills, transport and regional development: evidence from a rural area in England, Journal of Transport Geography, 21, pp. 80 - 92.
- White, R. and Green, A.E. (2012). The Use of Mental Maps in Youth Research: Some Evidence from Research Exploring Young People's Awareness of and Attachment to Place. In: Heath, S. and Walker, C., eds. Innovations in Youth Research. Basingstoke :Palgrave, Macmillan, pp. 58-76. ISBN 978-0230278493
- Green, A.E. and Martinez-Solano, L.E. (2011). Leveraging Training Skills Development in SMEs: An analysis of the West Midlands, England, UK. OECD Local Economic and Employment Development (LEED) Working Papers, No. 2011/15. Paris: OECD Publishing.
- de Hoyos, M. and Green, A. (2011). Recruitment and retention issues in rural labour markets. Journal Of Rural Studies, 27(2), pp. 171 - 180.
- Rogerson, R., Sadler, S., Green, A. and Wong, C. (2011). Learning about sustainable communities. Hertfordshire: University of Hertfordshire Press.
- Shuttleworth, I. and Green A.E. (2011) Spatial mobility, workers and jobs: perspectives from the Northern Ireland experience, Urban Studies 48(5), pp. 911 - 927.
- Pringle, S., White, G., Pates, R., Cook, J., Seth, V., Beaven, R., Tomaney, J., Marques, P. and Green, A. (2011). Rebalancing the economy sectorally and spatially: An evidence review. Volume 2: International case studies. London: UK Commission for Employmentand Skills.
- Green, A.E. (2011). Spatial inequality and skills in a changing economy. London: UK Commission for Employmentand Skills. (UKCES Briefing Paper Series)
- Green, A. E., De Hoyos, M., Jones, P. and Owen, D. (2009). Rural development and labour supply challenges in the UK: the role of non-UK migrants, Regional Studies, 43(10), pp. 1261 - 1273.
- Jones, P. S. and Green, A. E. (2009). The quantity and quality of jobs: changes in UK regions, 1997-2007. Environment And Planning A, 41(10), pp. 2474 - 2495.
- Cox, A., Hogarth, T., Usher, T., Owen, D., Sumption, F. and Oakley, J. (2009). Impact of Recession on the Labour Market in the South East. Brighton: Institute for Employment Studies.
- Green, A.E. and White, R.J. (2007). Attachment to Place: Social networks, mobility and prospects of young people. York: Joseph Rowntree Foundation.
- Green, A.E. and Owen, D.W. (2006). The geography of poor skills and access to work. York: York Publishing Services.
Further publications can be accessed from the IER publication pages.
Selected recent projects
- Regional Expert Network, Department for Business Innovation and Skills (2012 - 2014) More Details
- Secondary Analysis of Employer Surveys, Lot 1 rural/urban differences in access and barriers to jobs and training, UK Commission for Employment and Skills (UKCES) (2012 - 2013)
- The Geography of the Labour Market: a Focus on Young People, Skills Development Scotland (2012)
- Final Review and Evaluation of the Mon Menai Economic Inactivity Project, Isle of Anglesey County Council (2012)
- Postcode Discrimination in Employment, London School of Economics (2012 - 2012)
- UKTRC - Social Impacts and Social Equity Issues in Transportation, University of Oxford (2010 - 2012) More Details
- Buckinghamshire Skills Study, Buckinghamshire Business First (2011) More Details
- Rebalancing the Economy Spatially and Sectorally: An Evidence Review, SQW Ltd. (2010 -2011) More Details
Job Search Study, Department for Work & Pensions (2009 - 2011) More Details
- The LEED Study On Leverage Training Skills In SMEs, with a Particular Focus On The West Midlands Region, Organisation for Economic Cooperation & Development (2009 - 2011) More Details
- Long-term Evaluation of LAAs and LSPs, Department for Communities and Local Government (2007 - 010)
- East Lindsey Skills Audit, East Lindsey District Council (2009 - 2010) More Details
- In-Work Poverty in the East Midland in 2009, East Midlands Development Agency (2009 - 2010) More Details
- Impact of Increased Unemployment on ESF Skills Provision, IFF Research (2009 - 2010) More Details
- Migrant Workers in the East Midlands in 2009, East Midlands Development Agency (2009 - 2010) More Details