The Go Green Week 2015 Disco Soup was a huge success! For the second year in a row, we've fought against food waste with amazing rhythm &peel!
With support from the sunshine and the untiring MaRaWthon, the Disco Soup crew and volunteers cooked four different soups, made six salads (with de-li-cious vinaigrette, thanks Sandy!) and feasted on salvaged bread for 3 hours non-stop!
Event outcomes in numbers:
- 100 kg of vegetables salvaged (including lettuce, butternut squash, onion, beetroot, tomatoes, sweet potatoes, celeriac, red cabbage, spring onion, savoy cabbage, Jerusalem artichoke, potatoes, peppers, garlic, carrots, green cabbage, mushrooms, mint, chives, basil, parsley, coriander, lemons, apples, pears, bananas, oranges, grapefruit, pomegranate, redcurrants, strawberries, raspberries, edible flowers...)
- 4 kg of bread salvaged
- 20 kg of fruit & veg donated to day users of The Pod
- 10 kg of fruit and vegetable peel composted at the University of Warwick Allotment!
- 150 people peeled and chopped veg for the soup and salads
- 200 people enjoyed absolutely delicious (and healthy!) food including spicy veg soup, bortsh, leek & Jerusalem artichoke soup, mixed salad, fruit salad and a beautiful array of breads!
- Approximately 400 people were reached with this event
Photography by Ben Cook
GGW 2015 Crew:
Carla Sarrouy (organiser), Nisha, Alex, Robert, Sue, John, Sandy, Jonathan, Alix, Camie, Chris, Alice, David, Vishal, Dom, Dan, Claire, Anita, Sophie, Barbora, Lewis, Ben, Chris, Sarah, Alice, Amy, Jane and many many more people that came along and gave a helping hand!
Many thanks to Graham Crump and Graham Edwards (Warwick Conferences), Mark Potter (Warwick Retail) and Jane Kim (Go Green Week).
Love Food Hate Waste advert