We are currently in the process of preparing certificates for those due to graduate this month. You will receive an email from us once your certificate has been dispatched or is ready for collection from Student Services. Please be patient during this time so that we are able to prepare and dispatch certificates as quickly as possible. If your certificate is being sent via DHL, please note that you may receive an automatic email from DHL confirming your shipment has been booked, but it may be a few days after this point when you start to see tracking information- this is normal and you do not need to contact us.
This page gives information on how certificates are issued. If you already have your certificate and require authorised certificate copies, or have lost your certificate and require a replacement, please see the links at the bottom of this page.
Your certificate will be issued in one of the following ways:
- If you attend a Degree Ceremony you will normally be presented with your certificate on the day of your ceremony;
- Not applicable for Summer 2020, Winter 2021, Summer 2021 and Winter 2022 graduates.
- If you register to defer your ceremony to a future ceremony date, your certificate will be issued on the day of your future chosen ceremony. It cannot be issued before this time;
- Not applicable for Summer 2020, Winter 2021, and Summer 2021 graduates.
- If you are not eligible to attend a degree ceremony, or choose to graduate in absentia, your certificate will be posted to you or can be collected from Student Services, Senate House (please allow for up to 8 weeks posting from the ceremony/conferral). If you are to be awarded a sub-degree qualification (e.g. Postgraduate Diploma) and wish to collect your certificate, please use our Contact Us service to let us know that you wish to collect it, otherwise we will post it to the home address on your record;
- In a small number of cases, departments arrange local ceremonies for some sub-degree qualifications. In these cases, your certificate will be collected by your department and presented at that ceremony, or, posted out to you via the department;
- Occasionally, we make arrangements for the award certificate to be sent via the University's international representatives for onward distribution/collection. This applies to graduates of the overseas IGDS programmes run by WMG, where debt is outstanding.
If you require proof that your award has been conferred by the Senate/Steering Committee before receiving your certificate, you may request a Confirmation of Award letter from Student Services. Letters can only be requested after the recommendation of the Board of Examiners has been approved by the University's Senate/Steering Committee. Please wait for confirmation of your award from Student Records before requesting one.
Information for Students originally due to attend a ceremony in January 2022
Students who were registered to attend ceremonies in January 2022 which have now been postponed will instead have their certificates posted to them in January to the address provided during graduation registration. Please check your graduation registration confirmation email for the address you provided, and contact us if you need to update this. If you need to update your address, you must contact us by Thursday 6 January 2022 so that we can update in time for posting. If you did not complete the graduation registration process, please contact us with your address.
As standard, certificates for those due to attend will be posted free of charge via our standard postal services, which are Royal Mail 2nd Class for UK addresses, and Airmail for overseas addresses. No tracking information is available for these options. Unless you notify us otherwise, by Thursday 6 January 2022, this is how we will post your certificate.
Alternatively, you can choose to collect your certificate once ready from Student Services, Senate House or you can make payment for the courier service. If you wish to collect, please contact us by Thursday 6 January 2022 confirming that you wish to collect, and the name of the person who will be collecting.
If you would like to receive your certificate by DHL courier, you do not need to contact us. Simply make the payment for courier delivery (£20 for UK addresses or £40 for overseas addresses) by completing the online payment form by Thursday 6 January 2022, and we will log your request for courier based on payments received.
For all options, you will receive an email to confirm once your certificate is dispatched, or is ready for collection. Please wait for this email.
Certificates can be made available for you or a nominee to collection from Student Services, Senate House on request. If you have nominated someone else to collect your certificate, and have not already informed us, you should Contact Us to confirm the name of the person collecting. Your certificate will only be issued to you or the named nominee on your record, and you, or the person collecting your certificate on your behalf must bring proof of identification (e.g. passport) when collecting a certificate. The maximum number of certificates that any one person can collect is five.
Graduates opting to collect their certificate from Student Services, will be notified by email when their certificate is available for collection. Students will be required to book a certificate collection slot with Student Services (a link to this will be provided in the notification email sent once the certificate is ready to collect). Please note that if you no longer have access to your IT services account you may not be able to access the online slot booking form, in which case please contact email@example.com to arrange an appropriate booking time. Please do not visit Student Services until we have confirmed your certificate is ready for collection.
If you are receiving a sub-degree award (e.g. Postgraduate Diploma, Postgraduate Certificate, Postgraduate Award, Graduate Diploma, Diploma, Certificate or Post-Experience Diploma/Certificate), please ensure that your HOME address is up to date on Student Records Online is up to date, ready for posting. If you prefer it to be posted to a different address, or wish to collect it, please to arrange this.
- Certificates sent by Air Mail will only be accepted in certain countries if a PO Box is provided. Please double-check whether your address requires a PO Box if you select Air Mail as your preferred delivery option.
- U.A.E address requirements - PO Boxes are no longer mandatory for delivering to U.A.E by Air Mail. However, delivery to other addresses will only be possible if strict criteria is met. Addresses must include a contact telephone number and the full name of the town/village. A full list of criteria is available on the Royal Mail website.
Payments for courier delivery (£20 for UK addresses or £40 for overseas addresses) should be made by completing the online payment form.
From 1 May 2021, digital certificates will be issued to awardees in addition to hard copy certificates. For more information on Digital Certificates, for current students, alumni and staff, please see our Digital Certificates web page.
Authorised Certificate Copies and Replacement Certificates:
If you have your original certificate, you can request authorised certificate copies, a stamped and signed copy of your certificate.
If your certificate has been lost or stolen, you can request a replacement copy of your certificate
Transcripts are issued by our colleagues in Student Records. We work together to ensure, wherever possible, that transcripts for Postgraduate Taught degree qualification awards are paired with certificates and issued together. Where this is not possible, Student Records will send it separately when marks are available.
You can see more information about transcripts and request additional copies on the Student Records webpages.