This page gives information on how certificates are issued. If you already have your certificate and require authorised certificate copies, or have lost your certificate and require a replacement, please see the links at the bottom of this page.
Your certificate will be issued in one of the following ways:
- If you attend a Degree Ceremony you will normally be presented with your certificate on the day of your ceremony;
- If you register to defer your ceremony to a future ceremony date, your certificate will be issued on the day of your future chosen ceremony. It cannot be issued before this time;
- If you are not eligible to attend a degree ceremony, or choose to graduate in absentia, your certificate will be posted to you or can be collected from the Student Information Centre, Senate House (please allow for up to 8 weeks posting from the ceremony/conferral). If you are to be awarded a sub-degree qualification (e.g. Postgraduate Diploma) and wish to collect your certificate, please use our Contact Us service to let us know that you wish to collect it, otherwise we will post it to the home address on your record;
- In a small number of cases, departments arrange local ceremonies for some sub-degree qualifications. In these cases, your certificate will be collected by your department and presented at that ceremony, or, posted out to you via the department;
- Occasionally, we make arrangements for the award certificate to be sent via the University's international representatives for onward distribution/collection. This applies to graduates of the overseas IGDS programmes run by WMG, where debt is outstanding to the centre.
If you require proof that your award has been conferred by the Senate/Steering Committee before receiving your certificate, you may request a Confirmation of Award letter from the Student Information Centre. Letters can only be requested after the recommendation of the Board of Examiners has been approved by the University's Senate/Steering Committee. Please wait for confirmation of your award from Student Records before requesting one.
Certificates can be made available for you or a nominee to collection from the Student Information Centre, Senate House on request. If you have nominated someone else to collect your certificate, and have not already informed us, you should Contact Us to confirm the name of the person collecting. Your certificate will only be issued to you or the named nominee on your record, and you, or the person collecting your certificate on your behalf must bring proof of identification (e.g. passport) when collecting a certificate. The maximum number of certificates that any one person can collect is five.
Graduates opting to collect their certificate from the Student Information Centre, will be notified by email when their certificate is available for collection. Please do not visit the Student Information Centre, Senate House, until we have confirmed your certificate is ready for collection.
If you are receiving a sub-degree award (e.g. Postgraduate Diploma, Postgraduate Certificate, Postgraduate Award, Graduate Diploma, Diploma, Certificate or Post-Experience Diploma/Certificate), please ensure that your HOME address is up to date on Student Records Online is up to date, ready for posting. If you prefer it to be posted to a different address, or wish to collect it, please to arrange this.
- Certificates sent by Air Mail will only be accepted in certain countries if a PO Box is provided. Please double-check whether your address requires a PO Box if you select Air Mail as your preferred delivery option.
- U.A.E address requirements - PO Boxes are no longer mandatory for delivering to U.A.E by Air Mail. However, delivery to other addresses will only be possible if strict criteria is met. Addresses must include a contact telephone number and the full name of the town/village. A full list of criteria is available on the Royal Mail website.
Payments for courier delivery (£20 for UK addresses or £40 for overseas addresses) should be made by completing the online payment form.
From 1 May 2021, digital certificates will be issued to awardees in addition to hard copy certificates. For more information on Digital Certificates, for current students, alumni and staff, please see our Digital Certificates web page.
Authorised Certificate Copies and Replacement Certificates:
If you have your original certificate, you can request authorised certificate copiesLink opens in a new window, a stamped and signed black and white copy of your certificate.
If your certificate has been lost or stolen, you can request a replacement copy of your certificateLink opens in a new window
Transcripts are issued by our colleagues in Student Records. We work together to ensure, wherever possible, that transcripts for Postgraduate Taught degree qualification awards are paired with certificates and issued together. Where this is not possible, Student Records will send it separately when marks are available. Undergraduate students will not receive a transcript, instead they have access to their HEAR.
You can see more information about the HEAR and transcripts, and request additional copies on the Student Records webpages.