This page gives information on how certificates are issued. If you already have your certificate and require authorised certificate copies, or have lost your certificate and require a replacement, please see the links at the bottom of this page.
Due to COVID-19 and the postponement of the July 2020 degree ceremonies, arrangements have been made for graduands to graduate in absentia this summer, with certificates to be posted/made availale for collection in advance of the postponed ceremonies. Please see our Coronavirus Updates for the most up to date information this year.
Your certificate will be issued in one of the following ways:
- If you attend a Degree Ceremony you will normally be presented with your certificate on stage;
- Not applicable for July 2020 graduands
- If you register to defer your ceremony to a future ceremony date, your certificate will be issued on stage at the time of your chosen ceremony. It cannot be issued before this time;
- Not applicable for July 2020 graduands
- If you are not eligible to attend a degree ceremony, or choose to graduate in absentia, your certificate will be posted to you or can be collected from Student Services, Senate House (please allow for up to 8 weeks posting from the ceremony/conferral). If you are to be awarded a sub-degree qualification (e.g. Postgraduate Diploma) and wish to collect your certificate, please use our Contact Us service to let us know that you wish to collect it, otherwise we will post it to the home address on your record;
- In a small number of cases, departments arrange local ceremonies for some sub-degree qualifications. In these cases, your certificate will be collected by your department and presented at that ceremony, or, posted out to you via the department;
- Occasionally, we make arrangements for the award certificate to be sent via the University's international representatives for onward distribution/collection. This applies to graduates of the overseas IGDS programmes run by WMG, where debt is outstanding.
Degree certificates cannot be issued before graduation under any circumstances. You cannot receive your certificate in advance of the ceremonies and, if you choose to graduate in absentia, you cannot receive it, either in person or via post, until AFTER the ceremonies conclude. If you choose to defer, your certificate will not be issued until the time of your chosen future ceremony.
If you require proof that your award has been conferred by the Senate/Steering Committee before receiving your certificate, you may request a Confirmation of Award letter from Student Services. Letters can only be requested after the recommendation of the Board of Examiners has been approved by the University's Senate/Steering Committee. Please wait for confirmation of your award from Student Records before requesting one.
Certificates can be made available for you or a nominee to collection from Student Services, Senate House on request. If you have nominated someone else to collect your certificate, and have not already informed us, you should Contact Us to confirm the name of the person collecting. Your certificate will only be issued to you or the named nominee on your record, so you must bring proof of identification (e.g. passport) when collecting your certificate, or your friend should bring theirs, if collecting on your behalf. The maximum number of certificates that any one person can collect is five.
If you are receiving a lower award (e.g. Postgraduate Diploma, Postgraduate Certificate, Postgraduate Award, Graduate Diploma, Diploma, Certificate or Post-Experience Diploma/Certificate), please ensure that your HOME address is up to date on Student Records Online is up to date, ready for posting. If you prefer it to be posted to a different address, or wish to collect it, please to arrange this.
Payments for courier delivery (£20 for UK addresses or £40 for overseas addresses) should be made by completing the online payment form.
Authorised Certificate Copies and Replacement Certificates:
If you have your original certificate, you can request authorised certificate copies, a stamped and signed copy of your certificate.
If your certificate has been lost or stolen, you can request a replacement copy of your certificate
Transcripts are issued by our colleagues in Student Records. We work together to ensure, wherever possible, that transcripts for Postgraduate Taught degree qualification awards are paired with certificates and issued together. Where this is not possible, Student Records will send it separately when marks are available.
You can see more information about transcripts and request additional copies on the Student Records webpages.