A Graduation Ceremony is a formal University event and in accordance with our Regulations all graduands must be dressed smartly and will wear full academic dress.
- Hood colours vary according to the degree to be awarded (see the full list);
- Jeans, t-shirts, casual shirts without ties and trainers/sneakers are not permitted; suitable attire is a lounge suit with a shirt and tie, a formal dress or a skirt/trousers and blouse
- Members of the armed forces may wear the appropriate uniform;
- Members of religious orders may wear their normal mode of dress;
- Graduands from overseas countries may wear their national dress;
Graduands must either hire or purchase their academic dress from the University's robemakers, Ede and Ravenscroft. This must have been in advance of the ceremony using their online order form . There is a £5 discount for ordering your academic dress from the Ede and Ravenscroft website rather than using Ede and Ravenscroft's call centre.
We strongly recommend that you order robes at the latest 2 working weeks prior to the start of the Graduation week (ie by 3 July 2018). Ede and Ravenscroft's online robe bookings form will usually close 10 working days prior to the start of the University's Graduation week.
Please see the discounted online prices to hire a gown for July 2018 below:
Robes can only be collected on the day of your ceremony.
Unless you have pre-arranged with Ede & Ravenscroft to hire your robe for an additional week (additional hire fees apply), any graduate failing to return their robe by 18.15 on the day of their ceremony except Friday 20 July and Wednesday 25 July when robing will close at 19.00, will be charged the full purchase price by the University's robemakers.