A Graduation Ceremony is a formal University event and in accordance with our Regulations all graduands must be dressed smartly and will wear full academic dress.
- Hood colours vary according to the degree to be awarded (see the full list);
- Jeans, t-shirts, casual shirts without ties and trainers/sneakers are not permitted; suitable attire is a lounge suit with a shirt and tie, a formal dress or a skirt/trousers and blouse
- Members of the armed forces may wear the appropriate uniform;
- Members of religious orders may wear their normal mode of dress;
- Graduands from overseas countries may wear their national dress;
Graduands must either hire or purchase their academic dress from the University's robemakers, Ede and Ravenscroft. This must have been in advance of the ceremony using their online order form . There is a £5 discount for ordering your academic dress from the Ede and Ravenscroft website rather than using Ede and Ravenscroft's call centre or on the day hire.
We strongly recommend that you order robes 21 days before your Graduation Ceremony in order to guarantee availability. Ede and Ravenscroft's online robe bookings form will usually close around 10 working days prior to the start of the University's Graduation week. If bookings have closed, you can enquire at robing on the day about hiring robes on the day
Please see the discounted online prices to hire a gown for July 2018 below:
Robes can only be collected on the day of your ceremony.
Unless you have pre-arranged with Ede & Ravenscroft to hire your robe for an additional week (additional hire fees apply), any graduate failing to return their robe by 18.15 on the day of their ceremony, will be charged the full purchase price by the University's robemakers.