The Performing Arts Industry recruits individuals into theatre and film, as actors, dancers, musicians, comedians, directors or behind the scenes staff. Work is often short term and can be sporadic, other employment may be needed to supplement income. Artists can work on collaborative projects with many art forms such as multimedia, visual arts and music. Experience in the area of your chosen career needs to be developed over time to evidence commitment, knowledge and understanding of the work and its demands. A strong determination is required to persevere with this career.
How do I write a CV?
This short course will take you through the basics of writing a CV.Learn
Learn how to pass interviews and assessment centers.More
Professional Associations/Trade Bodies
- Association of British Theatre Technicians ABTT - jobs, training and information.
- British Equity Stunt Register - only group for stunt professionals qualified to perform Stunts in the U.K Film and Television industry.
- Conference of Drama Schools - links to all UK drama schools
- Association of Lighting Designers
- Equity - trade union representing artists from across the entire spectrum of arts and entertainment.
- Get into Theatre - for an industry overview and to find out about work experience and placement opportunities.
- Opera Magazine - information on how to make it in Opera.
- Society of British Theatre Designers
- The Stage - vacancies for stage and screen.
- Theatrical Management Association (TMA) - trade association for theatres and producers on the middle and large scale in the UK.
- Vocalist - resource for singers and singing teachers.