Skip to main content Skip to navigation

PGR Hardship Support Fund

The PGR Hardship Support Fund provides funding to students who are experiencing unforeseen exceptional circumstances during their studies.

Postgraduate research students are eligible to submit an application for funding at any point during their registration period, including during a period of temporary withdrawal. Priority will be given to cases where an award will assist on-time thesis completion during the standard registration period. Awards will not normally be made to students more than three months into an extension period or following thesis submission.

During the cost-of-living crisis, we are prioritising PGR Hardship Support requests from those who are unfunded or have not benefited from the recent stipend increase.

If you have any queries or would like to discuss a potential application, please contact

[The PGR Hardship Support Fund] provided me with a lifeline during the coronavirus pandemic lockdown. This removed the worry about how to pay my maintenance costs and gave me the peace of mind to concentrate on completing my thesis.

Receiving these funds allowed me to work on the last details of my thesis without worrying about financial constraints and I was able to submit my dissertation on time and properly.

All applications will be considered on their own merit. The following are examples of recent successful applications which demonstrated how hardship support funding would aid resolution of a short-term issue as opposed to a persistent need for additional support:

  • Unexpected reduction to household income that cannot be mitigated against;
  • Family financial support ceasing due to unforeseen circumstances;
  • Outside factors causing an unexpected reduction in scholarship funding;
  • Transferring from another University causing unforeseen expenses;
  • Unforeseen exceptional costs relating to a disability that cannot be funded by other means;

Examples of circumstances not normally considered exceptional and unforeseen would be: