Graduate employment and skill utilisation, job upgrading, gender and the labour market, HE and the labour market, public service provision, mixed methods, quantitative and qualitative research approaches.
Dr Daria Luchinskaya is a Research Fellow at the Institute for Employment Research, University of Warwick, and a Research Associate at Wales Public Services 2025 in Cardiff. Daria joined the IER in 2011 as an ESRC-CASE funded PhD student, investigating graduate knowledge and skill utilisation in UK small and large businesses using a mixed-methods research approach. Her PhD built on the Futuretrack longitudinal survey of students who applied to study full-time undergraduate courses at UK higher education institutions in 2005/06. Between May 2015 and February 2016, she was an Early Career Fellow at the University of Warwick Institute of Advanced Study. Daria's recent projects include work on the effectiveness of the DWP Work Programme for participants in receipt of Employment Support Allowance, a review of measures to counteract intergenerational worklessness and fragile employment in Wales, and diversity in the screen industries workforce (see Research Projects for more information). She has also worked on a graduate job upgrading project at SKOPE, University of Oxford, and on developing a web-based women’s labour market information resource at the Scottish Government in Glasgow. Daria specialises in mixed-methods research, including quantitative analysis, the use of survey data, and semi-structured interviews.
- Job creation by organisation type - Cooperatives in selected European countries. With Chris Warhurst and Peter Dickinson. Funded by the European Foundation for the Improvement of Living and Working Conditions. Project Start Date: 08/01/2018 - Project End Date: 30/11/2018 [Details]
- The wider (non-market) benefits of post 18 education. With Gaby Atfield, Beate Baldauf, Wil Hunt, Peter Dickinson and Alan Brown. Funded by Department for Edcuation. Project Start Date: 16/04/18 - Project End Date: 31/07/2018. [details]
- Evaluation, research and development support for Start. With Daria Luchinskaya. Funded by U-Explore. Project Start Date: 24/11/2017 - Project End date: 30/09/2018 [details]
- Degrees of Advantage? A longer-term investigation of the careers of UK graduates. With Chris Warhust, Peter Elias, Gaby Atfield and Wil Hunt. Funded by: Nuffield Foundation. Project Start Date: 01/04/2018 - Project End Date: 30/09/2019 [details]
- Graduate labour market transitions in the UK and Italy. With Luca Cattani and Giulio Pedrini. Project Start Date: 01/07/2018 - Project End Date: 20/09/2018] [details]
- Gearing Up for STEM: Skills STEM Strategy and Action Plan, Thames Valley Berksire. With Dr Daria Luchinskaya, Dr Clare Lynotte and Olga Siemers commissioned by Adviza. project Start date: December 2016 - March 2018 [details]
- QuInnE, H2020 EURO SOCIETY 2014, Topic: EURO 2 2014. With Chris Warhurst, Sally Wright, Anne Green. Funded by: European Commission. Project Start Date: 01/07/2015 - Project End Date: 30/06/2018.
- Research into Migration in the UK Construction and Built Environment Sector. With Peter Elias. Funded by Royal Society. Project Start Date: 26/01/2017 - Project End Date: 25/04/2017 [details]
- Diversity in the screen industries. With Mark Banks, Doris Eikhof, Jack Newsinger, Daniela Rudloff. Funded by: British Film Institute. Conducted by: CAMEo Research Institute for Cultural and Media Economies, University of Leicester. Project Start Date: 01/06/2016 - Project End Date: 31/10/2016.
- Luchinskaya, D., Ogle, J., Trickey, M., Poole, E.G., and Ifan, G. (2017). 'Welsh Government Budgetary Trade-offs: Looking Forward to 2021-22.' Report (September). Cardiff: Wales Public Services 2025.
- Luchinskaya, D. and Green, A. (2016) 'Breaking the Cycle: What Works in Reducing Intergenerational Worklessness and Fragile Employment.' Report (June). Public Policy Institute for Wales: Cardiff.
- Hughes, D., Kispeter, E., and Luchinskaya, D. (2016) 'Hard Times: smoothing transitions in the Employment and Support Allowance customer journey.' Report (June). Prospects Services: Kent.
- Luchinskaya, D. and Ovchynnikova, O. (2011) ‘The Bologna Process Policy Implementation in Russia and Ukraine: Similarities and Differences’, European Educational Research Journal, 10 (1), pp. 21-33. Shortlisted for EERJ 2009 Best Paper Competition. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.2304/eerj.2011.10.1.21
All conference presentations
Daria is a part-time tutor at the Department for Continuing Education, University of Oxford, teaching online short courses in Public Policy Economics and in Inequality and Labour Markets.
She has previously worked as a lecturer in economics at St Anne's College, University of Oxford, where she taught the following courses:
- Introductory mathematical methods for economics (applied mathematical methods including sequences and series, functions, and constrained and unconstrained optimisation; first-year students in Philosophy, Politics and Economics)
- Quantitative economics (applied introductory statistical methods for economics, ranging from hypothesis testing to regression analysis; second-year students in Philosophy, Politics and Economics and in Economics and Management)
Awards and prizes
- IAS Early Career Fellowship (Institute of Advanced Study, University of Warwick, 2015-16)
- ESRC 3-month PhD Internship, carried out at the Scottish Government, Employability, Skills and Lifelong Learning Division (summer 2013)
- ESRC-CASE three year PhD Studentship (Institute for Employment Research, University of Warwick, in conjunction with the Higher Education Careers Service Unit as the collaborating CASE partner, 2011-14)
- HEFCE-AHRC-ESRC-supported Centre for East European Language Based Area Studies (CEELBAS) two year MPhil Studentship (St Anne’s College, University of Oxford, 2008-10)
- Associate Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- British Sociological Association
- Society for Research into Higher Education
- Organiser of 'What is a graduate job? A head to head on graduate job classifications' expert seminar, 09 November 2016
- Student representative for IER Student Staff Liaison Committee (SSLC), University of Warwick, 2013-14
- Co-organiser for CEELBAS Postgraduate Conference, University of Oxford, 17-18 March 2010
- Initiator and editor-in-chief of the St Anne’s Academic Review (STAAR) e-journal, 2008-10