Peter has been a researcher/evaluator for his whole career and has directed, managed and delivered over 100 research, evaluation and support projects. These projects have involved:
a range of clients (supra national, national, subregional, local government and third sector organisations);
a number of policy areas (learning and skills, employment, economic development, worklessness, poverty, social isolation and sustainable development);
across the learning and skills agenda: schools, FE, HE, careers and IAG, enterprise, apprenticeships, NEET, foundation learning, e-learning, offender learning, financial and pastoral support, employer co-funding, learner loans, qualification reform, employability, functional skills, ESOL, green skills, area reviews, and local skills strategies;
qualitative research methods, including: process evaluations; literature reviews; rapid evidence reviews; policy analysis; behavioural insights; comparative analyses; focus groups with learners, residents, employers, providers; face-to-face and telephone surveys and interviews, and; peer review;
quantitative research methods, including: impact analysis; cost benefit analysis (Social Return on Investment and Net Present Value), and; telephone, postal and e-surveys;
Rigorous data and information analyst:
- qualitative analysis: thematic and contextual analysis;
- NVivo, systematic literature reviews, grounded theory, and delphi methods;
- quantitative analysis: regression, cross tabulation using Excel and SPSS;
- triangulating qualitative and quantitative analysis forward planning to embed structures facilitating triangulation of information and data.
- Dickinson, P. (2019) Choices students make between different post-18 education routes. London: Department for Education
- Luchinskaya, D. and Dickinson, P. (2019). The adult skills gap: is falling investment in UK adults stalling social mobility? London: Social Mobility Commission (Social Mobility Commission Report).
- Skills Advisory Panels Feasibility Study, Forthcoming. Department for Education
- Work experience and vocational/technical provision for young people on SEN support, December 2018. Department for Education
- Report of the West Midlands Productivity & Skills Commission, August 2018. West Midlands Combined Authority Productivity & Skills Commission
- The impact of the apprenticeship levy, June 2017. Association of Employment and Learning Providers
- Evaluation of the Degree Apprenticeship Development Fund: Interim Report, March 2017. HEFCE
Evaluation of STRIVE employment support for homeless people, 2015. DCLG
Evaluation of Getting Ahead: the Symud Ymlaen/Moving Forward project —Interim Report, December 2014. Big Lottery Fund
Research on Understanding Localised Policy Interventions in Business Support and Skills, 2013. BIS Research Paper No. 156, BIS.
International Evidence Review on Co-funding for Training, 2013. BIS Research Paper No. 116, BIS.
Evaluation of the European Social Fund Innovation, Transnational and Mainstreaming projects, 2012. DWP Research Report No. 817, DWP.
All conference presentations