Skip to main content Skip to navigation


In this section


Any students travelling away from the University for conference of research purposes should ensure that they keep their supervisors informed of their travel plans. Students need to provide a schedule of their movements, contact details and an outline of how they will keep in touch with supervisors if away for a significant period.

Any travel bookings funded by the University will need to be permissible under University Financial Regulations.

Funded students should first check with their funding provider for authorisation to use the funds and for any details of restrictions or conditions.

Any students making travel arrangements that are to be paid by University funds should note the following important points about travel booking:

  • All expenses claims should be submitted within 3 months of the expense being incurred
  • ALL overseas travel (outside of UK and EU) bookings MUST be made via the University Travel Agent, Key Travel
  • Any travel and accommodation booking in the UK and EU which total more than £1000* need to be booked via the University’s authorised travel agents, Key Travel
  • The Finance Office have regulations regarding Airbnb accommodation bookingsLink opens in a new window
  • Expenses claims submitted near the end of the financial year (31st July) must be received by no later than the end of the 1st week of July.

For full details of allowable expenses, please refer to the expenses guidance provided by the Finance Office opens in a new window

AirBNB Bookings

The University does NOT recommend using AirBnB properties

Accommodation should be booked either direct with hotels or by using a reputable accommodation supplier with flexible cancellation policies and clarity on the H&S standards imposed.

Any students considering AirBNB bookings should contact the PG Coordinator at for further advice, as there are additional procedures and checklists that must be followed in order to obtain approval to make AirBNB bookings.

Risk Assessments

If you are travelling on University business to an overseas territory you are required to complete a risk assessment prior to travelling. It is the responsibility of the person travelling to ensure they have completed a risk assessment before making any travel bookings. You are also advised to visit the Foreign Commonwealth & Development Office to check travel advisory details for individual countries.

Any work overseas (including PGR students) will be covered by the University’s travel insurance policy (which includes medical cover) on approval of the risk assessment form. Please refer to the Overseas Travel Insurance page for further information and policy information details.

To access the form and for further details, please visit:

If you require any advice on completing this form, please speak with the Departments executive assistant Emma RussellLink opens in a new window in the first instance. Any completed forms should be sent to Emma for approval prior to travelling

Change of study location

If students are planning to study away from the University for a period of more than three months, then this should first be discussed with your supervisor and then the Department notified via e-mail to

Any students studying at Warwick on a Student Visa will need to complete an official notification to the Student Records Department, as the change of location will need to be reported to the Home Office. For full details and links to how to complete a Change of Study Location notification, please visit:

*This information was updated on 10/05/2024 following a Financial Regulations policy update



Welfare and Support

Research Course Regulations

Progression and Examination

Expected Participation

Personal Development

Funding and Travel Support

University PG Research Support

Student Voice