Groups can be used for collaboration and reflective group learning as they enable staff and students to:
- Encourage the use of project-based practices, negotiation skills, and positive interdependence
- Set tasks to be shared and completed by the group
- Share files and other artefacts
- Create and edit pages and collections together
- Support reflective writing using journals
- Enable peer appraisal using the group forum
- Scaffold the subsequent portfolio creation using a template with clear instructions
The guides below are aimed at tutors creating groups for students. Students can also create groups but have fewer options.
For information on the differences, and on groups generally, please see https://manual.mahara.org/en/19.04/groups/groups.html
Create a group
See Create a group and add members for more information on getting started.
- Small groups - add people individually to the group.
- Large groups - create the group as Request, or Open access, and email the students a link via Moodle or Mass Mailing. If open, update this to rRequest once all the students have joined the group.
Manage the group homepage
The homepage is the shared group space where a group can work together to create a reflective or project-based portfolio by adding shared artefacts to pages and collections. These can then be copied to the individual members personal portfolio collection for submission via Moodle.
Similarly, academics can create a template portfolio and share this to all group members from the homepage.
The information on this page relates to Mahara 20.04 and was last updated August 2020.
- Introduction to managing course participants
- Enrolment methods and managing access permissions
- Roles and their functions in Moodle
- Use groups and groupings
- Import and populate groups
- Enable activity completion
- Mark activity completion manually
- Track activity completion
- Course completion
- Course participation
- Introduction to assessment and feedback
- Create a fail / pass scale
- Create a custom certificate
- Create and manage badges
- Reports, logs and completion data in Moodle
- Introduction to eStream
- Access your eStream content
- Uploading videos to eStream
- Edit videos in eStream
- Edit video thumbnail
- Uploading a closed captions (subtitles) file to eStream
- Add eStream videos to Mahara
- Sharing eStream videos to Moodle
- Sharing an eStream video with a link
- Setup a video assignment in Moodle
- Introduction to Echo360
- Getting started with Echo360 Lecture Capture
- Getting started with Universal Capture (Personal)