Import (copy) content from one Moodle space to another
This guide explains how to copy content from one Moodle space to another. To be able to do this, you must have editing permissions both in the space you want to copy from and the space you want to copy to.
Importing content adds to existing content within the space. It does not replace it.
If you are copying content from a space using the grid format and wish to copy the grid images into a new space, ensure that your destination space is also using grid format before importing. See the guide Change course format for help with this.
- Log in to Moodle and navigate to the space which you want to import content into.
- Click on the Actions menu in the top right-hand corner and click Import.
- You will be presented with a list of spaces for which you have editing rights. Click the radio button to the left of the space you wish to import content from. If you cannot see it in the list, use the search box at the bottom.
- Click the Continue button.
- By default, all items are selected. De-select any item which you do not want to include and click Next. Note that while groups and groupings can be copied over, these do not include group members.
- On the next page, check that everything you want to import is selected. You can use the select all/none buttons at the top of the list and go through to select/de-select individual items. You can select/de-select whole sections by ticking the box next to the section title. You must keep a section ticked when you have an item in that section which you wish to import.
- If you import a section that has a bespoke title and/or summary, this text will be copied only if they are blank in the destination Moodle space. If they are not blank, the title and/or summary will not be overwritten. Therefore, if you want to import the section title or summary, you must ensure that you delete the ones in the destination space.
- Deselect the Announcements forum as the other space will already have one of these and duplication can cause confusion.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Next.
- Review the items to be imported. Those with a tick will be imported, those with a cross will not. Click Previous if you need to make amendments. Otherwise, click Perform import.
- You will see a status bar, showing you how the import is progressing.
- You should receive a message saying "Import complete. Click continue to return to the course.” Click the Continue button.
- You will return to the homepage of the Moodle space. The items you imported will have been placed in the same position as they were in the original space. For instance, a quiz that was in section 2 of your previous space will appear in section 2 of your current space.
- If you have imported any date-restricted items or activities with deadlines such as assignments or quizzes then the dates will require updating.
The information on this page relates to Moodle 3.10 and was last updated August 2021.
- Introduction to assessment and feedback
- Create a custom certificate
- Create and manage badges
- Reports, logs and completion data in Moodle
- Introduction to eStream
- Access your eStream content
- Uploading videos to eStream
- Edit videos in eStream
- Edit video thumbnail
- Uploading a closed captions (subtitles) file to eStream
- Add eStream videos to Mahara
- Sharing eStream videos to Moodle
- Sharing an eStream video with a link
- Setup a video assignment in Moodle
- Introduction to Echo360
- Getting started with Echo360 Lecture Capture
- Getting started with Universal Capture (Personal)