This guide gives you an overview and links you to resources that help you to structure and format a Moodle space: how to add blocks, how to add activities and, resources, and how to change course details.
See also the guide on how to Edit your Moodle space for more information on turning on and accessing editing tools in your Moodle space.
- Topics - each section fully expanded with a title and contents visible in a long list.
- Weekly - organised with a section for each week of your course.
- Collapsible topics - a version of the topics format that adds collapsing behaviour to sections in order to reduce page size.
- Social - designed around a forum for a more free-form experience.
- Single-activity - a single section with a single activity.
There are two other formats currently available, Collapsed Topics and Grid, but these are not accessible and we do not recommend their use.
Course sections break up the course into manageable or logical sections which could relate to a time period, a particular project or to a pedagogic process of your choice. Sections are displayed differently depending on the course format chosen.
Editing course sections
What are blocks?
Once your structure is complete, the next step is to add content to your course by adding resources and activities.
Lay out a course
- Introduction to managing course participants
- Make your course visible to students
- Enrolment methods and managing access permissions
- Enrol participants using Warwick auto-enrolment
- Manually enrol participants onto a Moodle space
- Roles and their functions in Moodle
- Groups and groupings
- Enable activity completion
- Mark activity completion manually
- Track activity completion
- Course completion
- Course participation
- Introduction to assessment and feedback
- Create a fail / pass scale
- Create a custom certificate
- Create and manage badges
- Reports, logs and completion data in Moodle
- Create an assignment
- Create an assignment for group submission
- Set up Turnitin within an assignment
- Create and grade a submission using a rubric
- Use a marking workflow for assignments
- Blind marking
- Allocate markers to specific submissions
- Provide grades and feedback for individual assignments
- Check the status of submissions
- Hide or show grades and feedback
- Introduction to eStream
- Access your eStream content
- Uploading videos to eStream
- Edit videos in eStream
- Edit video thumbnail
- Uploading a closed captions (subtitles) file to eStream
- Add eStream videos to Mahara
- Sharing eStream videos to Moodle
- Sharing an eStream video with a link
- Setup a video assignment in Moodle