This guide gives you an overview and links you to resources that help you to structure and format a Moodle space: how to add blocks, how to add activities and, resources, and how to change course details.
See also the guide on how to Edit your Moodle space for more information on turning on and accessing editing tools in your Moodle space.
- Topics - each section fully expanded with a title and contents visible in a long list.
- Weekly - organised with a section for each week of your course.
- Collapsible topics - a version of the topics format that adds collapsing behaviour to sections in order to reduce page size.
- Social - designed around a forum for a more free-form experience.
- Single-activity - a single section with a single activity.
There are two other formats currently available, Collapsed Topics and Grid, but these are not accessible and we do not recommend their use.
Course sections break up the course into manageable or logical sections which could relate to a time period, a particular project or to a pedagogic process of your choice. Sections are displayed differently depending on the course format chosen.
Editing course sections
What are blocks?
Once your structure is complete, the next step is to add content to your course by adding resources and activities.
Lay out a course
- Introduction to managing course participants
- Make your course visible to students
- Check participants
- Enrolment methods and managing access permissions
- Enrol participants using Warwick auto-enrolment
- Manually enrol participants onto a Moodle space
- Roles and their functions in Moodle
- Switch to another role
- Create groups
- Create groupings
- Using group mode with activities
- Enable activity completion
- Mark activity completion manually
- Track activity completion
- Course completion
- Course participation
- Introduction to structuring your course
- Choose or change the format of your course
- Add a course header
- Add a course description
- Add a block
- Move or delete a block
- Manage sections within a Moodle space
- Add, move, delete or hide a section
- Restrict access to sections and activities
- Using tags in Moodle
- Introduction to assessment and feedback
- Create a fail / pass scale
- Create a custom certificate
- Create and manage badges
- Create an assignment
- Assignment submission types
- Assignment settings
- Create an assignment for group submission
- Set up Turnitin within an assignment
- Create and grade a submission using a rubric
- Use a marking workflow for assignments
- Blind marking
- Allocate markers to specific submissions
- Provide grades and feedback for individual assignments
- Check the status of submissions
- Hide or show grades and feedback
- Introduction to Vevox
- Get help with Vevox
- Converting from Turning Point to Vevox
- Polling in PowerPoint using the Vevox add-in
- Polling and Q&A all running within the Vevox dashboard
- Polling in PowerPoint, plus Q&A
- Request a Vevox account
- Information about Vevox for students
- Use Teams with Vevox personal response system